Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I'm thinking about a new barrel for my T/C carbine. What would be better for cast bullets, a 30-30 or a 35 Rem? I'll probably go with another 21" barrel and put a Williams peep and Firesite on it. I know there is a better selection of 30 cal bullets, but I like them big ol' bullets! Either will made a very compact brush gun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe one in a 375 Winchester a buddy of mine has one in a 10" ( I think ) and he loves it!...Marko

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
The 35 Caliber carbine bbls. are no longer "factory" available as a stock barrel. You have to go through their custom shop. Used ones tend to be scarce too.

I tend to like the 35 cals also for cast bullets and there are plenty of cast designs available in this caliber.

I'd go full custom myself from one of the third party barrel guys and in a full bull configuration for better balance.

FWIW

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contender,
The 35 barrel at Fox Ridge Outfitters is only about $15 more than a T/C 30-30 (21") from Midway. The bull barrel about another $20 on top of that. I've never dealt with Fox Ridge. Are their barrels as good as factory? Do you know of anyone else who carries barrels for the T/C?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Blueridge,

Fox Ridge IS the custom shop of TC Arms. Same company. Basically, you are paying a premium for what is essentially a mass produced "factory" barrel. Quality is the same as they are the same company.

There is a very good custom 'smith by the name of Dave VanHorn who makes Contender bbls from scratch among other things and is reasonable as custom smiths go. He lists Contender bbls drilled and tapped and blued for $243 in full Bull configuration. That is with an accuracy guarantee. I believe he actually rifles the blanks himself not 100% sure on that. You can get the twist you want. You also have the other Custom guys like Virgin Valley and SSK.

Here is a link to another forum where this subject is being discussed and has a link to VanHorns site.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb....=000483

Another good guy to deal with is Ed Kirkpatrick of Ed's Contenders. He sells used and new Contender and Encore barrels and usually has the best prices. It is best to e-mail him your wants as his inventory changes daily.

http://www.edstc.com/edstc/index.html

Think you will do well to check Ed out first. Ebay also.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards

<!--EDIT|Contender|June 21 2002,11:53-->

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Hypothetically, if you go with custom bbl,

See if they will cut a rim counterbore in the 35 Rem chamber for you also. The counter bore to fit the rim of 30/40 Krag brass. You will have a rimmed 35 Rem which is more user friendly in the TC.

Simply size 30/40 Krag brass in the 35 Rem sizing die and trim to length. Base diameters are identical.

Then you can use either 35 Rem rimless or Krag rimmed brass. All you have to do is change the extractor when you go from rimmed to rimless cases. I say this because 35 Rem brass availability can be spotty or expensive at times.

Just a thought for you to ponder.

Regards

<!--EDIT|Contender|June 20 2002,23:25-->

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you go with a custom barrel I'd skip the 35 Rem and go with a 356 Win. It has more power than the Rem plus it has a rimmed case. You should be able to push 250 grain bullets to 2200-2300 fps easily with the 356. In 35 cal. you can get bullets from 110 grain pistol bullets to 280 grain heavyweights. I think the 35 cal. have a much better selection of cast bullets than the 30 cal. does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts