Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just surfing the net and came across this on the HORNADY website. We've got a new bullet for the .30-30 Winchester. 150 grain FTX bulleted cartridge loading. I think they claim 240 fps velocity increase over conventional loadings with the FP bullet. All that is very impressive to me ... but it's $35.73 per box of 20. I've been paying about $20 a box for their 160 gr FTX load. Has anyone tried this yet? Does Hornady believe that a lot of .30-30 users will pay the $35 a box for the stuff. In my neck of the Michigan woods I can buy three boxes of conventional ammo for that. Heck of an idea though. At least Hornady is trying to get us .30-30 users some updated ammo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can hardly believe that they can sell any of this LE ammo.

It just is surprising to think that 30-30 users really "need" the extra range. It just seems to me that folks that need a gun to shoot more than about 150 yards already have a different rifle caliber. I must be wrong as they sell the heck out of the stuff. it may just be marketing as the gunwriters make it sound like any gun that can not shoot deer at 400 yards is inadequate.

So I'm a little surprised that they came out with another offering. Options are good thing I guess.

I hunt in the U.P. of MI and I won't get a shot over 100 yards. So I'm one of those folks who will never buy anything other than std bullets as I do not need any more range performance.

I guess I'm a contrarian. I would like to see heavier slower bullets. Not lighter & faster. That's why I chose the 35 Rem over the 30-30 to begin with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can hardly believe that they can sell any of this LE ammo.

It just is surprising to think that 30-30 users really "need" the extra range. It just seems to me that folks that need a gun to shoot more than about 150 yards already have a different rifle caliber. I must be wrong as they sell the heck out of the stuff. it may just be marketing as the gunwriters make it sound like any gun that can not shoot deer at 400 yards is inadequate.

So I'm a little surprised that they came out with another offering. Options are good thing I guess.

I hunt in the U.P. of MI and I won't get a shot over 100 yards. So I'm one of those folks who will never buy anything other than std bullets as I do not need any more range performance.

I guess I'm a contrarian. I would like to see heavier slower bullets. Not lighter & faster. That's why I chose the 35 Rem over the 30-30 to begin with.
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (sometimes a written statement can be taken wrong without intention). There are those (can afford only one rifle) that want a little extra range without having to go to the expense of getting another rifle. IMHO That is where the LE ammo comes in. It's a good niche market to tap into and a brilliant idea that the folks at Hornady had.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent point, BB. And I agree. For a LONG time a .30-30 was all I owned. I own several now and perhaps that is why I can't see Hornady justifying the $35 ticket price. If I want longer range I now grab my '03 Springfield or my M70 Winchester. But you make an outstanding point. It might let a single-gunner extend his range. I, for one, will enjoy shooting alongside my hunting bretheren, they with their .308's and .30-06's, and me with my long barreled Winchester 94. It IS kinda fun too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Isn't the 150gr offering a gilded metal (no lead) bullet? Hence the high price.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yep its their GMX no lead bullet, for places that won't allow lead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts