Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a descent off the store shelf brand for 30-30? i hunt in alaska and i have seen a SKS take down a running moose at 50 yards with 2 shots, the SKS and 30-30 are about the same right? i just traded a AK -47 for a new 30-30 and was wanting to what brand ammo should i break in the barrel? the reason i traded rifles was because i was wanting better shot groups and wanted something that was made in the USA..

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Buy one box of several different brands/weights. Nothing we can tell you will be more important than what your gun shows you at the rifle range. If your gun will group the Hornady Leverevolution rounds well, those will offer a little more range and energy than the flat-pointed bullets. If your gun is more accurate with flat-pointed bullets, shoot those.

A decent 30/30 should give you better accuracy that an AK, as well as being a little bit more powerful and versatile, as a big-game cartridge.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Short of my reloads, I've always had great results in my Winchester 94 with the Remington Green box 170 grain core loct.
My gun shoots 170's better than the 150's, and I handload Marshall's 160's.
Winchester ammo worked just as well.

I'd suggest buying a few different boxes of different Mfg's and different weights, and see what your gun does best with.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
In that you are looking at the 30-30 Win for large big game, you might look for the Federal Vital-Shok ammo. It uses the Nosler Partition 170-grain bullet which has a reputation of working well on elk and moose with the cartridge. I have an older Nosler reloading manual that makes this recommendation, don't know if the new manuals still do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I am trying to find out info on the 30-30 smokeless bullets that where made back in the 1940 to 1960 I believe. The reason is that I have found 3 boxes of 30-30 that are in really good conditions that where stored in a paint can for more than 40 years. the brand name is Dominion made in Montreal Quebec they have 170 grains . I could not believe the condition they were in! Please contact me thru a PM.

Email removed

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Both of mine like 170 gr bullet the best they shoot 150gr but for the best groups it's 170gr! I shoot mostly cast bullets and get better groups doing so . As far as factory stuff all I've shoot is Win PP's in both 150/170gr I was not impressed but I just got them for the brass anyway!:D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

This large bodied red stag was taken last Winter with my older Winchester 94 Legacy. I've tried several brands of ammo but Winchester Power Point is most accurate. No problems with killing power either.

TR

·
Registered
273 Posts
Killed my first deer with my grandfathers pre 64 mdl. 94 which is now mine. Hanloaded 150 gr. Herters sp. It still shoots well and I don't bother to load for it anymore it likes Win. 170 power points.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found a box of core-lokts just need to get the range. here in fairbanks,ak 30-30 ammo are hard to find and 30-06 can be scarce too. thanks for the info. gonna look for some winchester rounds also.

·
Registered
707 Posts
what is a descent off the store shelf brand for 30-30? i hunt in alaska and i have seen a SKS take down a running moose at 50 yards with 2 shots, the SKS and 30-30 are about the same right? i just traded a AK -47 for a new 30-30 and was wanting to what brand ammo should i break in the barrel? the reason i traded rifles was because i was wanting better shot groups and wanted something that was made in the USA..
The cheap Federal 170 grain ammo Wally World used to keep on the shelf ( for ~ $ 9.95 a box ) is the only factory .30-30 ammo I have ever shot . It seemed to be pretty accurate .

All the rest of the ammo I have shot through it has been cast bullets .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
36 Posts
Buy one box of several different brands/weights. Nothing we can tell you will be more important than what your gun shows you at the rifle range.
Best advice, I think.

Most of the old timers I knew, who'd used .30-30's over a long lifetime, simply bought whatever 170-grain loads they found on sale. I've had great performance from the Remington Cor-Lokt in years past, and I use the Federal Noslers now...but all of them did well enough for anything I ever needed

·
Banned
43 Posts
Many years ago a used the Winchester Silvertip ammo (don 't recall the bullet weight) on whitetails. I shoot one deer with it and when I dressed the deer I found the bullet in several peices inside the deer. Yeah, the deer died quickly but I did not like the fact that the bullet came apart like that so I never used them on game again.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I vote for the power-points and core lokt. The core lokt is a bit better in this cartridge in my opinion. No need of spending the money for the partition at 30-30 velocity. I killed my first elk with my model 94 and core-lokt 170 at a range you would not believe, (and that I would not attempt now that I know a thing or two about ballistics.)

·
Registered
676 Posts
On my shelf I have Remington, Winchester, Hornady Interlock, Federal Fusion and Federal Power Shok. I have mostly Remington SP core because that's mostly what I see on my toy store shelf, some 170's but mostly 150's.

I can't find a nickels worth of difference between them considering most of my shots and my brothers shots are taken on deer around 150 pounds and under 100 yards. If you are worried about something a bit bigger than deer and if your gun will shoot them than go for 170's but in my book they all go bang, hit the target and do their job. Don't overthink when there isn't a problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Before the Obama scare , Walley World had Federal 170 grain .30-30 for ~ $ 10.00 . Now it is closer to $ 13 - $ 15 a box .

Both my Winny & my Marlin seem to like it .

I also picked up 2 - 3 boxes of Remington 170's , but have not tried them .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
finally got to the range and tried out remington core lokt's. from a standing postion i was able to hit pop cans at 50 yards and at 100 yards on sand bags i was getting 3.5 '' groups on paper plates, is that kinda normal for 30-30's? could i get that down if i were to scope it? has anybody tried Vortex scopes?
i was also breaking in a new savage precison 10 with a 20'' barrel .308 and it was scoped and at 100 yards i was getting 1'' groups. 1 person on the range told me that if the weapon is zeroed 1'' high at 50 yards it would be dead on at 100 yards. would that formula work on 30-30's? thanks for the info.

·
Registered
707 Posts
finally got to the range and tried out remington core lokt's. from a standing postion i was able to hit pop cans at 50 yards and at 100 yards on sand bags i was getting 3.5 '' groups on paper plates, is that kinda normal for 30-30's? could i get that down if i were to scope it? has anybody tried Vortex scopes?
i was also breaking in a new savage precison 10 with a 20'' barrel .308 and it was scoped and at 100 yards i was getting 1'' groups. 1 person on the range told me that if the weapon is zeroed 1'' high at 50 yards it would be dead on at 100 yards. would that formula work on 30-30's? that for the info.

That accuracy is sufficient for the ranges and game the .30-30 is intended for .

A person with good eyesight can shoot as good , at least to 100 yards , with irons as with a scope ( course , better irons help too ) . GOOD peep sights help a lot !

I once shot a 3 shot 1" 100 yard group with a stock military Smith Corona 1903A3 .30-06 . With my reloads . I stoped at 3 rounds , did not wish to ruin my bragging rights . :)

But I have a highly " experienced " Garand that will do 2" with LC 69 , when my eyes could see good enough .

But , I think my Marlin .30-30 and maybe my Winny will do a little better than what you are getting with cheapo Federal 170 grain ammo form Walley World ?

I suggest , if you scope it , the most $$$ Loupy you can afford .

I do not much pay attention to sighting in at a lesser range & saying if it is so many inches high , it will be dead on at so many yards .

Move the target out to the distance you want to zero at , and procede to do so .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Many years ago a used the Winchester Silvertip ammo (don 't recall the bullet weight) on whitetails. I shoot one deer with it and when I dressed the deer I found the bullet in several peices inside the deer. Yeah, the deer died quickly but I did not like the fact that the bullet came apart like that so I never used them on game again.
I shot my first Ky. Deer using a Remington Model 788 in .30-30. My ammo was factory Winchester 170 grain Silvertip bullets & the Deer dropped in it's tracks as did several other Deer in past seasons. Wish I still had that Remington M-788!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts