Shooters Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
You know, back in the day, I tried them in both 30-06 and 30-30. Once I used a big enough target backing to see the group, I found they didn't shoot terrible, just not good enough for varmints. In my 30-30 they were about as accurate as regular ammo. The real problem was that the sights simply couldn't be adjusted enough on either rifle to get them zeroed.

I think the died because they were just useless. No conspiracy necessary.
I shot a couple of boxes of them out of my 336A, they were accurate enough for coyote hunting but like IDshooter said the sights were so far off it was difficult to make shots.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't think it had anything to do with the Government, was a "way" to varmint hunt with the '06 supposedly. As Sask said, the accuracy was terrible; I suspect it may have had to do with the RPM, but don't recall for certain anymore what the velocity was.

Cheers
As best I can remember the velocity was 4020fps!

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Think of the marketplace during that time. The Hornet was obsolete and the Swift wasn't being made anymore, but the .222 and .222 Mag weren't satisfying the 'need for speed'. When Remington made the .22-250 a factory round, it killed the .225 Winchester in infancy and made the Accelerators a 'gateway drug' to the 22-250. EVERY magazine article, handloaders journal and conversation was around velocity, but nobody had a chronograph.

I remember a customer talking about hitting a crow with this 30-06 and having the natural hots for a 22-250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yep they were 22 cal bullets,,,,like i said loaede 110 grainers and flew great i was hitting mark at 400 yards from pump remington
Do you happen to remember your load data from that? I bought some of the Ea Brown ones to play with.

Mine shot ok way back when; about 2" or so group at 100. What amazed me was that they shot 5 inches high compared to my 180 grain 30.06 standard load. At the time, I couldn't fathom that the 180 would drop much at all at 100 yards. I still have 4 of the old original Accelerators. I too heard that the feds didn't like them because of non traceability. Who knows.....

Vettepilot

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a partial bag of 100 sabots for reloading somewhere.I got them from a guy in Portland that was trying to sell them back in 2000 or so. They had a paper inside with load data on it for all of the popular 30 Cals including 300 Win Mag I believe.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
172 Posts
"Military Saboted rounds have shown 'practical uses' for decades.
Even NASA used them early in the Space Exploration experiments, shooting instruments from a purpose built 16 inch gun to a height of about 62 miles as I recall. NASA used two navy 16" gun tubes welded end to end for their 'space guns'.

Chev. William"

Ahh yes the Gerald Bull "HARP" gun IIRC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HARP

These Remington "Accelerators" made a lot of noise but shot OK out of my 06.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a partial bag of 100 sabots for reloading somewhere.I got them from a guy in Portland that was trying to sell them back in 2000 or so. They had a paper inside with load data on it for all of the popular 30 Cals including 300 Win Mag I believe.
Yeah, I have that sheet, and that data is also on the eabco website. But they are just computer generated loads using some software I've never heard of; not Quickload. I do not know of any actual, proven loads.

I can work up a load using the powders they suggest, it's just that it would be nice, and interesting, to know of a proven good loading.

Thanks,
Vettepilot

·
Registered
100 Posts
I loaded a few in a 30-06 at the time. I’ve long since forgotten the powder used but it left a lot of powder kernels in the barrel like it wasn’t burning completely. Accuracy at 100 yards was around 2” if I remember correctly. The guy I got them from said you could tune them to your gun like any other loads. It wasn’t really anything I was too interested in so I gave up on them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bad idea

First time I saw these advertised I said huh??? And figured someone should be let go for this ridiculous idea.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bullet strike From common rifle

Do you happen to remember your load data from that? I bought some of the Ea Brown ones to play with.

Mine shot ok way back when; about 2" or so group at 100. What amazed me was that they shot 5 inches high compared to my 180 grain 30.06 standard load. At the time, I couldn't fathom that the 180 would drop much at all at 100 yards. I still have 4 of the old original Accelerators. I too heard that the feds didn't like them because of non traceability. Who knows.....

Vettepilot
From my Rem 700 70 gr. Bullets strike 9 inches lower than 100 gr. Luckily they are identical windage - wise, which is very handy. It is all about what the barrel of a rifle is doing as the bullet exits.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts