Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your opinions on this chambering (30-378 Weatherby) both as a long range target and hunting round? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Long Range Hunting, it is the best of the .30's. As a target round, not so much. Throat wear in the barrel can be seen in less than 300 shots. It truly is a cannon, and I've wanted one for a long time, but ended up getting a .300 Rem Ultra Mag which isn't THAT far behind the big Weatherby.

If you are a reloader, the .378 Roy case is expensive to feed, if you shoot factory ammo, it is REALLY expensive to feed. New brass for the 30-378 is $60 per 20 cases. Factory loaded ammo can go over $100 per box. Not to mention it's hardy appetite for powder. The .300 Win Mag, will in most cases serve every need you will encounter. I just went with the Ultra for something new to toy with.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That monster .30 case will easily swallow 100gr of powder each load. That means you get 70 rounds from a pound of powder. But then again, you drive a ferrari you dont care about pump prices or engine longevity. It's factored in.

I love the round and someday hope to own one of these.

·
Banned
131 Posts
The barrel life is pretty finicky on these, i was looking into them myself and saw reports of less than 500 rounds with accuracy out the window. The top end was around 1500 rounds. The best things I saw to imporve the accuracy and make it a good target rifle was to have the barrel set back a little and make it so that the throat isnt so **** long, however this increases pressure. Then you bed the action and the first 3" of the barrel channel. The only .30 cal that compares to the .30-378 is the Lazzeroni.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
In reality, the 30-378 is only about 100 fps better than the RUM. I love Roy's guns and cartridges, but for me the RUM just made more sense.

RUM
180gr bullet with 100.5gr of Retumbo for 3350 fps

30-378
180gr bullet with 113gr of Retumbo for 3460 fps

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Long Range Hunting, it is the best of the .30's.
Maybe next to the 7.82 Warbird ;)

In reality, the 30-378 is only about 100 fps better than the RUM. I love Roy's guns and cartridges, but for me the RUM just made more sense.

RUM
180gr bullet with 100.5gr of Retumbo for 3350 fps

30-378
180gr bullet with 113gr of Retumbo for 3460 fps
I doubt you'd get that with the Weatherby, even their factory ammo isn't that fast with a 180. I'd bet the RUM is closer to it than you think. You are right though, the RUM is hands down a better choice IMO from the cost of rifles to ammo and for not much difference I can see and for far less cost. If I wanted to spend that king of money for the Weatherby, I'd go for the true king, the Warbird.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I learned about overbore reloads with my .257 Weatherby Mag. If given the PROPER powder, the 30-378 will walk all over the .300 UM. With the heavier bullets, it will really walk over the .300 UM. In a situation like this we are talking 200 FPS or so. Which is really meaningless but if anyone wants to use that against me, then you are beat again, as the .300 WM is as good as anything and more accurate on average than all the rest. Just food for thought. I'd never even look at Lazzeroni as they are too small a company. Maybe if I could handload to their numbers. My options are .300 WM and 30-378 Weatherby Mag. if more is needed.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I learned about overbore reloads with my .257 Weatherby Mag. If given the PROPER powder, the 30-378 will walk all over the .300 UM. With the heavier bullets, it will really walk over the .300 UM. In a situation like this we are talking 200 FPS or so. Which is really meaningless but if anyone wants to use that against me, then you are beat again, as the .300 WM is as good as anything and more accurate on average than all the rest. Just food for thought. I'd never even look at Lazzeroni as they are too small a company. Maybe if I could handload to their numbers. My options are .300 WM and 30-378 Weatherby Mag. if more is needed.
I don't know about walk all over, but will it do anything the RUM can't? It does have I think about 20 grns more case capacity so yeah it will win the velocity in the end with raw horsepower, at least for the handloader. But in factory ammo, I don't see much difference and for the average hunter looking for a super 30 mag, the RUM is the way to go. I looked on gunbroker and the cheapest Weatherby that's NIB is $1128, the RUM, $590. There's a Sako Warbird listed for $1500. Double tap has ammo for the RUM with the 200 grn AB at 3200 fps for about $62. Nosler loads that bullet for the Weatherby at 3150 fps for about $130. Lazzeroni lists their 200 grn at 3350 fps but I think that's a custom load. Their 180's are $109 a box (and 3550 fps). I have a friend who has a Warbird and loves it. We were going to go on a prarie dog shoot and he was going to bring it to see how far out he could hit one.

I guess for me, I don't shoot 400+ yards so I'd take the 300 Win Mag (or even an '06 :D)and if I wanted more punch, I'd go up in bore size. To each his own though.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well, if you want to get technical. You can use a Sabot with a 180gr .30 cal bullet, in a .50 BMG and get 5000 fps.
Well if you reeaalllly want to get technical, it's still a 50 caliber, shooting a sabot doesn't change it into a 30 caliber, just like '06 accelerators don't change it into a 22 centerfire. Besides it's fun to poke you with a stick now and then...:D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
M1, all things considered, I kind of wish I had gotten my Sendero in .300 Win Mag. I was already set up to reload for it, and had hundreds of pieces of brass. Not to mention it runs fine on CCI200's. But now that I have the RUM, I'm very happy with it.

I'm like Bob always was. I like heavy for caliber bullets. That's what the RUM is for. If you are going to only use a 180, then stick with the Win Mag. I'm ordering some 200 and 220gr Partitions this weekend :D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know about walk all over, but will it do anything the RUM can't?
Well... to get technical... does the RUM do anything the 300WM can't? ;) I'm pretty sure both can wallop an elk at a lot further than I'd ever attempt a shot at one and can shoot targets at 1000yds with no problems ;)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree. That's why I said I'd take the Win Mag and if I needed something bigger, I'd get a bigger bore. I can't argue with either of your logic. My dad took the Win Mag to the Yukon and took a huge 65" bull moose (great story behind that) a dall sheep he missed B & C by 3/8" after drying and a nice grizzly. I'd always like that round myself.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Well, if you want to get technical. You can use a Sabot with a 180gr .30 cal bullet, in a .50 BMG and get 5000 fps.
I KNEW IT! I knew it wouldn't be long before you wanted something based on a 50BMG! :D

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The 30-378 Weatherby is pure unadulterated ridiculousness, almost like building a 340 Weatherby for 85lb forkhorn eastern whitetails...

There is no need nor any excuse for that kind of stuff... you can not be sane and like getting kicked with that stuff.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The 30-378 Weatherby is pure unadulterated ridiculousness, almost like building a 340 Weatherby for 85lb forkhorn eastern whitetails...

There is no need nor any excuse for that kind of stuff... you can not be sane and like getting kicked with that stuff.

Matt, usually you and I see eye to eye on most things. Just this one, we differ. I really do enjoy the more powerful cartridges. I GAVE my 22-250 away because it bored me. Why push a 55gr at 3300 when I can push a 180gr at 3300 :D

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Matt, usually you and I see eye to eye on most things. Just this one, we differ. I really do enjoy the more powerful cartridges. I GAVE my 22-250 away because it bored me. Why push a 55gr at 3300 when I can push a 180gr at 3300 :D

Why not push a 55 grain at 3700 fps and shoot 300 rounds at a prairie dog town in a day without bruises? There are reasons for choosing different cartridges that have nothing whatsoever to do with some particular velocity.

I actually agree that there is no rational reason for the existence of the .30-378 for hunting except "mine is bigger than yours". Long range targets may make sense, but for hunting anywhere it is just silly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As stated above, I will ALWAYS prefer the .300 WM for me. Super accurate, super powerful, and plenty enough juice for anything worth doing, without being too ridiculous. !80 grain bullets with a BC of well over 500 are as good as any bigger bullet as well.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Where was I when you did this! and where did the line form? ;)

I gave my Rem VTR to my brother for a Birthday/Christmas Present.

Why not push a 55 grain at 3700 fps and shoot 300 rounds at a prairie dog town in a day without bruises? There are reasons for choosing different cartridges that have nothing whatsoever to do with some particular velocity.

I actually agree that there is no rational reason for the existence of the .30-378 for hunting except "mine is bigger than yours". Long range targets may make sense, but for hunting anywhere it is just silly.

We don't have prarie dogs here, and ground hogs aren't that crowded. So I could just splat them with the RUM occasionally.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts