Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently traded for a 3 screw ruger single six,  it has a 5 digit serial number, 63XXX,  any one have any sources to date this?

·
Banned
738 Posts
gutpile,
According to the chart I printed from the Ruger web site your SS would be a 1957 to 1958 vintage.

A nice little oldie.

My SS6 was made in 1967.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
j miller,  thank you for the information,    i just stumbled on it at a local shop and traded for it, i'm glad i did now.  it has most of its blueing but also has some tiny rust spots on the top strap, and on the cylinder,  im thinking about getting it reblued, but i dont want to ruin any collector value, any opinions on this?   its action is very tight, it has an excellant bore and it shoots better than i can hold it.  i have been wanting a single six ever since i sold my first one twenty years ago,   i think i'll keep it.....thanks again,    gut.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Gutpile,
I know how you feel.  My SS6 has some wear marks on it too. And some damage caused by the idiot who had it before me.  
All the grip frame screws had badly deformed slots, a couple that literally dug metal out of the screw holes in the grip frame.  I have some Birchwood Casey aluminum black on order at a local shop.  And I had to get a gunsmith to repair one the screwholes that had been crossthreaded.  Grrrrrrrr.
But I had always wanted a matched set of SA's.  One in .45 Colt and a companion piece in .22.  The two I have is about the best match I could want.  I WILL be keeping them.  
As for getting an OM Ruger reblued......................

A:  If you send it to Ruger they WILL install the conversion action weather or not you want it.
B:  If your gun has the old XR3 grip frame, Ruger does not have replacements. So if they are to refinish the aluminum parts it will be returned to you with an XR3-RED frame on it.

If I ever have any of my OM Rugers worked on, or refinished it will be done by a gunsmith that I trust.  Not Ruger.
As for me, a gun has to have almost no blue on it before I will have it reblued.
As for the tiny rust spots you described, I would gently clean them with Hoppes 9 and some soft 0000 steel wool.  Use just a tiny bit of scrubbing motion.  There might be a spot or two that has no blue but the rust should go away.
Last weekend at a gunshow I saw a Single 6 about the same vintage as yours.  I checked the price, they had 350.00 on it I think.  All I could do was wince and walk away.  I would have loved to have it.
Wow, I'm wordy tonight.
Enjoy your S6, you got a good shooter.
Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the aluminum black product from birchwood-casey?  i'm not familier with that, but i guess i need to be, because the grip frame on my SS has hardly any finish,  how is it applied?  i looked at the Brownells catalogue and they offer a brass grip frame for around a hundred bucks,  i'm thinkin one of those would be nice...  Ruger wont be getting this one to make it lawyer proof, i know a good gunsmith who will do any work it might need,  also, the screw slots on this one  are in good shape, it dont look like a screw driver has been in them since it left the factory,   oh, by the way,  i have 250.00 in this one, if the going price is 350, i guess i got a good deal,   'course we both know that gun shows tend to jack prices up....thanks for your replies joe...gut

·
Banned
738 Posts
gutpile,
The aluminum black from Birchwood Casy is a liquid product.  I haven't used it yet, but it appears to be the aluminum equivelent to cold blue.  I have seen the stuff around for a long time and never felt the need.
As for refinishing an entire grip frame I have no idea of how it would work, or how long it would last.  
I was going to touch up the screw holes in the grip frame so it wouldn't look so bad.
As for honest wear from use and handleing I don't really wory about that.

The brass grip frames look nice.  I think they are the XR3-RED shape though. Never owned one myself.  I have been told that they require a lot of fitting.  Seems resonable to me.  That way they will be right, and look good.

I think the $250.00 price is OK.  If the one I saw at the gunshow had been near there, I would own it now.  And yes I agree a lot of gun show prices at the gun shows are inflated.  Especially on older desireable guns like your Single 6.
Mine was a gift.  Bought three years ago at the same gun show by my Uncle.  He paid $240.00 for it.  It is a Super Single 6.  Adjustable sights, "fluted" mag cylinder.  6.5" barrel.  I haven't really got to shoot it much.  But I enjoy having it.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts