Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,140 Posts
I don't think the extra velocity would be worth ruining the firearm's resale value, but that's just me.    ID

·
Registered
255 Posts
P. O. ackley didn't feel the 30-06 could be improved enough to make the gain worthwhile. As idshooter stated, there's not a lot of resale value in a wildcat. Your wallet and conscience will have to be you guide.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I'll have to agree with the other opinions here on resale value... it is greatly diminished on a "wildcat", even well proven "improved versions of popular cartridges.

I however, am a fan of the .30-06 AI.  I've been hunting many years using one, and really appreciate being able to push a Barnes 180g X bullet to 3010 fps with sane pressures!  It really changes the complexion of a .30-06 based cartridge, and without the fire-belching loudenboomer effect of the magnums.  Accuracy with mine is about 5/8" center to center with any well tuned load.  Feeding problems were an issue to begin with, but were solved with a little work on the feed rails.

This is a gun I intend to keep, and not one on the auction block.  It is a solid, garden variety Ruger that has recieved it's turbo-charger!

One must pick what's right for his own situation and circumstances however, and consideration of the resale value is of course a factor in many of these decisions.

Choose wisely!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys,
It is a Rem 700, that I have no intention of ever getting rid of. I have just been reading about the AI version, and it sounds interesting. My interest however, is tempered by the mixed reviews I have heard. It would seem this "upgrade?" would push the 06 potential a little closer to the 300 win mag. I would love to hear any other thoughs, anyone may have.

Thanks Much
JuanTedman

·
Beartooth Regular
2,140 Posts
Juan,
      Marshall is getting 3010 with a 180 gr Barnes. My Winchester Mod. 70 gets 2899 with a 180 gr Speer spitzer using a load of H4350 right out of the Speer manual. So, as you can see, you WILL get increased velocities. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth the extra cost/effort involved.
       But really, the reason to do any of this stuff is because you WANT to, right? :biggrin: I'm sure whatever you choose, it will go bang and you will have fun!!            IDShooter

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was in the process of thinking what caliber I would like to have my LH Remington KS Mountain rifle (30-06) rebarreled with, I looked at a variety of Wildcat claibers including the 30-06AI.  I know that Marshall loves his, but I settled on the .280 AI (I have a feeling that Marshall likes this one as well).  Sub 1/4 min groups thanks to the folks at Hart and I have the wide selection of 7mm bullets available.   I am confident with this caliber (both due to the inherent accuracy, shot placement, and ballistics) for anything in NA short of the big bears.    

Reactions: CCAguns
1 - 7 of 7 Posts