Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked in to one of my favorite gun shops today, to add to my primer collection, and spotted a Krag carbine, that looked to be in pretty good shape. The bore was not corroded, the external finish was 85%. Worn, but not pitted.

$399

I'm thinking it would last another hundred years on Trail Boss, and one of the Beartooth 170gr bullets.

Seem worth it?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Its The History !!

Oh yeah , those actions a slicker than buttered ice . Maybe one of the Rough Riders handled it , who knows . It seems the closer to being history I get , the more interest I have in it !

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good choice

I have found a number of Krags sitting in the used gun racks. The price sounds a bit high, or at least more than I have ever paid. If the barrel is worn a replacement barrel is available from Midway. My local gunsmith has fitted several Adams & Bennett '98 Mauser Series 3 barrels in .30-06. All he had to do was rethread and rechamber the barrels, fit them and testfire. Not bad for a barrel that costs about $80.00. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I was 16 I had the fun of shooting a military 30-40 Krag. I worked on a Alfalfa ranch and we used the Krag to hurry the Mule Deer out of the field at day break. It has a very different sound that you can tell from other rifles.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems the closer to being history I get , the more interest I have in it !
That's funny.

My uncle has a sporterized Krag he has used for his entire life. Every 10 years or so, he'd spring for a box of 180gr Remington, take a couple shots to see if they hit the same spot, then head for the stand. When the supply got to be less than a magazine full, he bought more.

I'll probably make an offer for $350, and see.

·
Registered
704 Posts
T Man make a offer of $300 cash and maybe the counter offer will be in between. That is how I got my BAR 30-06 for $425. They were asking $495 and I offered $400 cash and they came back with $425. It never hurts to offer low because you never know what you will get and you can always go up from there. It's good to dicker a bit that way everyone feels they came out on top.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If a guy won't haggle I won't do business with him . For me that's half the fun of making a deal !

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
I agree with Oberndorf

The Adam & Bennett barrels work very well and are a lot less expensive than the CMP barrels. I managed to get a few Krag carbines from a local gun shop. All were the same price of $125.00, except for one with a hacked barrel that sold for $65.00. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
105 Posts
Krag Carbine

I too have a Krag that was given to me from an estate. I'm virtually certain that it was a full rifle that had been carbine-ized by someone, perhaps Bannerman. The barrel is full length but the shortened stock shows file marks. It looks like it is wearing a 24" Springfield barrel but it is indeed chambered in .30-40. I enjoy shooting it as I never before had an opportunity to shoot a Krag.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been traveling a lot. Thanks to everyone for the replys.

I'll offer $300 as I don't think it's original, having handled a couple that were.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My Grandad (1889 - 1973) was a cattleman in Park County, Wyoming. He owned a number of rifles but his favorite for elk was his 30-40 Winchester. He told me it hit hard up close like a 30-30 but had more reach for long shots. Grandad referred to shots of 150 yards as long shots.

I'm thinking he shot 220 grain bullets with his factory ammo.

TR

·
Registered
704 Posts
I went to a yard sale with my wife yesterday and there on a table was a 1894 Springfield 30-40 Krag carbine for $130 but it had been sporterized. The owner said it shoots good and has some shells for it. If he has it Monday I will buy it. I would have to find a originel stock and sights for it to bring it back to original.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,136 Posts
Man, for $130 I would have grabbed it and run! Even sporterized that's one heck of a bargin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts