Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a long barrel 30/30. Very rare in marlin. What do you guys think of the Winchester 94 long barrel guns? They are much more available. For marlin I would have to send one off for conversion. I generally like the marlin guns better. They tear apart a lot easier.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I've got one. Winchester M94 '66 Centennial model ... barrel measures 24", although they list it at 26". Mine's in .30-30 Win, as were all of them. That gold plated receiver makes it real pretty but I just love the long octagon barrel on it. I find that it "hangs well" when I shoulder it. I've had '94's all my life though and I'm probably a bit biased. Just a bit more accurate than my carbines but I lay that to the longer sight radius. I have a Williams Receiver Sight mounted on it.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I am interested in a long barrel 30/30. Very rare in marlin. What do you guys think of the Winchester 94 long barrel guns? They are much more available. For marlin I would have to send one off for conversion. I generally like the marlin guns better. They tear apart a lot easier.
I assume you are refering to the Marlin model 93 though you dont say.
Though I am not a fan of Marlin leverguns I wouldnt have it converted for 2 reasons. First they are a weak action compared to the newer 336 actioned guns. Second you would be removing the guns history and most can never be undone. Lastly you say they are easier to take down than a 94. My question is why would you ever want to tear one down. I have had 94's completely buried in mud and didnt tear them down.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you're interested in a 336, there's always the 336A -- not the later carbine with birch stock, but the original rifle with 24" barrel, 2/3 length mag tube. Scarcer than the carbines, but far from rare. Modifying it to a full-length tube (if that's what you want) requires a bit of ingenuity, but is far less expensive than rebarrelling.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well............In the 90's Marlin produced a 30-30 CB or Cowboy rifle with a 24" octagon barrel and full magazine. They show up on the auction sites semi-frequently and can vary in expense from about $500-700+, depending on how patient or in a hurry you are. They are are nice, well balanced and very accurate rifle.

Regards, Vic

·
Banned
199 Posts
Agreed, the marlin cowboy 336 would be a good choice if you can find one. Winchester brought out commerative 94's with many different length and profile barrels. I have a full wood musket with 26" barrel, it shoots very well. Numerich arms also made up many long barreled 94 winchesters from various parts using, I think, their own barrels. I know a bloke who has one it's a nicely balanced rifle.

Don't worry about dismantling the 94, you should never have to.

Just remembered that the late model 94 Legacy was also available in a configuration with half pistol grip stock and 24" barrel. Angle eject 94's do have the intrusive safety and **** triggers though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got suckered into a 336cb with the octagon barrel 24" with straight grip checkered stock. More money than I was hoping to spend, but they seem to be pretty rare.

·
Banned
425 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts