Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mr. William Pinole, a 61 year-old farmer near Igo, California, was peacefully sleeping in his bed one night last summer, when suddenly, he was awakened by clucking chickens. He automatically figured that the coyotes in the area were at it again and he qucikly grabbed his 12 gauge shotgun to disburse them properly.

Once Mr. Pinole got half way to the chicken coop, he could plainly see that his chicken raider was no coyote, it was a large black bear. Mr. Pinole leveled his Remington pump shotgun at the bear and fired three times in rapid succession. The bear became irate after being shot and instantly charged Mr. Pinole.
The bear pounced upon Mr. Pinole and began to claw and bite him all over.

In the end, Mr. Pinole needed to have his face, arms, legs, and bladder stitched back together at a nearby hospital. Mr. Pinole was released after one week of hospital observation. No sign of the bear was ever discovered after the shooting and subsequent mauling.

Once again, we hear about a shotgun being ineffectively used against a bear.

This is perhaps a situation where the proper slugs weren't used in Mr. Pinole's shotgun. :rolleyes:

Reference: http://www.redding.com/news/2009/aug/18/bear-mauls-bowhunter/

PS.

Mr. Pinole, might want to give Mr. Gates a call for some Dixie Slugs! :)

( Double-Click onto Photo to Enlarge Images )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Although I didn't fire the shot, I watched a black bear get dispatched with one shot of buckshot to the head from about 10 yards.

No mention of how far away the first shot was? Kind of critical for using a shotgun with shot. Another case of a poorly applied gun that would have been perfectly adequate if used properly.

Koanbred, why do you insist on doing this? Why are you so fearful? I'm beginning to feel very sorry for someone who seems to live in a world that so terrifies you. Living in fear makes people do and say things that are not appropriate, and which tend to spread the fear to others who are susceptible. It would be good for you and the readers here, if you would just get over your "big bad bear" obsession.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Sask, I don't think it's fear, so much as some desire to sensationalize. Every post he's made is chock full of exclamation points and inflammatory comments that I'm certain are made strictly to draw a reaction. After initially welcoming his enthusiasm, I have definitely grown weary of the falseness and transparency of his every thread and post.

Where is Tang when we need him?! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Although I didn't fire the shot, I watched a black bear get dispatched with one shot of buckshot to the head from about 10 yards.

No mention of how far away the first shot was? Kind of critical for using a shotgun with shot. Another case of a poorly applied gun that would have been perfectly adequate if used properly.

Koanbred, why do you insist on doing this? Why are you so fearful? I'm beginning to feel very sorry for someone who seems to live in a world that so terrifies you. Living in fear makes people do and say things that are not appropriate, and which tend to spread the fear to others who are susceptible. It would be good for you and the readers here, if you would just get over your "big bad bear" obsession.
Hey there Saskshooter!

I don't know where you're getting this fear stuff from. One thing I'm not, is fearful. However, I would like to develop a heathy fear for bears. As I don't think that part of me is fully developed yet.

Well, since I wasn't actually there, I don't really know what the actual distance was between the farmhouse and the chicken coop. I personally would like to know a few other details as well, but unfortunately, the news article didn't include them.

Once Again, Remember:

I'm just reporting that which has been already reported. I selected this article because, I think that it's important to be aware of bears when in bear country, eventhough you might be hunting other prey.
Bears are awesome creatures, I guess I'll aways be fascinated by them. It certainly does make for an interesting read when you read about some human assuming that he has the upper hand just because he has a gun. There are most certainly some creatures out there who don't need a gun to have the upper hand. One of those creatures is a bear!

PS.

I like to write. I tend to write about things that I'm interested in. The good thing about America is that if you don't like a person's style of writing or their subject-matter, you don't have to read it! It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head or something. I usually can tell if I'm going to enjoy reading an article after only a few sentences. After I get the gist of where the writer is going, if I don't like it, I just move on to the next thread. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sask, I don't think it's fear, so much as some desire to sensationalize. Every post he's made is chock full of exclamation points and inflammatory comments that I'm certain are made strictly to draw a reaction. After initially welcoming his enthusiasm, I have definitely grown weary of the falseness and transparency of his every thread and post.

Where is Tang when we need him?! :)
Well Broom_Jm!

It's like this:

I enjoy both reading and writing about exciting topics. Sometimes, the way in which news articles are written with so many details omitted, it leaves quite a bit for the imagination. If the subject matter can be made more exciting without changing the facts of the story, then why not?
Exclamation points tend to be a weakness of mine. I don't know, throughout the years, I've just developed a writing style that calls for most probably, a few more exclamation points than the next guy. Now, if you'd like to derive conclusions about my character from that well, that would just be a significant indicator about your own character. I tend to get along with most people and I enjoy socializing with just about everyone. I can converse with homeboys, city-slickers, ********, country folks, doctors, lawyers, politicians, scientists, mathematicians, the filthy-rich, and the destitute. I love 'em all! I am a good guy and I feel very good about myself, because I know that if my life were to be taken today, I can honestly say that I have never intended any ill-will towards anyone. I know that the good Lord can serve as a witness to that statement!

Have a good day Broom_JM! :)

Love,
Koanbred

PS.

You know you don't just have to seek my threads out! You could just see that it's me and assume the worse. You could then move on to the next thread and not waste your energy...

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Well Broom_Jm!

You know you don't just have to seek my threads out! You could just see that it's me and assume the worse. You could then move on to the next thread and not waste your energy...
That, my friend, is one of the few sensible statements you've made, and like more than a handful of other members have done, I believe I will take that suggestion to heart.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That, my friend, is one of the few sensible statements you've made, and like more than a handful of other members have done, I believe I will take that suggestion to heart.

Good for you, my friend!

Kinda surprised that you couldn't come up with that solution by yourself, though. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
When did he shoot the bear, where did he shoot the bear, what gauge shogun did he shoot the bear with, what kind of shells was his shotgun loaded with? Story is worthless and just a scare story that tries to show how bad bears are and ineffectual shotguns are by leaving out all salient details. It was a wasted post without any details that would have been informational. Tried to google the incident and it only comes back to this post. Now I am beginning to wonder if it happened.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here's a link to an article that mentioned the above attack.
http://www.redding.com/news/2009/aug/18/bear-mauls-bowhunter/

The referenced attack was about 4 yrs ago and, as mentioned, we don't know what load was used in the gun but I'm fairly certain the farmer did not expect to find himself face-to-face with a bear while in his pajama's with a scattergun. Perhaps KoNan The Babbler is sensationalizing and freaking out on bears but the reality is that both of the attacks mentioned in the article above would not have happened if the bears had not been shot poorly and with inadequate arms in the 1st place. Had I gone out to the chicken pen and found a bear while I was holding a shotgun full of birdshot, your's truly would have quietly backed up, back into the house and re-equiped myself or at most fired a shot into the air. As for the bow hunter, he got what he was asking for, IMO.

As TR said, "Walk softly but carry a big stick!" I think one of his favorite cartridges was a .405. Proper medicine for the ailment.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When did he shoot the bear, where did he shoot the bear, what gauge shogun did he shoot the bear with, what kind of shells was his shotgun loaded with? Story is worthless and just a scare story that tries to show how bad bears are and ineffectual shotguns are by leaving out all salient details. It was a wasted post without any details that would have been informational. Tried to google the incident and it only comes back to this post. Now I am beginning to wonder if it happened.
Hey there Old Grump!

Just go to the reference that I left you in the original post.

Double Click on it!

This entire incident actually happened! It's right there!

Just google this: " William Pinole, bear attack "

PS.

Of course, when you do research this article, I will agree that they have left out all of those details that you're asking about...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Enough of the bear stories, Koanbred.

Thread locked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.