Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy again gents. Only 3 weeks away from picking up my pistol.Its been a long 3 months.Work has been taking my mind off of it.I need to pick up some powder and bullets.Im thinking about Hodgdons H-110 powder and maybe somewhere between 180- 220 grain hornady copper jacket bullets. I will strictly be punching paper targets for now. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Steve

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hey Steve, glad to hear your new arrival will be here, soon! Nothing like a new addition to the family. :)

H110 is a very good performer in the 44Mag, but it's more for the full-throttle hunting type loads than plinking and punching paper. For fun shooting, I'd go with something you can load down a little, like 2400. Either that or you might buy the H110, but also pick up some inexpensive, light charge reloads to practice with and get used to the gun. I like the 200 and 240gr XTP's for high-performance loads but they are on the pricey side for just sending a bunch of rounds downrange. Then again, it's not easy to find bulk bullets right now, so you might just order what you can get and go from there. (Edit: Looks like the XTP's are actually priced competitively right now, at Midway.)

Do you plan to hunt with it this fall or is this going to be a bench gun for quite a while?

·
Registered
336 Posts
3 weeks away from gettin the Encore .44

Thanks guys for the recommendations, Steve
Hey, just a warning, buying these barrels can get to be a habit. So far I have 14 barrels, having bought the last one last week. Wait until you try the 308 Winchester. Good luck with your new barrel, you'll love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I get one it will be in .444.I know it's crazy,but I already have a .444 rifle and want a pistol to match.I won't mount a scope on it though,I like my forehead too much.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If I get one it will be in .444.I know it's crazy,but I already have a .444 rifle and want a pistol to match.I won't mount a scope on it though,I like my forehead too much.
I think you will find that a 444 doesn't recoil all that much. Try a 45-70 with some heavy bullets if you want to see what recoil is.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Three weeks have come and gone. Did you get the barrel yet? Any reports on it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you will find that a 444 doesn't recoil all that much. Try a 45-70 with some heavy bullets if you want to see what recoil is.
The guy that owns the gunshop in my hometown called me one day to tell me he had a new barrel on the way for my Contender. 2 days later I walk in and he hands me a Super 14 barrel chambered in 45/70. Of course I had to have it. It is like a small cannon but still fun to shoot.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts