Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,how goes? i got a wild hair and wondered if a 30/30 could be turned to 35 whelen at a reasonable cost, ie. a win.mod.94? and would the rest of the loader/firing mec. work at all or is it just a pipe dream?

learnmore===livemore

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey,how goes? i got a wild hair and wondered if a 30/30 could be turned to 35 whelen at a reasonable cost, ie. a win.mod.94? and would the rest of the loader/firing mec. work at all or is it just a pipe dream?

learnmore===livemore
2 big problems....

1) 30/30 Winchester and 35 Whelen are not in the same class as far as pressure goes. The 30/30 is an old blackpowder round and therefore operates at relatively low pressure with relatively weak brass and is usually chambered in relatively weak actions. The 35 Whelen is a modern, high power round and operates at modern, high power pressures and need to be chambered in a "modern" gun capable of these pressures.

2) Winchester Model 94 actions are not designed for and do not have the margin of safety necessary to handle a modern centerfire round such as the 35 Whelen (see #1). Also, because of how the repeating action works on a lever gun with a tube magazine under the barrel, the range of different cartridges that each design will feed is very limited. The 35 Whelen is nowhere near the correct size and shape to feed through that action.

One more problem is the pointed bullets in the tube magazine (if #1 & #2 above could be overcome). You would be limited to flat point bullets.

I'm usually not a nay-sayer but this one is just how it is... If you wanted to do a Savage 99, that's a completely different story.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Well if the rifle is available in 30-06 chambering then neck up the case to 35 and change the barrel. But I don't believe you'll find any lever action chambered in 30-06. Most of those actions wouldn't stand the pressures the 30-06 or 35 Whelen would produce.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
The 30-30 was never a black powder cartridge -- that's an old wives tale completely false!!! If you don't believe me do the research.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I don't believe you'll find any lever action chambered in 30-06. Most of those actions wouldn't stand the pressures the 30-06 or 35 Whelen would produce.
Browning BLR.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Both the Browning BLR and Winchester/Browning 1895 are available in 30-06. The 1894 has a totally different actiion. Now you could take the 30-30 and neck it up to .358" which I'm sure someone has already wildcated but its not called the .35 Whelen. As mentioned the the Whelen uses the 30-06 case as a parent and not the 30-30. Another option is to find a 1894 in 38-55 or .375 Winchester for a harder hitting catridge. Don't believe the Winchester 1894 was ever chamber in the .35 Rem but you can find Marlin 336s in that chambering.

The Savage 99 while chamber for the 30-30 was never chambered for the 30-06. You can get a 99 in a .358 Winchester which is just short of the .35 Whelen (.308 based). Only current rifle that maybe available in both the 30-30 and .35 Whelen would be the T/C Encore single shot.

CD

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The 35-30/30 wildcat is among the first dreamed up in this country, for smokeless powder cartridges. Many shot-out barrels in 30/30 and 32 Special were rebored to 35 caliber. It is not nearly as powerful as the 35 Whelen and has roughly 10% less case capacity than the 35 Remington. However, due to the 30/30 case being somewhat stronger, the 35 Remington and 35-30/30 wildcat are very similar in power and performance. The round has seen a bit of a resurgence due to BPCR and CAS shooters, using cast lead bullets.

While the 30/30 was not originally loaded with black powder, it was so named because that is how shooters of that era interpreted the power of a given cartridge. Kind of like how old guys like me understand "cubic inches" better than we do "x" number of liters. :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Winchester 1895
Correct also, I don't know why that one escaped me last night!?, my brother has a vintage Winchester 1895 made in 1905 chambered in "30 Government" AKA "30-03", but we shoot the good old 30-06 out of it!:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 30-30 was never a black powder cartridge -- that's an old wives tale completely false!!! If you don't believe me do the research.
Thanks for correcting that. I guess I had made the assumption based on the nomenclature.

learnmore,... are you just looking for something different to do with an old '94, 30/30? 38/55 would work like a charm and be a bit off the heavily beaten path if that's something you like.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts

learnmore===livemore

The already mentioned 38-55 or .375 Win would more than likely work just fine, if that worked for you. Another course of action, if the gun is not an heirloom (I figured not, if you were willing to "change" it) might be to bargain the M94 for a Marlin 336 which in turn could be re-bored to 38-55, .375 Win (updated 38-55) or even .356 Win which is the closest you'll come to a .35 Whelen in an older lever gun (200gr factory loads claimed at 2490 FPS) or even to .444 Marlin. There's a place that specializes in just such conversions and does them for a reasonable fee too.

http://35caliber.com/2.html

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
LearnMore,

If you're still around, the link TnHunter just provided is to a gunsmith who will rechamber/rebore your rifle to a 35-30/30. That would be just about the simplest and safest way to up the ante an old Model 94...and give you a pretty unique gun, in the process! :)

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
We'll you could go 30-30 AI for modest gains, or 307 Win.
No expert here, but I think you'll find it difficult to find a gunsmith willing to rechamber a standard (non BB) M94 into the much higher pressure .307 chambering. Depending on your exact needs, I'd be willing to say that the .375 Win might be the "best" upgrade in performance available for a M94. Loads are readily available at decent prices (under $30/box) giving 2150 FPS with a 220gr bullet. This is excellent performance for whitetails and black bear. Perhaps even short range elk.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
No expert here, but I think you'll find it difficult to find a gunsmith willing to rechamber a standard (non BB) M94 into the much higher pressure .307 chambering. Depending on your exact needs, I'd be willing to say that the .375 Win might be the "best" upgrade in performance available for a M94. Loads are readily available at decent prices (under $30/box) giving 2150 FPS with a 220gr bullet. This is excellent performance for whitetails and black bear. Perhaps even short range elk.

I'm not that familiar w/ the M94, but I know it was chambered in 356 Win which is higher pressure than the 30-30...and similar in pressure to the 308, 358 and 307. Maybe those were beefed up M94's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thankx all!needed a in sight for the 30/30 i got aextra coup,le of. tnhunter i will check out that site-.375-a littlebit biger/heaver hitter may do me justace...i belive i may get a 35 whelen,if i find one at dicent price.

agin-just a moment to say thankx this site is real info-not hearsay!!!

learnmore=livemore

1 - 17 of 17 Posts