Shooters Forum banner

30-30 improved

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  William Iorg 
#1 ·
I was wondering how the reasearch on the .30-30 Ackley Improved was going? I remember that Terry Murbach and at least one other member were doing some load testing.
I am interested in the .30-30 Improved and in Francis Sell's .25-35 Tomcat. I have a 24" .25-35 Contender barrel that I would like to straighten the case a little to improve extraction.

#4 ·
Thanks! There is little difference between the two, except maybe availability. I could always get H335 and for some reason wasn't always able to get the BLC(2). I did some chronograph testing with both powders in the 30-30 AI, but have no idea where the results are at this point. That was some time ago. The results were extremely close. So close, in fact, that I've seen different lot numbers of certain powders create a larger difference than those two powders did with a chronograph. The 30-30 AI is one fine cartridge.

#5 ·
I find the .30-30 AI to be one of the best Ackley cartridges ever.  I currently have 2 rifles:  Win M64 w/ 24" bbl and Savage 340 with 22" bbl.  I use these on everything from coyotes to black bear.  I even shot a cow elk at 35yds in thick timber 2yrs ago.  I use the following load:

Nosler 170gr RN partition
35.3 gr Vihtavouri N540
Federal 210 primer
Remington nickel-plated cases
COL  2.550"
crimped w/ Lee Factory crimp

I have chronographed this load in both rifles and here are the results:

Win M64 w/ 24" bbl was 2343fps (2072fp)
Savage 340 w/ 22" bbl was 2299fps (1995fp)

The .30-30 Ackley Improved is the best thing since sliced bread.  Also, I prefer it in a lever gun.  I have been interested in the .25-35 Tomcat but it is too light for black bear but it would make a dandy whitetail rig.  Let us know the outcome and how it shoots.

The load listed is safe in my rifles but you should start at .30-30 Win levels and work up. Keep it safe.  Later.

#6 ·
mbogo

Thanks for the information.

I have recieved my .30-30 AI die set (RCBS). Now need a reamer, all it takes is money...

My .25-35 is shooting so well with 75 gr Sierra hp's and the 110 gr HEI ldfngc bullet that I am questioning the wisdom of rechambering it! The problem is of course I am limited in velocity because of stuck cases at higher pressures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.