Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this question on this forum because it is really about the cartridge and not about lever guns.

What do you guys think are some good factory 30-30 black bear loads? I looked at the new Barnes TSX factory ammo and it looks good. I also like the Federal Fusion loads. Do you think just good ol' 170 Power Points would do the trick? We will be hunting with dogs so a clean kill is necessary not only out of respect for the bear and also to prevent injury to the dogs.

Also, based on some discussion we had a few months ago, I am also considering getting a 45-70 (1895G) and rolling my own.

Thanks gang.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Trust me any standard factory 30-30 load you are likely to find in your favorite toy store is going to ruin a black bears day. They are not buffalo or Grizzlies. Grandpa used a 30-30 and 150 gr Remington bullets 60 years ago and 20 years ago I used a 32 Win spcl with 170 gr bullets, also Remington but I would have used anything on the shelf. Dead is dead, marksmanship counts for more than fancy uber bang golly gee whizz bullets.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Trust me any standard factory 30-30 load you are likely to find in your favorite toy store is going to ruin a black bears day. They are not buffalo or Grizzlies. Grandpa used a 30-30 and 150 gr Remington bullets 60 years ago and 20 years ago I used a 32 Win spcl with 170 gr bullets, also Remington but I would have used anything on the shelf. Dead is dead, marksmanship counts for more than fancy uber bang golly gee whizz bullets.
+1. I fully agree. I've harvested a number of Blackies with a number of different bullets with a 336 30-30. They are thin-skinned. Shot placement is the key, as usual....

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.