Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I used exclusively Hornaday's Lever Revolution ammunition would it be possible to make a 30-30 AR-15? If so, approximately how much would that run me?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,312 Posts
Explain to me how you think Hornady's LeveRevolution branded ammo, has anything to do with the question?

The 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge, so the magazines and feeding is already an issue. In an AR-15, mag length will be in the neighborhood of 2.25". The 30-30 brass trim length is something like 2.03"; so you know that can't work.

If you don't mind fighting the feeding issues of rimmed cartridges in a magazine, then step up to the AR-10 sized platform. Bolt head will likely need to be machined out, rather than a standard unit. Also going to need someone to do the chambering and headspace, then it's just parts.

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah the soft plastic tipped ammo is irrelevant. It's made to give a ballistic advantage to the round in guns with tubular magazines. Your AR build will have box style magazine and could use either LeverRevolution or standard RN/flat point .30-30 ammo. Actually any style .308 cal bullet who's load would fit in the mag. Darrker has laid out the other hurdles petty well. An AR style rifle originally chambered for .308 Win would be the way to go as a starting point. You're going to need a very talented gunsmith and quite a bit of money too IMO.

NOTE: NEVER USE HARD POINTED TIPPED AMMO IN A TUBULAR MAGAZINE.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
Just use .30 Remington brass (if you can find it) and there ya go, rimless .30-30 ;)

One of the new 'wonder rounds' in 6-point-something (6.8?) is, in fact, using brass derived from the old .30 Remington, which was a rimless version of the ... you guessed it... .30-30!

So neck up, the neck-down 6.8-something that was based on the obsolete .30 Rem and there you go. Ain't wildcatting strange????

:p

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
6.8 SPC is based on the .30 Remington. And there is a wildcat off of the 6.8 that uses a .30 cal bullet. Actually there is a wildcat for every cal almost just stuffed in that case

The new .22 Nosler is based on the 6.8 SPC with a rebated rim so it uses regular AR15 bolts.

And the even newer .224 Valkyrie is based on the 6.8 if my info is correct.

Another one that mimicked it pretty well is the 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical. Wilson combat did that one. It's just a 5.56 case cut down a little, with the intent solely for supersonic ammo it has a little more room for powder than the .300 blackout. It should mimick .30-30 ballistics well.

There are literally hundreds of wildcats designed to work in the AR15, and many will about match the .30-30 ballistics.

·
36,124 Posts
Maybe I'm obtuse but wouldn't you get about the same ballistics out of a 7.62x39, as a .30 cal version of the 6.8? :confused:

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Maybe I'm obtuse but wouldn't you get about the same ballistics out of a 7.62x39, as a .30 cal version of the 6.8? :confused:
You might get a little bump from the 6.8 case... maybe 100-150 fps.

The .30Herrett rimless tactical is one of the few .30 cal wildcats based on 6.8 SPC.

Vs the 7.62x39, as far as an AR15 is concerned.

The .30 HRT has a smaller case head, so a much stronger bolt. Both require some sacrifice in bolt strength but the .30 hrt/6.8spc takes less.

Magazines. The .30 HRT tapers less and so it is better suited to the AR15 and its magazine well. 7.62x39 requires a lot of bend in those magazines. It's why the AK47 mag is shaped like a banana! :)

Bullets. The .30 HRT uses common .308 diameter bullets. Most 7.62x39 use the Soviet .311 cal bullets I believe. More selection for reloading.

Brass. The .30 HRT/6.8spc brass is stronger.

https://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=647

^^^This is a good read on the cartridge if anyone is interested^^^

I think AR15Performance may still be making barrels chambered for it. If not I'm sure one could find another manufacturer. I think blackhole weaponry makes them too.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Or you can go with the .300 Blackout/Whisper and get 30-30 ballistics in a factory produced cartridge and AR rifle.
The .30 HRT is much better than the .300BLk supersonic, yet is fully capable of the same reliable subsonic loads. As does the 7.62x40WT. The key factor in developing the .300BLK was just subsonic shooting from a short 8.5"-9.5" barrel. Which is why the case capacity is so little. It's a 5.56 case with ~30% of its length removed and bigger bullet stuffed down it. Very efficient in short barrels.

.300BLK will work. But it has limitations. Case capacity is the same as a .45 acp. Maybe a little less. Perks are the only thing different from a regular 5.56 AR15 is the ammo and the barrel.

The 7.62x40 WT is a better one if your priorities are to not have to use a 6.8 SPC bolt and magazine. The 7.62x40WT will use everything from a regular 5.56 AR15 with the exception of the barrel and ammo. If you're reloading, then this one is better. A little more case capacity and still works with subsonic loads if that's your thing.

If you don't mind the use of a 6.8 bolt and magazine, neither of which are hard to procure or uncommon, then the .30 HRT, 6.8spc, American .30, or any of the other wildcats based off of it will be better. More case capacity and all...

None of these cartridges require anything longer than a 16" barrel to achieve an optimal velocity. All of them are fairly efficient from shorter barrels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been wondering about the AR platform in the 270 or better yet the 30/06.....but just because it seems odd that they're not already around.....Simple, long reach, flat trajectory with a heavier bullet that EVERYONE seems to go for??? I've been holdn out for a perfect semi-auto in 30/06 for no apparent reason

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I've been wondering about the AR platform in the 270 or better yet the 30/06.....but just because it seems odd that they're not already around.....Simple, long reach, flat trajectory with a heavier bullet that EVERYONE seems to go for??? I've been holdn out for a perfect semi-auto in 30/06 for no apparent reason
Here ya go.

OMEN Watchman | NEMO Arms

If you have the money to play then they're out there. I've seen a couple in .30-06 before.

I know POF in Arizona is working on a .300 win mag model as well. Hopefully it will be cheaper. I still don't expect less than $3,000 though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ooo-WE! Thanks T12! Inspired by your link I googled and found the BN36 Long Range Assassin by Noreen Firearms in both .270,25.06 and 30.06 for about $2k. Not many details but it's there and I've heard some reports of Noreen firearms being of average to below average quality but I'll check it out a lil bit later and try to post a link....for now onlylongrange.com is the home page

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
They already did this...it's called a 30 Remington AR.

Repeat after me: "There are no new ideas in cartridge design."

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Repeat after me: "There are no new ideas in cartridge design."
Ah, that may be true, but a .30-30 on the AR platform is new.

Of course, I'd have to ask why, but new, it is. :)

·
36,124 Posts
Yup. Just have to rebate the rim diameter from 0.506" to 0.378" and then figure out magazine dimensions so it will feed. Piece 'o cake ;)

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Hashbrowns.
Back in the day (like around 1900) the 30-30 was chambered in what might have been considered a state of the art military repeating firearm.

Now wondering how much money I'd have to throw at a Winchester 94 to run 5.56 (no pointy bullets in tube rifles)?

That is called hashbrowns with cheeze.:D

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Ah, that may be true, but a .30-30 on the AR platform is new.

Of course, I'd have to ask why, but new, it is. :)
The 30 Remington AR actually exceeds 30/30 performance and is already chambered in an AR15 rifle, albeit with a different bolt.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Here we go!

So you want to put a .30-30 in an AR15. As many have pointed out some issues. The case is too long. Way too long. So how do we address that! We shorten it! Boom!

Now, while it's shorter, it is not limited to the less efficient bullets you use in a .30-30. You can use a bullet with a MUCH better ballistic coefficient. This will actually bring it close to replicating or maybe even beating the .30-30 ballistics! :)

Well we run into problem number 2! Now your dealing with a rimmed cartridge still. The AR15's weakest link is its bolt. The AR15 bolt is much smaller and less beefy than any other 5.56 cal military rifle. So it can only be stretched so far and the rimmed case of the .30-30 will be too big. So a proprietary bolt and barrel extension has to be made. And that's going to be hard and expensive.

Quick fix!?

That old cartridge that was a rimless .30-30. The .30 Remington. Now you won't find brass for it very easy if at all. But what you can find is either 6.8 SPC or you may even try to mess with the new .22 Nosler and its rebated rim if you really want to. But 6.8 SPC stuff is made by dozens of big name manufacturers such as Hornady, federal, Nosler, Remington, Daniel Defense, rock river arms, YHM, LWRC, LMT, JP, Stag Arms, Barrett, PRI, D&H, Magpul, etc... it's not hard at all to get bolts, magazines, brass, etc...

Boom! A .30-30 without a rim so it can feed and chamber with minimal modification to your rifle. Along with being shortened to fit inside an AR15 magazine.

As has been pointed out, there are really little to no new developments. A lot of cartridges are just redone with the intent of putting them in a different firearm action. There are a few more wildcats like the .30 Herrett rimless that use the .30 Remington or 6.8 as a parent case. One off the top of my head is the American .30 from Columbia river arms. It gives you a little more case capacity over the .30 Herrett rimless and still fits and feeds in an AR15. If someone reloads, neither of these 2 cartridges are hard to make. These are the most feasible and affordable ways to do it.

If someone really wanted to work with a rimmed cartridge like this, they might give a look at some of the com-block stuff. The Russians still use a rimmed case in their military arms today. Their Dragunov rifle as well as their LMG the PKM use the 7.62x54R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
semi-06

try an M1 Garand....or a M14 in .308

1 - 20 of 35 Posts