Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Check out attachment
Ohh, I gotcha. I actually remember seeing that now. (It's been a loooooong time.)

I don't think they ever marketed them with the 6mm bullet. I think they were just giving an example of what you can do with a sabot in a 30 cal rifle.

Thanks for posting the pic and jogging the old memory. :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Can't vouch for the veracity of this article, but seems to cover the various comments above, plus mentions barrel fouling from the plastic sabot.

https://beatricedailysun.com/sports/local/what-are-accelerator-cartridges/article_38d2edf2-5b4b-5978-94de-011c81239079.html

Also, Wikipedia, though it has little, does show the stated velocities of the three loadings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Accelerator

P.S. EABCO still offers sabots for 22/30 cal. to 'roll your own', in case anyone is interested.

https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type-Sabots-for-30-Caliber-Cartridges-100_p_13645.html

P.P.S. Unless the reviews are a bunch of 'hooey', EABCO may have figured out what Remington couldn't/didn't, the reviews are mostly positive. Altough, still pretty useless overall, and not cheap by the time you add the bullet and the sabot cost.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Military Saboted rounds have shown 'practical uses' for decades.
Even NASA used them early in the Space Exploration experiments, shooting instruments from a purpose built 16 inch gun to a height of about 62 miles as I recall. NASA used two navy 16" gun tubes welded end to end for their 'space guns'.

Chev. William

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A Remington arms cluster...Remington is over staffed with a generation of 1950s flakes!! This was a totally brainless cartridge that fell on its face before the first round hit the market and they ran out first buyers from California is my guess...:) :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I know a guy who swore by them for deer hunting. I only saw one or two deer he show with them but from what I remembered, they messed up a lot of meat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do any of the .30-06 groupies remember the Remington Accelerators? What caliber was the original bullet covered by the sabot in the cartridge? Has anybody tried to remanufacture the cartidge? Or was it simply a government thing?
I remember them well yellow sabot with a .224 55 gr. bullet in it. Just a little over 4000 fps. would vaporize a five gallon can of water. I was told when they took them that the reason the gov wanted them off the market was the bullet did not take the rifleing and the sabot disentegrated so no way to tell where the bullet came from. But I never recovered a whole bullet just little bits ? They were fun and a while back here I saw the sabots for sale somebody had got hold of a case of two of them.
Bob:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes I remember. Back in the olden days we had them. Still have a few around but they're collectables now. Cartridge collectors I'm sure would love to purchase them if you got em.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a full box of the 30-06 of the ammo I got years ago. From what I understand was told that the reason that Rem stop load the is because someone use them to do a hit on someone and there was no ballistics for the police to traces

·
Registered
264 Posts
Years ago, a friend of mine proudly showed an '06 box of Accelerators that he intended to use for his mule deer hunt. He figured out the energy, as stated on the box, was more than, say, a 30-30. I hastily sat him down for a conversation about energy down range, penetration, etc., etc. Not sure he believed me, but....

When he got back from a successful hunt, I asked him if he'd used the Accelerators. "Naw," he replied, "I couldn't make them hit hardly anything. When I did, it blew up on a pine tree. Didn't go much past the bark. I used my usual Remington Power Points."

Whew!

Incidentally, I recall my M-60 tank had sabot rounds. Probably didn't have to worry about tracing rifling in those days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a box of them for 30:06 and I thought they were 223.I believe it said they had more velocity 100 yards down range than a 30:06 did from the muzzle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 30-06 Parker Hale Midland back in the very early 80s and purchased a box to try and they shot very well indeed contrary to many reports I was reading in American Magazines at the time.
Yep, I too had a 30-06 Parker Hale Midland back in 1980. The sabot bullets shot as well as my rifle did with "normal" ammunition and they accounted for quite a few wild dogs.

In Western Australia sabbot rounds are illegal as they don't leave engraving from the rifle.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
the electric fired primer

BRILLIANT idea! Wish I had one when I was shooting competitively. Gets the bullet out of the barrel before the competition's primer even lights the powder (possibly even before the primer lights in some cases!), and does it without any of the bending moment on the bolt. Maybe not a good hunting rifle idea(?), but outstanding for competition use. Too bad it failed economically. Oh, well. Lots of brilliant ideas die for totally off-point reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i loaded 110 grainers in 30/06 and they flew great didny nrrd accelerators

They were .224 caliber bullets in a sabot. I think they disappeared because, other than going really fast, they were useless. It doesn't matter how fast you miss something.
yep they were 22 cal bullets,,,,like i said loaede 110 grainers and flew great i was hitting mark at 400 yards from pump remington

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember them I had bought a box and shot up a 5 gal.bucket, tore it to pieces. The ad for them in Out door life (I think) said they were the only factory rounds that left the barrel of an '06 at over a mile per sec. Never did see any actual info to back it up, but was fun to shoot

21 - 40 of 52 Posts