Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the ackley improved reemer out of a early 1980s marlin 336 in 30-30 win. My question is are all reloading dies for this wildcat hand cut chamber made the same . My thinking is unless I fire form a few cartridges I can't be sure of my chamber specs . The reemer was a rental from 4d. If that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
A chamber cast would be nice to have to work these things out.
Sounds like a fun project , I hope you had some ballistic data before you did it so the difference can be shared with us.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Pour cast of chamber and die and compare them.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
After you cast your chamber you will find, RCBS , Redding or Lee dies will work fine. Too many shooters on this forum have done the same thing with the same result.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got this marlin 336 in 30-30 win back together and just had to step outside and run 5 of my old reloads through it ..130gr. Speer loaded with cfe223 and a fed 210 primer RP brass my croni velocity was average 2480fps before.. and after the ackley improved reemer was used I now get a average of 2540fps that's werd ..only thing I done different was run outside and the cartridges got all sweaty from being in the ac . hmm I'll try this again tomorrow maybe . I was expecting a loss in velocity of 70fps to 100 fps.. definitely not a gain

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I've run enough Hornets in a K chamber to know the velocity is nearly the same IF the load is the same. Case size and shape makes little difference.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I do not like to fire form with ball powder.
In the k-Hornet I have experienced some unusual pressure indications as the case is blown out.

I have seen some rather high velocities and some rather flat primers using 45 grain bullets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts