Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched high and low for a 125-130 grain bullet to load in a 30-30 Contender. Nothing seems to be in stock. I did find some Speer Hot Core in 130 grain on Wilson Combat's website. WIlson Combat says they are specifically designed for their 300 Ham'R. I do not see why they would not perform well at 30-30 velocities. The loaded ammo they sell lists at 1800+ fps but mentions they would be good over 2500 fps.

Any thoughts on using this bullet in a 30-30 contender?

Thanks!

Darin

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
125 -130 grain is what I generally use in my .30 Herrett Contender. Those weights are really hard to find right now. I got some 155 hollow points a while back that did really well but I think that is about as heavy as I'd push with the Herrett. What length barrel you running?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have 30-30 (14"), 35 Rem. (14"), and 375Win. (12") barrels and don't think twice about using 'standard for cartridge' bullet weights, i.e. 150 in 30-30, 180-200 in 35 Rem., 200 in 375 Win. I think of it this way; Would I seek out lighter weight bullets, that are difficult to find, because I was shooting a 'trapper length' barrel (16") lever carbine in one of those calibers? The answer would be...no. So, why do it just because the firearm is called a handgun with the same barrel length. Terminal velocity is what matters, so if you intend to shoot your quarry at reasonable handgun ranges, meaning 150 yards max., isn't your remaining velocity plenty to get the job done?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern was the bullet being advertised as made for a 300 Ham’R. Velocity honestly doesn’t matter to me if I am using a bullet designed for the speeds to which I am pushing it. I am guessing it is a marketing ploy used by the company mentioned to sell bullets and to push their guns.

i had intended to load 125 grain ballistic tips but I only have 50 and can’t find more to order. After load development I load up all the brass I have so I don’t have to load anymore for some time. After reading tons of reviews the 130 grain Speer bullet got great recommendations in the 30-30. The only ones I can find are the ones I listed.

I did look for some 150 grain round nose and flat nose but I was unsuccessful in my search. I went ahead and ordered these because it is all I can find.

Thanks!
Darin

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Many favorite bullets have been tough to find lately. I once owned a 30/30 in a 14 inch Contender and liked the 125 gr. Sierra bullets. I also shot some 110 gr. Hornady's that were fun. The full rifle loads of 150+ were not as fun. :D

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bullets came today while I went to sight in my Contender. It shot surprisingly well at 100 with Remington factory loads. 3 shot group was roughly the size of a golf ball. A rapid 5 shot group in a warm barrel was baseball sized.

The only difference I can see is the crimp ring is lower on the bullet than the standard bullets. I will seat them to the ring and make sure the bullet isn’t forcing into the lands. Now I have to go find a load for H322. I have a surplus of it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thinking that Contender barrels tend to run long throated. I have a 7mm R barrel (30-30 necked to 7mm) and have not been able to run the bullet into the lands. Although I do use 140 grain in it which may not be that long.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I loaded up 4 different loads for the hot core bullets and a couple for the 125 grain ballistic tip. It is raining today and supposed to tomorrow so it may be a few days before I shoot it. I look forward to shooting it with a cool down period between groups. The hot core seated to the crimp ring was too long. It is located way down on the 300 Ham'R bullets but I knew that when I ordered them. When I chambered one it pushed the bullet down in the case. The Speer manual listed a col of 2.55 so I just seated them all to 2.55.

Darin

·
Registered
541 Posts
I bought the Sierra 30 cal 125 grain Sierra GameChangers about 3 weeks ago from Midway to try in my 300 Blackout. Sierra says 1800 fps for reliable expansion. I can get 2000+ fps with my 16.5 inch barreled CZ 527, so they should work out to farther than I should shoot at anything with a 300 BO. Might be just the bullet for your Contender. They may still be in stock. Good luck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just got back for my range & one of the rifles I shot was the Blackout. Just did some sighting in @ 25 yards. The sight is a Trijicon RMR reflex, so no magnification with a Triangle reticle. Shot three rounds touching in a cross wind. Couldn't be happier. Next trip I'll go to 50, 75, & 100 yards, which will be my limit with no scope & the rounds capabilities.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I'm going to suggest Sierra's 125 grain pro-hunter. It's a little fragile for deer out of a .308 but but your pistol length contender might really like them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shot today as well after work. 32 grains of H322 shot the best group at around an inch and a half. The max load of 33 grains shot about like the rest. 2 -2.5 inches or so at 100 yards. I didn’t have the time to properly cool the barrel down between groups so it was warmer than I liked. The recoil was mild with the 32 grain load and got stout at 33 grains. My oldest son shot the 125 grain ballistic tip load and he was not prepared for the recoil. The scope popped him in the forehead. I think I will stick with the 32 grain load. I need a chronograph to see how fast it is coming out of the 16 inch barrel. Not that I care but just curious.
I think I will like this gun for short range deer hunting and maybe to carry around in the side by side.
Thanks for the help.
Darin

·
Registered
716 Posts
If a bullet maker says their bullet will expand “down to 1800 fps impact velocity”, don’t expect a nice classic mushroom. Instead you'll likely see a flattened nose slightly larger than bullet diameter. Not that it won’t kill, just not the wound channel that a few hundred more fps will deliver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts