Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there shooting a cast bullet in the .30 Herrett?  I have a Thompson Contender custom bbl. (Texas Contenders) that I haven't shot in 20 or more years and would like to cast and load some of the Lyman 31141 bullets for it, but unable to find any starting loads.
Also, can anybody recommend a barrel maker who will make a cut rifled blank in .30 cal. to re-bbl. a Browning low wall in the .30 Herrett?  Am particularly interested in a blank with deeper than button rifled rifling to take the cast bullets better, is there anyone out there making cut rifled barrels that knows cast bullets and what it takes in the way of rifling to get them to shoot? If the same barrel maker can do the bbl. fitting and chambering as well, so much the better.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Vern,

If you can latch onto a copy of Wolfe's Wildcat Cartridges Vol 2, or the newer combined version, there is a good article by Wayne Blackwell on cast bullets in the 30 Herrett. A ton of info and a bunch of loads including for your stated bullet.

E-mail me with your addy and I'll type you the loads for your bullet.

Loads are from 1300 to 2000 FPS. It also looks like due to the shorter throat length in HIS barrel, bullet weights are lighter up to about 120 grs.

Bullets he used were, Lyman 311441, 311316, 311359, 311576 and RCBS 30-115-SP.

Regards

<!--EDIT|Contender|May 02 2002,22:40-->

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Contender,
I received the e-mailed loads and an on the way with the current Contender bbl.
Still looking for a referral for barrel maker.
vern

1 - 4 of 4 Posts