Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that today, I decided to load some ammo for my Rem 770 in 30-06. I have 4 boxes of 180 grain Grand Slam bullets on the bench, so I have been loading them with 45 grains of Benchmark. I have used this load before.

This rifle I got in a deal from my brother. Plastic stock, and a scope. The trigger is very light on this rifle, I have to exercise a lot of caution when shooting it.

I find that using the 30-06 takes me back to when I was a kid and shooting a 30-06 during deer season. Currently I will use this for long range deer hunting next fall and some long range varmint hunting this spring. Maybe if I see a ground hog on Monday the 1st of Feb, I can take him out before he sees his shadow on the Feb 2nd.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Jerry, sounds like you're good to go! I used 180 grain Grand Slam bullets in my '06 when I hunted out in Colorado for Mule Deer.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Are you guys getting good results on bigger game with the Grand Slam? I've used 150's in my .270WSM on brumbies which are probably about the size of an elk but the results were so -so. I would have expected to get exit holes with broadside shots placed right on the shoulder but my results suggest that the GS bullets aren't that hard?

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
uh ,,what is,,an who makes the grand slam.. just curious. slim:)
i bet its one of marshalls bullets.. i don t reload..so don t know.. sorry cheesy ,,
i just started too late..wish id started sooner.. slim

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We have gone very well with the 180 Speer Grand slams over H4350 in the '06, with moose here in Canada . The last three have all been one shot- bang/ flop.We have not experianced an exit hole , but sure make pulp out the lung /heart area.
The deer have yet to to invite the load, as the core locks still seem to do an excellent job on them.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Interestingly, I've had better results using corelokts on my bigger game than the more expensive Grand Slams. It would be interesting to recover a projectile, just to see what happens. I suspect some sort of seperation is taking place. With the corelokts, you sometimes find them mushroomed under the skin on the far side, particularly on big hogs.

·
Banned
434 Posts
Grand Slams have changed over the years. When I first started using them they had a hard lead alloy in the base and a soft lead alloy poured into the nose - basically bonded to the jacket. Now they just use one alloy in the bullet because they say its "almost as good" as the original version. I don't think so. The original was directly comparable to the Partition. Now.....I don't know.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I have used a lot of 180 grain bullets to find what my 06 likes best and one thing I was most disappointed by was Speer bullets and their tendency to shed jackets. They do kill, so that isnt the issue but they come apart sometimes. I found the plain jane Speer 180 Hot Core and their Mag Tip 180 held up better than the 180 Grand Slam at normal 30-06 velocities.

Ive been really happy with 180 grain PS Core Lokts and 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters as well as 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
How many rounds do you really intent to shoot with these 180 grain loads? If they are just for hunting, which means some zero fine tuning from time to time and then a couple shots during the season, just go with 180 grain Partitions, TBBCs or A-frames and be done with it. Yes they cost a bit more, but the results are predictable and deadly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think your Grand Slam bullets will work, but I suspect that they are not ideal for deer, as I understand that they are heavily constructed.
Also, your load sounds very light, and I wonder what kind of velocity you are getting. If the velocity is low, and you are using this for 'long range' hunting, you might be dissapointed in both the trajectory and the bullet action when it gets there.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Yeah the .30/06 is a piss weak old timer alright, it's a wonder you can still legally shoot a deer with it really, especially when it's plainly obvious you need at least a .416 Super Duper Magnum and depleted uranium projectiles to bust both shoulders on a large rabbit!

Come on Tang, fair go - wax bullets?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Yeah the .30/06 is a piss weak old timer alright, it's a wonder you can still legally shoot a deer with it really, especially when it's plainly obvious you need at least a .416 Super Duper Magnum and depleted uranium projectiles to bust both shoulders on a large rabbit!

Come on Tang, fair go - wax bullets?

I admit, it was a cheapshot. But I added smileys to let him know I was kidding, see :D

.....but dont joke about the rabbits though. I still have nightmares...

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
tangs is our resident magnum man.. you going for the superman replacement title soon ..right tang.. watch out for that krytonite..like i say have at it brother.grin, slim

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's just an -06. You could use wax bullets without them coming apart...haha ;)
I am not sure if you are referring to my post. However, since you posted it right after mine, I am assuming so.
My point on bullet action was not that it would come apart. I have had great success with the standard cup and core on deer. My point was that a heavily constructed bullet with a lower muzzle velocity, at longer ranges, could result in little or no expansion, and poor performance on game.
If a separate side joke, you can ignore the above.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lets get Tang excited, 300 Rum with 180 GS bullets, 84+ grains of powder, 378 Weatherby, 100 grains plus with 270grain Barnes TSX bullet, 458 Win Mag with 300 grain SP, 72 grains plus, and the grand daddy of my collection, my H&H 600 Double NE, 900 grain Barnes bullets with 145 grains plus. He probably passed out now. For 600 NE, I prefer the soft lead bullets that weigh in at 1050 grains.

These I use on larger animal like SE Asian Water Buffalo, Cape Buffalo and on an elephant hunt. I shot a coyote at about 50 yards with the 378, first time I ever saw a hydraulic explosion in my life.

The Grand Slams are not the greatest bullets and they have their problems. but they work well for me in the 30-06 and my 300 RUM. I did a Pronghorn at 300 yards with the 300 RUM, I take many moose with the 30-06 and the 300 RUM.

As the problems with the GS bullets, I can mention things about many bullets that I have hunted with, but they work. Does any one remember history, American Bison were hunted with cartridges that are still around like 45-70, it took more than one shot.

Tang you can wake up now, if you want to come over and play, ask your mommy for a note.

:D :D:D

Jerry

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Sounds like you have a great collection !

The biggest thing I have had the pleasure of shooting was a Model 70 in .375 H&H.

I want a .458 badly ! But the wife is bucking on the idea now :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts