Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the .30-06 groupies remember the Remington Accelerators? What caliber was the original bullet covered by the sabot in the cartridge? Has anybody tried to remanufacture the cartidge? Or was it simply a government thing?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
I don't think it had anything to do with the Government, was a "way" to varmint hunt with the '06 supposedly. As Sask said, the accuracy was terrible; I suspect it may have had to do with the RPM, but don't recall for certain anymore what the velocity was.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
There is a lot of us old fossils that have a box of 'em sitting around. Most have a few missing rounds because we figured out quick, they missed the boat turning a 30-06 or 30-30 into a varmint rifle.

I checked out the box I have for claimed velocity. Nothing on the box, but IIRC the 55 grain 30-06 was over 4000 fps.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
The published velocity of the 55-grain PSP bullet was 4080 fps. The urban legend is that the “US government” requested that Remington stop making them. I have no idea if that is true or not.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Totally false. It was another Remington boondoggle like the electric fired primer gimmick. Both were economic wrecks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a half empty box that Monty referred to. At the time, urban legend said that the Gubmint didn't want them out there because there wold be no marks on the bullet from rifling. I figured there wouldn't be enough bullet left to get forensic with at that speed. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with em anyway

·
Beartooth Regular
2,128 Posts
You know, back in the day, I tried them in both 30-06 and 30-30. Once I used a big enough target backing to see the group, I found they didn't shoot terrible, just not good enough for varmints. In my 30-30 they were about as accurate as regular ammo. The real problem was that the sights simply couldn't be adjusted enough on either rifle to get them zeroed.

I think the died because they were just useless. No conspiracy necessary.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I tried them as did my brother. I used my 03A3 and he used his 788 in 308.
I fired three rounds at 25 yards and got six holes that looked a lot like 00 buck from a 12 gauge.
My brother's 308 was slightly better but neither were good for anything but laughs.
We fired all of them and used the cases to reload.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
I had a 30-06 Parker Hale Midland back in the very early 80s and purchased a box to try and they shot very well indeed contrary to many reports I was reading in American Magazines at the time. A lot of foxes and other verminous things felt the wrath of those little high speed projectiles but it became almost impossible to buy them. I obtained some sabots and loaded some of my own and they also shot well. Then I was introduced to the 17 Remington in 1985 by my late friend John Wootters and history changed.
As said, it was a cartridge which was not really required. There where numerous twenty twos in various cases more than capable of killing vermin effiently out there. BUT fashions do change and I rarely take my 17 Rem for a walk these days as I discovered the 22BR and the 17HMR.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, I believe so. 30-30, 308, and 30-06.
Thanks,

When I was looking at my box of them, noticed on the back they said also available in 6mm. Must of been referring to a 6mm bullet instead of the cartridge. Just the same I don't recall ever running into them either way.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,128 Posts
Thanks,

When I was looking at my box of them, noticed on the back they said also available in 6mm. Must of been referring to a 6mm bullet instead of the cartridge. Just the same I don't recall ever running into them either way.
Very interesting. Do you have a pic of the box? I wouldn't mind knowing more.

6mm seems like a VERY unlikely candidate for a sabot. Wonder what they were thinking?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great information above. A great idea that was not so great. Much better off loading 90-110 gr. .308 bullets if you want your ‘06, 308 or 30 30 to be a plinker or varmint rifle.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Sus Scrofa;2274585Then I was introduced to the 17 Remington in 1985 by my late friend John Wootters and history changed. [/QUOTE said:
john wooters was my favorite gun writer. ted trueblood and john barsness and bill tappy were goods ones too.

wasn't the buck he named "bucky" ? the one he had ear tagged but was allowed to run free.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
I never got to be there when they had bucky but I saw a fair bit of film they took of the buck eating slices of apple from the finger of John's wife Jeannie. His ranch down there was open fenced so Bucky could have gone where he wanted but hung around the one area near the house. It turned up one day and had been badly beaten up by another buck and then went missing altogether.I and my wife where very fortunate to experience that ranch and many happy memories.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts