Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My future is careening towards a purchase of this nature I'm willing to accept suggestions, I do not own a 1911 yet. I have been looking on colts website and saw the colt defender and the colt new agent I'd like opinions on those I liked the new agent more. My concerns would be accuracy and recoil with these small .45 caliber pistols. It will be carried ccw the gutter sight wouldn't be a problem I do shoot a full size rugger p345 it's a pain to carry so I want a smaller unit

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
︻┳テ=一;518667 said:
. . . My concerns would be accuracy and recoil with these small .45 caliber pistols. . .
Accuracy may not be a problem considering the close range that these pistols are designed for. IMO, functionality would be more of a problem. I don't own a compact, but it's my understanding that the recoil spring(s) are pretty stiff hence they are very sensitive to using ammunition powerful enough to cycle the action which brings with it increased recoil. Might consider renting your future purchase at a range first just to see if it is everything that you want. Just my dos centavos.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if that's the case what if I were to Jump up a size like the officer are they even made anymore then perhaps the next size is a commander maybe I need the weapon to be more concealable I have a hard time achieving this with my p345 I'm 6 foot 145 so I'm skinny yeah I said it lol I'm just lost in the 1911 arena tks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a pm someone suggested a sig sauer c3 I'm going to look at it now

·
Registered
98 Posts
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.2 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> It seem I recall in 1910 that God and John Moses had a discussion about the barrel length of the 1911 and they decided it should be 5”.
I agree them, a 1911 with a 5” barrel isn't hard to conceal.
A 3” 1911 function, muzzle blast and recoil can be a problem.
When I got tried of carrying my 5” 1911, to S&W J-frames, Model 37, Model 637 and Model 60 w/3” barrel.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I've a commander sized 1911;
The Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion.
I came finished in their 'armory Coat', similar to a Green T finish, but certainly not the Birdsong finish. actually, it came with a Black slide and green alloy frame. it is of a bushingless bull barrel design, with a recoil reducing guide rod. it has Novak nite sites, and an ambi safety, which works well with my left-handed-ness.

It shoots really well, is extremely accurate, and conceals great. it's slender, and with the proper holster, it rides high and tight to the body. I have done NOTHING to it except shoot it, well that and a set of custom grips. It is ultra reliable, have never had a feed or fire issue in 2500+ rounds.
In an IWB, it just about disapears.
The alloy frame makes the gun very light on the waist.
I prefer a Blade-Tech OWB holster with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome gun I'll look and see what I can find in that size

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not doing so well in this 1911 department I'm starting to think to get a commander frame I mean how much of a difference in accuracy would I really be losing with the 3 in barrel let's say compared to a 4.25 inch this pistol is self defense and recreational only I like the 45 to much to just get a 9mm sized gun see my dilemma is or can the recoil be that bad ?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
The 4.25" barrel of my Commander [read Champion] shoots as accurate as my government model 5"
Canno answer for an Officer's version, nor the compact 3".

Can tell you though , If you went 9mm, and wanted small, consider the Smith M&P compact. I have one, dead accurate and 12 rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been looking for what I want and I'm having no luck if I were to purchase a 1911 it would have to be a colt hands down even though the sig c3 was a nice looking pistol it's not the same to me and colts selection seems to be slim now

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a new Colt Commander in .38 SUPER...It is the light weight version and I can carry it all day with no discomfort and it conceals in a leather paddle behind my right hip point. ^([email protected]* don't make this too difficult...!! Mind..you WILL NEVER find the perfect weapon to cover all your wants.... Just like all of life....finding the perfect gun OR the perfect woman is a COMPROMISE..!! Colt Commander, in any caliber, is the perfect compromise for an excellent all-purpose carry piece........!!!!! Good Luck..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree to that life would be grand if my p345 was a touch smaller it is a beast never jams it's somewhat accurate I can get fist sized groups at 30 feet it's just to big that's why I want the smaller 1911 so I can conceal it better even my sig sauer mosquito prints big time and it's 90 percent the size of a 226

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
It's my understanding of the subject that the shorter a 1911 barrel/slide, the harder it is to make them reliable. If that's true then the 4.25" guns would be more likely to perform than the 3" guns.

As far as accuracy, for self-defense ranges it shouldn't matter. Muzzle blast? Any of them will pale in comparison to a 2", ported, .357 revolver with full loads!

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the shorter barrel, it isn't necessarily accuracy you sacrifice, but power. 3" does not give near enough barrel to accomplish powder burn-out. The smallest barrel I recommend in .45acp is the Commander's 4.25"

It's been my main carry gun for +30 years and it's been used. I agree on 5" as the best length and agree it is not hard to conceal. I do so regularly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok they have some lookers now all different models could someone explain them to me a lot of models I saw very nice indeed

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a colt officer's model ss it's as accurate as my gov't model and as reliable. Don't go with an alloy frame as the felt recoil is more noticeable with the lighter frame.I shoot fullpower 200gr XTPs and it is very manageable.I also shoot midrange 200gr SWC for practice both function flawless and no need to change recoil springs.I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster ,works very well.IMO the 3-1/2" barrel is ideal for ccw.Hope this helps

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm goon to a shop tomorrow to get the feel for the 1911 I called and they have several for me to attempt to conceal on my wiry frame I hope all goes well I will keep everyone informed

·
Registered
149 Posts
With all respect, I don't see how you'll be happy with the size of the 1911 platform. Your Ruger is no larger than a Commander, though you'd have to have them side x side to see that. Thus, with a chopped 1911, you lose grip to hold onto, and muzzle to keep it stable in your waist. Your muzzle flip will also be dramatically increased, along with the recoil.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts