Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired a 30 carbine blackhawk and was wondering if any BTB would work in it. Any information would be appreciated. I have found a little data on jacketed bullets but nothing on cast.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Hub,

That .30 Carbine Blackhawk is one fun revolver!  Had one for many years back in the mid 80's, should have never traded it off!  It was great fun on jack rabbits, called coyotes, rockchucks and the like!

I used our .309"-115g FNPB bullets in that little gun, and did it ever shoot!  Stoked with H110/W296 that little begger really belched, but shot very, very, well!  I took a fancy to Unique and the same bullet to get away from some of the muzzle-blast and fire-ball effect.  It worked, but velocities about duplicated a well loaded .32-20.  Still great fun, and very economical to shoot.  Given today's selection of powders I would probably also try Universal Clays and AA #5 for reduction in the ear-splitting report.

The throats on those guns are pretty tight, and .309" is generally what works the best, use a #10 oval egg fishing sinker to slug the throats in your chambers to determine diameter, then use alloy bullets of that diameter in your handloads for some eye-opening accuracy!

Enjoy, and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,
     Thank you for the info. Plan on hunting Pa. groundhogs with this nice little revolver. Any ideas on powder charges for 115 gr. bullet. Plan on using WIN 296.
                                         Thanks, Hub

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Hub,

If using W296/H110 try using 15.0 grains and a WSP primer, the extra pop of the Winchester primer will get most of that powder burned before getting to the end of the barrel, a real plus on the muzzle flash!

This is an excellent load for the .30 Carbine Blackhawk, and is very accurate in the ones I've tested.

Let us know how you do with it!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts