Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club where I shoot NRA High Power Silhouette matches has a reduced size steel buffalo at 1000 yards distant. Last November, I decided to try my Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30 Rifle which has a 26" Octagon barrel on that distant target over 1/2 mile away! This rifle is equipped with a tang sight.

I used Lyman's 311284 bullet which, from my mold, weights 222 grs. in wheelweight + 2% tin alloy. (I heat treat them when going beyond 1600 f.p.s.) This bullet was designed for the .30-40 Krag back in 1906 especially for long distance target shooting.

In the 26” T.R .barrel, with one driving band seated out of the case, 36 grs. of slow burning H4831SC sparked by a WLR primer in Winchester brass pushed the 222 gr. bullet to (surprisingly) 1,980 f.p.s. with good accuracy. This effectively duplicated the circa 1895 .30-40 220 gr. factory jacketed bullet loading. 34 grs. of slow burning H414 went 2,012 f.p.s. also with good accuracy. (These loads are safe in my gun, but back off 10% to start. Different powder lots, different barrels, etc. = different results. Stay safe.)

After arriving at the Ridgway range, and firing several shots to get a sight setting for 1,000 yards, I began sending those 222 gr. cast bullets toward that distant target. I am happy to report that most of those .30-30 propelled 311284's found their mark. Approx. 2 seconds after each shot, my spotter indicated a hit, bullet fragments kicking up dust, which was followed 3 seconds later by the report of the lead alloy bullet striking steel. Great feeling!

A .30-30 at long range. You bet! Teddy would be proud!!

w30wcf

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
GREAT FUN JOHN!

Haven't done it, but it sounds like wonderful sport with a .30-30 levergun.

Did the .30-30 and that load have enough umph to topple the rams at that distance?

Thanks for the report.

God Bless,

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Wow! What is the twist rate on the barrel?

·
Registered
517 Posts
C'mon now! Give us the answers!

That sounds like to much fun!

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall,

I forgot to mention that the steel buffalo @ 1000 yards is a "swinger" so it doesn't have to be reset every time it's hit.

The steel rams weigh about 55# and are 547 yards from the muzzle. The 222 gr. bullet does a good job of knocking them down.

MikeG,

Bullets from my 311284 mold are 1.23" long and the 12" twist appears to stabilize them aok. I have also shot this bullet at about 1500 f.p.s. and at 100 yards and , surprisingly, it shot very well. I haven't tried it at that velocity at extended ranges yet, so I am not sure how the accuracy would be in that application.

nfmMike,

YES, it is a lot of fun!

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
John,

Do you flatten 311284's nose at all to facilitate rounds feeding from the tubular magazine or are you simply chambering them manually? If you are flattening the noses, I'd like to know how.

Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts