Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06' and a 300WSM. I think a 165 gr Nosler Accubond or a 165 gr Hornady interbond would be a good bullet for most chores including Elk in either cartridge. I doubt I'll ever get to hunt Moose or the Great Bears so I don't think a 180 or 200 grainer is really needed. Any experience with either of these combinations? What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
For 'most chores' on elk, I think you'd be OK with those bullets if you wait for the behind-the-shoulder shot. Elk are tough animals and I like to hedge my bets a bit more and usually consider a well-constructed 180 gr as a better choice. The only exception is the 165 Failsafe, which isn't made any more, but maybe can still be found. A Swift A-frame or Barnes TSX in 165 would also likely be quite suitable. I don't personally have experience with the bullets you listed, nor what I've listed (I usually use a 338 WM on elk) although my brother has plugged a couple elk with the 165 Failsafes in the 30-06.

A lot of calibers and bullet weights will work. I've shot a couple cow elk with a 6.5-06 with 140 gr Nosler partitions and they died just fine, but that caliber and weight has a good sectional density, and a good reputation. With elk, stout bullet construction, and good sectional density are what I use to guide my choices.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
+1 on the above advice. I've loaded 168 gr TSX's in my 300 WSM, but was planning them for mulies...and maybe elk.

No doubt the 160's will work and I'm sure you'll get many posts to that effect. On the other hand, I only get a shot on an elk every so often, so why chance it w/ a bullet that might be marginal.

And the heavier bullets carry more punch downrange although they start out a little slower. The lighter bullets scrub velocity faster.

If you have doubts about holdover for the heavier bullet, consider a ballistic reticle scope.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My Son Jim has killed 8 Elk in the past 12 years with a Savage Model 110 shooting 165 grain bullets with the past 5 years being Federal Preimum ammo and none of them have gone more then 50 yards. He double lunged 90% of them with a center chest shot.

He took this one this September in Colorado with the gun and bullet mentioned above :D

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
This is another one of the posts that will confirm 165 grain bullets kill elk. Every elk I've taken has fallen to either Hornadys or a Nosler in that weight. If I'd known different I may have used a heavier bullet. But neither me or the elk has complained.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
sometimes you find just the rnd for a gun.. this is the case with my savage 110 06 and 165grn fusion or hornady rnds..the only limitation is my self..slim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
I use 165gr. Partitions in my .30-06. Haven't shot an elk but they sail right through pigs, no problem.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Am I wrong, or aren't Elk just as tough as Moose ? I haven't gotten to hunt either, so I don't have any experience there.

I'd say use atleast 180gr, especially in the .300 WSM, just to be safe. But you couldn't go wrong using a 200gr Partition. Even the poor little 30-06 can push them to 2600-2650 .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone have experience with shooting Moose and Elk? I know many people in Maine that shoot Moose with 30/30,30/06and non magnums with most shooting factory Remington core lokt and do OK. Are Elk that much tougher?

AL

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Im sure Core Lokts do fine. But I think such a magestic creature deserves more respect. This isn't 1960 anymore, and you shouldnt have to use non-premium bullets. Leave the cup and core bullets for the Whitetails.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
One of my friends used to hunt in Canada for moose. He said mostly they used .30-06 and .270s.

Shooting the moose wasn't the problem. Killing the moose wasn't the problem. Butchering the moose was the problem!!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
whatever happened to the good 'ol days when a s.d. of .205 was considered fine for deer and .250 was fine for elk?? now we gotta use 180gr premium bullets for shooting pronghorn with the biggest baddest 30 caliber magnum or it just may not get the job done?!?!?!???

if in doubt just use a 165gr barnes tsx or hornady gmx and make sure your knives are sharp!....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tang is absolutely right. Elk are tough creatures. Last year was my first elk hunt and I used a 300 wsm with the 180 grain barnes triple shock. I shot the elk at a little over 300 yards. The first shot was in the boiler room and he just stood there and took it. Reloaded and put another bullet about 2 inches higher to get some lung and the bull finally ran about 50 yards and died.

I was really impressed at the amount of punishment and elk can take.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've seen the lowly 30-06 in action at 500 yards on targets of opportunity. I've also seen it at LONG range on animals. I have deduced that while some of us like fast stuff, including me for some things, the old 30-06 would be THE best round from groundhogs to grizzlies and everything in between. IF hunted properly in a killing atmosphere. I mean not looking to intentionally go long or something like that. Some think it is boring but it DOES have .30 cal. bullets and ranges from 110 ish to at least 220 grn. They are also as accurate as anything when built as good as anything else. YES, the 165 in the 30-06 or 300 WSM will kill whatever you hit squarely in the vitals. Very powerful, efficient and easier to handle than the mags. therefore easier to be accurate. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
One of my friends used to hunt in Canada for moose. He said mostly they used .30-06 and .270s.

Shooting the moose wasn't the problem. Killing the moose wasn't the problem. Butchering the moose was the problem!!!!
In Ontario Many moose have been Harvested with the 303 British as well as the 300 Savage .If your close ( Under 75 yards ) the 30/30 and 35 Rem will do. Place your shots
I doubt if the animals have gotten any bigger or hides thicker than the of fifty / sixties .
Where I live Moose are the primary game animal shot , and I would say about 70% are shot with the '06 then comes the 300 WM , the 300 WSM along with the 308with only a few 270's. Shots are usually under a hundred yards here in the North Bay district , and cup and core bullets get the job done with good chest shots .
We use the 06 and 300 WM with180 Speer grand Slam, and made one shot kills every time.
The 180 Gr bullets get the nod. they might start out the gate a bit slower, but again take abit longer too to stop.
I think all the animals would agree - use the lighter bullet.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've hunted Elk for 28 years and Elk are big animals but like all other animals if you shoot them center chest there is not much to stop the bullet from going completely through and taking both lungs. The question about is the 30-06 being enough gun really doesn't come into play because it certainly is and it will turn the lungs to liquid on an Elk, Moose, Deer or blow up the heart on the same animals. When hit badly no caliber performs well and game will be lost or have to be trailed for a long time.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Tang is absolutely right. Elk are tough creatures. Last year was my first elk hunt and I used a 300 wsm with the 180 grain barnes triple shock. I shot the elk at a little over 300 yards. The first shot was in the boiler room and he just stood there and took it. Reloaded and put another bullet about 2 inches higher to get some lung and the bull finally ran about 50 yards and died.

I was really impressed at the amount of punishment and elk can take.

Yes I have seen this with deer too . You need to call them on the cell Phone to say " Your Dead "

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
No question a 30-06 is dandy for elk. Question was about 165 grainers vs 180'sor 200's.

I haven't ever shot a moose, so will rely on other's experience. I have heard they are not as tough as elk.

One of the most knowledgeable elk hunters in my group uses 220 grainers in his 06. He does use a cup/core bullet.

The last guy in my group to get a bull used a borrowed 270 Win to take him at 30 yards w/ a 140 grain bullet, I believe. Think it was a Hornady lite mag. His 06 got broken and fortunately another guy had a spare rifle he could use. At 30 yards a lot of cartridges and bullet weights do fine.

At 250 yards, I like having more momentum and penetration. However, if I was in Colorado and my 06 had 165 grainers, I'd take the shot.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts