Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just offered up to me a very nice NM Blackhawk in 30 Carbine for very short money.

In thinking about it, I remembered that the 30Carbine uses a small RIFLE primer. Now I like to shoot my revolvers A LOT and as cool as the 30 would be, I don;t want to waste my dwindling stash of SR primers on something that I can do with my 357/41/45 Revolvers....

So the question is, can I safely use small pistol primers in light loads for the 30Carbine?

I was hoping to load a SP primer, ~5gr Unique and a 100gr LRN and have it below 1000fps to keep a cheap, light load for a neat cartridge.

Anyone use anything like that?

Out of principle, I will probably buy the gun either way...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I think the SP primer is not as deep as the SR primer, so the firing pin might not strike it hard enough.

Glad to hear your getting the revolver. This is a neat cartridge.

Primers are getting easier to find.

Good luck.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Dimensions are the same. For light loads, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
502 Posts
My brother has the same revolver and he also has a M1 Carbine "Enforcer" I like the cartridge but never thought it was a good military cartidge. Us small rifle primers when you reload your brass, the firing pin may not strike with enough force and you may have the possibility of "blowing" the primer out.

Jerry

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Will give you a word of caution with the Ruger and that is definately wear ear plugs and ear muffs if you shoot any surplus military ammunition. Without ear protection of any kind I can only shoot about six rounds before getting a splitting headache. With good ear plugs I can up the total count to eighteen sometimes. Using both ear protections usually can shoot couple dozen rounds before getting headaches. This is the only cartridge chambering in a pistol that bothers me. I regular shoot 22, 38, 44 Special and Mag, 45 Auto and recently 445 Super Mag with no problems. I've let others shoot the pistol and they have had similar experiences.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
My brother has the same revolver and he also has a M1 Carbine "Enforcer" I like the cartridge but never thought it was a good military cartidge. Us small rifle primers when you reload your brass, the firing pin may not strike with enough force and you may have the possibility of "blowing" the primer out.

Jerry
For light loads in a revolver? I'm afraid I don't understand your answer at all.....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hailstone: I appreciate the heads up, that is what I have heard from others as well.

Which is more motivation to successfully develop a lighter load.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
For the reduced load you mention, SP primers will be fine.

For full-throttle loads with a ball powder (H110 was created for the 30 Carbine), you'll need SRM primers. With hot Winchesters, you can use SR, but with other makes, maggies.

Double dittoes on the ear protection. That revolver can peel paint.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
Just a side note, and not to hijack the thread, but one of the old time members of our club has a carbine that is rechambered for 22/30 Carbine. Sure is an accurate little bugger, compared to the standard carbine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I briefly owned one of these and quickly got tired of the muzzle flash and decibel level. I used small pistol primers and .32-20 load data to "tame" it and finally sold it. The bullet, if I remember right, was a 100gr JRN from Speer called the "Plinker".

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Great bullet for one. Hornady makes an almost identical bullet; it is also a 100-gr half-jacket with a pure lead core. Their catalog number is #3005. The Speer is #1805.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had one for many years, noise or anything about ever bothered me. Guess after some of the 357, and 44 loads I used to shoot, the 30 was just not an issue.

Had lots of fun with the Plinker bullets, as well as a ton of the pulled mil surp stuff one used to be able to pick up cheap. For varmints try the Speer #1835 JHP. They have a tad more bearing surface which I guess helps them be a tad more accurate. You also might have to check your brass for trim length. Some of mine were a bit long and the pressure would peak with them when fired.

Good luck with the lower loads, never tried them as compared to everything else I shoot, the standard load was low for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
great round when loaded in the revolver you get the versatility of using different charge weights and bullets without worrying about reliability issues. 30 can be loaded to higher pressures than regular magnum rounds and has a very sharp blast as stated before.when handloading of course you can dowload as much as is nessesary. just remember 30 carbine was designed for plkinking and won't really be capable of killing anything that a 22 lr wouldn't. joke intended.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone once said, If you're gonna make a hole, make a big one. So, not really big, but bigger than the 22!

I'm not worried about noise, recoil or flame thrower-like muzzle blast, I'm plenty used to it, and so are my neighbors!

I just haven't been able to get any SR primers and don't want to burn through what I have left on revolver rounds. Not to say that it is a novelty, but I don;t have too many intentions of shooting it beyond punching paper.

Just ordered a couple boxes of the speer 1805s and the dies ($68 for the set seemed a little steep...), hopefully getting the gun on Monday.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Those would be carbide dies, though, right?

I think you were smart to buy it. It will be a fun plinker loaded as you plan, and those guns are in enough demand (for some reason) that you'll never lose a dime on it. If/when you part with it, auction it. You might be amazed!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I love carbide dies, even if they are almost twice as much....

The price with ~50 rounds and the remainder of about 200 rounds of brass, Pac Grips and a holster was too good to pass up. Can't wait to light her off!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
They are a blast to shoot! Pun intended. I finally got out to shoot the one I found last month and I LIKE IT!

SR primers are a bit tough to come by but there are a few around town and I picked up a bunch for my .22 Hornet but I dont think I saw where it says you need magnums for H110 loads. Have to look again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would not make the substitution unless you had some way of testing the pressure generated. Small Rifle primers are designed to take a lot more pressure than a pistol primer. The 30 Carbine is a high pressure round and uses the SR primer for a reason. If you have some way of confirming the pressure level of your loads, then by all means, try it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts