Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever heard of this one?  Seems like if the .303 case was used to launch flat tip 30-30 bullets such as the 170 grain Nosler Partition, you'd have sort of a 30-30 mag.  Should be able to get 2400 with the 170 grain no problem.
 I think the pressure would be ok as the .303 is held to 45,000 CUP....less than the .375 Win.  Marlin chambered the .375 Win in the .336.  And the cartridge base would be wider in the .30-.303 Lever which would ease pressure on the bolt?
Overall length the .303 Brit is a good bit longer than the .375 Win with FMJ bullets..don't know about with flat tips.
 Was thinking with a modified boltface and carrier one could rechamber a .30-30 barrel.
Just wondering about this and has anyone ever toyed with the idea?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buster                                    Handloader magazine vol. 173 did an article on wild cats based on the .303 case. These wild cats were popular in Australia due to the large number of surplus .303 rifles. The most popular were the .303-25, .303-270. Others such as the .303-22 and a 6.5mm version were offered. I don't think thay talked about  .30 cal loads though. I think for what you are looking for you would be better off with the .307 Winchester. As you probably know this is a .308 case with a rim. Marlin chambeed a few of there lever guns for it as well as winchester.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think the pressure would be ok as the .303 is held to 45,000 CUP....less than the .375 Win.  Marlin chambered the .375 Win in the .336.  And the cartridge base would be wider in the .30-.303 Lever which would ease pressure on the bolt?
[/quote]

Actually, a given chamber pressure will produce greater bolt thrust with a larger case head. Gas pressure is measured in pounds per square inch; if we apply that pressure to a greater area (that is "more square inches" ) we have actually applied more force.
     That's not to say your idea wouldn't work, I don't know if it would or not. I suspect you would have to step up to a Marlin 1895 sized action, but I haven't taken any measurements...    ID

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
P.O. Ackley, in his Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders, shows a cartridge called the .30 Lever Power. "This is a cartridge developed by Fred Wade of Wade's gun room in Phoenix, Arizona. Cases are made  by turning down the rims of the .303 British or .30-40 Krag, then shortening the overall length of the case to standard .30-30 length."  The 170 gr. bullet would easily be capable of 2400 f.p.s. in this cartridge.  

The .307 Winchester would be its  ballistic twin.

John

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w30wcf
aka John Kort

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, I knew I had heard of the "30 lever" from somewhere.  I'll have to get a hold of that book somehow.   I wonder if maybe 30-30 AI would do the same thing or nearly so.

Also thanks for the info on bolt thrust.  

Use of the .303 case intrigues me because of its widespread availability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts