Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I think the heavier 170 grain loads are best in the .30-30. Trajectory differences are minimal, especially at short ranges that the .30-30 us used, and the heavier bullets will perform better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not a bear hunter or expert on the subject by any means, but the old 'thutty-thutty' has killed about every species on Earth at one time of another...lots of Elk, Moose, etc. too. Well placed shot, within 100 yds. or so, I'd bet a pile of scratch it would work fine. Rem. 170 gr. Core-Loct, or Federal's 170 gr. Partition loads would be my choices in 30/30 ammo. ( Personally, I have a 45/70 Guide Gun with 'Bear-Stomper' written all over it....LOL! ) Lee

·
Registered
668 Posts
I killed a 340 lb. Black Bear in Canada several years back with my dads old model 64 Winchester in " .32 Special" (the 30-30's twin brother). I shot his favorite factory load of 170 gr. Silver-tips and they worked perfectly. One shot....one kill. Thanks Dad !!! HD1

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have friends who have taken black bear with .357 magnum handguns. I'd imagine any rifle caliber would do! However, if you'll be hunting in an area with grizzlies / browns I'd carry something bigger!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

This California bear was taken with just one 170 grain bullet. Lethal damage is clearly evident.

Sometimes I think that folks forget that 30-30, 32 Special, and other moderate velocity cartridges are famous for straight line deep penetration. Fast expansion into mushroom shape is a guaranteed assumption. The bullet makers have had over 100 years to perfect jacket thickness and alloys to get it right!

In my opinion, ALL the ammo-makers produce very good 30-30 bullets. I tend to purchase FEDERAL & WINCHESTER SUPER X for 170's and Remington for 150's based upon accuracy results.

TR

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Sometimes I think that folks forget that 30-30, 32 Special, and other moderate velocity cartridges are famous for straight line deep penetration.
The people with the lowest opinions on that pair, are usually the same ones that never even shot a .30-30/.32 Special.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The two cartridges mentioned above are prime examples of: It's not necessarily the rifle, but the one doing the shooting. As I recall, the famous Jordan buck was killed with a 25-20 Win. Karamojo Bell used 6.5's, 7mm's and 303's to kill elephants. Putting "The right bullet" in "The right place" is whats important and the 30-30 and 32 Spec fill that bill quite nicely at the ranges they were intended. HD1

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
YOUTube is one way to gain confidence in the killing power of 30-30 and other moderate velocity hunting cartridges. I've viewed a number of fruits and vegetables blown apart within this unique website.

The chest organs of big game animals are destroyed just as that pumpkin or pineapple is blown apart. I've observed the lethal results of 30-30 damage many times during dressing of many big game animals. That's why I say, "30-30 is a KEEPER".

TR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.