Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 30-06 husqvarna that I would like to have converted to 9.3x62. Can somebody tell me what is involved with that converstion?

Will the rifle function as reliablly as it does now?

Thank You,

Marc

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's certainly doable. There's a Mauser forum where you could get better details than I can provide.

Don't think this is a simple barrel swap out, but it might be. If that was the case, you'd just have to have a smith put on the new barrel and headspace. That's assuming the rails are the proper spacing to allow smooth feeding. Also assuming the bolt head is the same size, which I think it is.

Not having cartridge diagrams in front of me, I believe the cartridge lengths are nearly the same...63 vs 62 mm. The 9.3 is based on the Mauser case, which I think is thicker than the 06 case. That's where the rails might have to be tweaked a bit for good feeding.

The more work that has to be done will drive up the cost. At some point you might be better off just getting a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and keeping the 30-06 as is.

Great caliber! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
I think it is a simple barrel swap, but the gunsmith will know. The 30-06 case is 0.473" at the base, and the 9.3 is 0.470" at the base. No mods needed there. I suspect the 9.3 conversion would work just fine with feeding, etc. Let us know if you do it, and if so, how it turns out.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies, I'll be meeting with a gunsmith first thing in January. I know the 30-06 and 9.3x62 are quite simalar because some people use 30-06 brass for reloading the 9.3. I'm hoping that it can be accomplished by rebarrelling.

In the end I think Leverite's approach is probably the most sensible, but I really would like to keep hunting with the same gun, we've been through a lot together.

My main concern is that reliability doesn't suffer.

Marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have a 30-06 husqvarna that I would like to have converted to 9.3x62. Can somebody tell me what is involved with that converstion?

Thank You,

Marc
You just need to reborn
Hello,

Thank You,

Marc
ALL YOU NEED TO DO INSTEAD OF BARREL CHANGE IS A BARREL REBORING THAT COST ABOUT $250. It’s wisely make by Jess Reboring. He’s a legend in that field. Rifle bolt is the same. A you need is call Jess and get it done!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You just need to reborn

ALL YOU NEED TO DO INSTEAD OF BARREL CHANGE IS A BARREL REBORING THAT COST ABOUT $250. It’s wisely make by Jess Reboring. He’s a legend in that field. Rifle bolt is the same. A you need is call Jess and get it done!
Welcome to the forum. This string is 11 years old, lol:rolleyes:

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,527 Posts
And the OP is no longer here. You'll want to pay attention to the dates posted in every response on the forum. 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts