Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't need to worry about this yet as there's still a couple weeks until they draw, and might have to start the wait all over again, but my dad put in for the Maine moose lottery, and for some reason wants a 220 gr bullet. I've talked some sense into him with the fact that the guy who is guiding us only uses 180s or even 165s from his own .30-06, and that the bullet design is more important than a heavy hunk of lead you're sending.

I was thinking the 165 - 180 gr Nosler Partition (quite a few different ones) or maybe the 165, 168, or 180 gr Barnes TSX. Those are about the only two premium rifle bullets I'm familiar with.

Any recommendations? Heck he may wind up shooting him with the .500 S&W. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
A 220 Gr. Cup&Core Bullet , such as the Rem. Core-Lokt will get the job done on Moose , for sure ! They really aren't that tough , it just takes them a min. to realize they are Dead !

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 180PT or Accubond would be my choice for moose. Any premium bullet of 165-200g would work just fine. Heck, any cup and core would suffice but you'd be best served with a bullet that won't spit it's guts on a shoulder shot.

Word of advice, if the moose is first shot near a vehicle accessible area, shoot it till it drops. Don't hold back thinking you made a good killing shot. Drop it. They have a tendency to run into the nastiest, hard to reach spot.

Good luck with the lottery!

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The only thing that might make the 220gr load a less than perfect choice might be it's somewhat looping trajectory compared with some other loads (18" drop at 300yds vs about 9" with 180s when sighted the same +2.5" @ 100 yards). From those I've talked to who have hunted moose in Maine, there are some long shot possibilities in the clear cuts. I'd start at a 180gr "X" or Partition and also consider Double Tap's 200gr Accubond (pretty much the same trajectory as 180gr to 300 yds) or HSM's 200gr Grand Slam load. These are both excellent bullets with great S.D. I'd want to err on the heavy side if it was me. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a thought, but to my mind having a bullet that can hold together and penetrate clear through is preferable, as two holes leak better than one. The monolithic bullets (Barnes, Hornady GMX) will expand and penetrate plus not be as likely to fragment when hitting large bones. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There is something to be said for a wider nose when it hits big stuff. I see no reason to not use the 220 gr bullet. as long as you don't need to really shoot over 300yds, you'd be good. Remember, a moose is very large, so even 18" of drop isn't alot when the chest is 30+" tall. Hold on the back past 200 yds, and get your knives ready.

Remember, having confidence in your ammo is very important to success. If your father wants 220 gr RN in his 30-06, go for it. He'll be happy and confident while chasing bullwinkle around the woods.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The only thing that might make the 220gr load a less than perfect choice might be it's somewhat looping trajectory compared with some other loads (18" drop at 300yds vs about 9" with 180s when sighted the same +2.5" @ 100 yards). From those I've talked to who have hunted moose in Maine, there are some long shot possibilities in the clear cuts. I'd start at a 180gr "X" or Partition and also consider Double Tap's 200gr Accubond (pretty much the same trajectory as 180gr to 300 yds) or HSM's 200gr Grand Slam load. These are both excellent bullets with great S.D. I'd want to err on the heavy side if it was me. :D
+1 agreed, also with the significant drop in velocities with the 220gr bullets versus the 165gr or 180gr the 165grs and 180grs will have more downrange energy as well. Depending on what load there can be as much as 400-500 ft lbs less energy at 300 yards with the 220gr than the others. Good luck

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,121 Posts
I've got a friend who has moose hunted and killed several. He says that the .270s and .30-06 standard loads work fine. You might want to get as much feedback as you can from those who have moose hunted.

The gunwriter Finn Aagard said that a .30 cal 165gr. Partition would shoot through a moose. Since that's my usual load for the chambering, I'd call it good enough if I was going.

Good luck on the draw......

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Don't need to worry about this yet as there's still a couple weeks until they draw, and might have to start the wait all over again, but my dad put in for the Maine moose lottery, and for some reason wants a 220 gr bullet. I've talked some sense into him with the fact that the guy who is guiding us only uses 180s or even 165s from his own .30-06, and that the bullet design is more important than a heavy hunk of lead you're sending.

I was thinking the 165 - 180 gr Nosler Partition (quite a few different ones) or maybe the 165, 168, or 180 gr Barnes TSX. Those are about the only two premium rifle bullets I'm familiar with.

Any recommendations? Heck he may wind up shooting him with the .500 S&W. :D
I have used Barnes X bullets for several decades and would not use any other bullet for a serious hunt. A 180 gr. will give you all the penetration and weight retention of a 220 gr. Partition with the trajectory and velocity of a 180. That is one reason I love them so much.
The Barnes 180 gr. TSX would be my number one choice for such game and a once in a lifetime hunt.
165 might be OK too buy you can go too light and since a once in a lifetime hunt is at risk, you may only get one chance and the angle might not be what one would desire in a best case scenario.
A 180 would give you a little more weight in case you need to hedge your bet and would be a better bet for a clean through shot even if you hit one shoulder. If you hit both shoulder knuckles, not sure a bullet has been made short of a solid .375 and up that would give a complete pass through.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My uncle used his 270 and 130 gr bullets for his moose, and his brother in law used a 30-30, don't know what ammo he used. Back in the 50's they didn't realize they were under gunned. The moose didn't either. I guess it helped that they were both good shots. I'm a .308 caliber 180 gr, Remington Core-Lokt man myself but like my Uncle, I don't know any better. It's an old bullet that has worked for me since the late 60's and I haven't had any complaints.

Your Nosler partition in 165 or 180 gr. will be fine. Don't over think the bullet, just make sure you put the bullet where it counts.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Don't hold back thinking you made a good killing shot. Drop it.
One of the most practical recommendations for large game in many a post.

I have yet to shoot a moose. Quite a few elk, but moose, not :-(

Keep shooting 'til they are down.

Bullets for the '06? I have to imagine that almost any 180gr bullet available would do the job. Nosler partitions and Speer GS's would be icing on a fancy cake.

Sounds dull, but shot placement is probably more significant.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have never shot a moose, but I have shot over 20 elk with a 30-06 and various bullets. I have only shot one deer with the 220 grain Rem Cor- Lokt's. I was very disappointed with their penatration. I recovered the bullet from the deer with only average penatration. The deer was a small 4 point mule deer buck so it should have penatrated better. I have had very bad luck with Cor-lokt's made after 1970. I have had excellent results with 180 and 200 grain Nosler partitions with over 50 head of game killed with them in a 30-06.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will add that he will probably take his Woodsmaster 742 semi auto and I wasn't sure it would cycle 220s. I hate to buy the 220 gr premium bullets to find out they don't cycle in the gun.

He shoots 125 gr spire points at deer and it just devastates them. We worked the load up and it's a tack driver. We also did trigger work and floated the barrel. Wouldn't group worth a darn before that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
165 to 180 grs partitions or any premium bullet in that weight class will do job.Many up here are shot with lesser calibers as long you place your bullet you'll be fine.Moose aren't hard to kill,but if you don't hit em right the first time and there adrenaline gets pumping be prepared walk miles to track em down.Trick is hit right the on the first shot and don't be supprised if the don't drop instantly unless you spine or shoulder/heart shoot them.IF you lung em.let him be about 5 min. then track him he'll either be dead or laying down close by.If you chase him right after you pop him be prepared for long walk.After you have one down congrats,then the real work begins

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
165 to 180 grs partitions or any premium bullet in that weight class will do job.Many up here are shot with lesser calibers as long you place your bullet you'll be fine............................After you have one down congrats,then the real work begins
Agreed. To both the absolute suitability of a 180 grain Partition, and to the real work. I may have quoted him here before, but my brother-in-law once said while looking at a dead bull, "Nothing ruins a moose hunt quite as much as actually shooting one." ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
You have some great responses to this question! Shot placement notwithstanding, my Bullet of choice is the Nosler E-tip 180gr. Monolithic, high B.C., and accurate, it is IMHO the best of the best currently available.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Nosler Partition in 180 grain will drop that moose quite properly with a decent hit. A 220 might be a little longish for your twist rate too. No matter what you decide on, shoot a few targets with them before you go. Good luck, and remember to post a couple of photos for us.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts