Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
Is there one powder that I could use for both the the 30-30 and 30-06 that would reach close to maximum performance?
I have a marlin 336 and a remington 700 that I would like to use one powder for reloading. I also got a marlin 444 and a Marlin 45-70 that I would like to use one powder for them too. Any suggestions? Can one powder be used in all 4 guns for hunting, for say, black bear and elk? Thanks
In the 30-30 and 30-06, I use 170-180 grain bullets
For the 444 and 45-70 I was thinking of using 290-300gr bullets.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Of course you can use one powder for all, but it may not be quite optimum for any. Something in the mid range of burning rates like say 3031, 4895, Reloader 15, H335 or Blc2 will work for all if you aren't looking for the very last possible fps. You could find a better fit if you will accept two powders, one for the .30 caliber bottleneck cases and another for the big bore straight cases.
I have about 35 different powders on hand, not because I want to nor because I need to but over the years I've accumulated a bunch of powders because I've owned rifles and handguns in a lot of different calibers and I read or was told "this is THE powder for that round". I don't believe I'd be happy with just two or three powders but you are wise to avoid the trap of believing there is just one right powder for any one cartridge, there are always several that will do about as well as any one of them and you don't have to own them all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually I think you have stuck on four cartridges, it appears by accident, that will take one powder quite well. That powder would be IMR 3031. In my over thirty years reloading (for all but the 444) with lighter bullet .06 loads and heavier 30-30 and 45-70 loads that one powder seems to have the most ability to be used across the board.

As I've thought about it IMR 3031 is my powder of choice about half of the time even though I have close to a dozen in the cabinet.

Scruf

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you have a variety of reloading manuals, check to see which powders are common to all four chamberings.

Just off the top of my head, I would suggest starting with H4895. I've used it in each of the above except the 45/70.

Let us know what you decide.

Jeff

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
There was a very similar thread not long ago, possibly by the same OP, and I will use the same analogy with this one: You could wear the same shoes to go jogging, duck hunting and to take the Mrs. out dancing, but you'll wind up with a broken ankle or be sleeping on the couch!

Surely you have enough cabinet space to store 3-5 powders, which should cover you for the range of cartridges you've asked about.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
If you really want to only have ONE powder for all four, H4895 or IMR4895 is the powder. They are very close in burn rates so you should be able to use either one for all 4 guns.

The problem with using one powder is the fact that you may not have very good results. Just because a load is list in a manual doesn't mean it will work well in your gun. And some bullets don't like certain powders but love other powders.

Reloading is not rocket science, but it isn't simplistic either. Some guns and cartridges require certain combinations of bullet weights and powders to preform to their peak levels. If you try to do things piecemeal and on the cheap, you may not get the results you want.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello all,
Is there one powder that I could use for both the the 30-30 and 30-06 that would reach close to maximum performance?
I have a marlin 336 and a remington 700 that I would like to use one powder for reloading. I also got a marlin 444 and a Marlin 45-70 that I would like to use one powder for them too. Any suggestions?

Picking one powder that will work in all four of your calibers won't be hard- finding one that will give "close to maximum performance" in each will be.

If you could allow yourself two powders, one for the 30-30 and 30-06 and another for your 444 and 45-70 you'd have no trouble getting "close" to maximum performance in each.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I did not read the OP as seeking one powder for all four, but rather TWO powders that will work in the cartridge pairs. That is a MUCH more reasonable request.

In the two 30s, you will not be far off optimum with RL-15 (which is near optimum in an amazingly broad range of rounds).

For the 444/45-70 pair, I have no personal loading experience. With such high-expansion rounds, a faster powder is called for. Look closely at something in the H322/Benchmark/A2015/RL-10X range of burn rates.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I will put Varget in for the two 30s. You may have to change bullet weights and performance will not be optimum as previously posted.

·
Registered
434 Posts
For the 30-30 and 30-06 you would do well with H414/WW760. I have loaded both cartridges with this powder and it will do a fine job.

In the 444 and 45-70 you might want to try Reloder 7, which seems to be quite useful according to the manuals but I have no personal experience loading for either of these cartridges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can get your hans on n-133 if will great for 30-30, and you 06,

and i would say, like others: with one powder you wont get the maximum out of each caliber.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've used BLC-2 in the 30-30 and I think it's great. There is data for it in the other calibers you list also. My brother-in-law likes it in his 150 grain '06 loads. It meters like a dream too. It can take a pressure excursion if it gets hot in the case though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts