Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used this new cartridge developed by Olympic Arms for the AR 15 lower?

It's a 243 WSSM necked up to 30 cal. They claim 30-06 ballistics for a 150 grain bullet, which essentially means 308 Win ballistics. This would be superior to Remington's 30 AR, if true.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why?

I say again, why? It is another attempt by the gun industry to sell stuff that you don't need.

There are several manufacturers that build stuff on the AR10 platform...in .308. Last time that I checked, you can find .308 stuff purt-near everywhere.

Also, if you want, they build stuff on the AR10 platform in .243, .260 and others....all of it off the shelf and easily available.

My buddies target AR will shoot 1" gps, at 100, all day long, w/WOLF ammo (a top of the line premium ammo, just ask your buddies ;) , actually it is considered to be junk by many). So, my point, there is no reason to go looking for a special combo, when the standard stuff is almost impossible to beat.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Believe you'll find with research that the WSSM cartridges have had feeding problems in many bolt action firearms. Now there going to let you be the tester (sucker, guenie pig) in there attempt to make it work in a semi-auto rifle.

Have to mirror the above thoughts by stinky.

Bought an AR-10 platform in 308 for deer hunting last year. Huge mistake -- dammed thing weights a ton by end of a days hunting.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I am using the .25 WSSM necked up to .358 in an LR-308 for an Indiana legal deer cartridge and it runs perfectly.
DeTec is doing the same thing but on the AR-15 platform and theirs runs just as well.
If Olympic cannot do it then I would say they are a pretty poor arms company if DeTec and a bozo like me can make it run.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Guys, there a big different is sizes between the AR15 and AR10 series. Consider if you had a lightweight 20 ga that would give you the same preformance 12 ga gun and load. Which would you like to carry thru the fields flushing game or sitting in a stand? As Hailstone found out the AR10 series is heavy and big. The AR15 is smaller and lighter. That is the market the Olympic and Remington are going for.

I would like to see Remington chamber their AR in their 6.8 SPC instead but that ain't going to happen. I'll be building myself a 6.8 SPC with a Spec II chamber later.

CD

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
As I said, DeTec is doing it on the AR-15 platform. Mine is on the LR-308 but that is not to say it must be on that platform. DeTec has more business than I think he can handle from the back logs he has so there is a market and it will work. Also, DeTec is using the Olympic upper/BCG for his conversions, so it most certainly can be done.

CD. when you do your 6.8 make sure you get the SPC II chamber with the 45 degree lead and not the 80 degree lead. It will not make a huge difference but if you shoot high pressure loads like the SSA Combat loads you can run into pressure problems. The 45 degree lead avoids any pressure problems at all. It seems there are more 6.8 chambers than you can shake a stick at. The original 6.8, the SPC II which when first done the prints were wrong and it ended up with the 80 degree lead, then the corrected 6.8 SPC II with the 45 degree lead (6.8 SPC II Revision B), and the 6.8 DMR which was sort of the precursor to the 6.8 x 43.
You might want to check out this thread: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14083
before jumping into the 6.8 willy nilly. I have three of them and it is a great round, but if they change the darned chamber one more time I will pull my hair out.
Also, make sure you go with the 1:11 to 1:12 twist. The 1:10 twist was the first and is still being used by quite a few companies including YHM and DD, but the more accepted twist is the 1:11 to 1:12 for the lighter bullets that are gaining favor in the 6.8, including Barnes new 95 gr. TTSX which are turning in some pretty good velocities.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
BigBore,

Thanks for the info on the 6.8. I've been following now since my old sniper instructor Steve asked me to get him some CZ mags for his 527 that he converted in 02. Here's a few pics of the 6.8 in development with 5th Group. Notice the barrel twist.

Rob Letham and MSG Steve Holland (in uniform) with M4A1 is 6.8 at Ft Campbell in 03/04'

CD

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
leverite,

If it produces the claim velocities with that 22" bbl with its lightweight of 7.5lbs then it well be a force to be reckoned with. But, will you be able to reloaded to the same specs? Did notice that it is also available in .243/.25 WSSM. I think the biggest problem it is going to have is to get over the past shottie Olympic quality. They do not have the best reputation in the business with AR shooters. That said I've had two Oly lowers (stripped) that were tight in the magwell for Thermold/PMags (don't fit).

300 Olympic Super Short Magnum (OSSM)

Exceeds 30-06 Ballistics
150 Grain bullets at 3,000+ FPS!
Made by HSM
20 Rounds per box @ MSRP $49.95

As I stated before I plan on hunting with my AR whenever I can (will miss this upcoming deer season) same way I hunted with my first military battle rifle in high school (unmodified 1903 Springfield).

CD

·
Banned
426 Posts
I have AR10 platforms, and like the lightness of my AR15 stuff, seems they are getting great ballistics with all the new fangled stuff!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good discussion!

Ya know...I've never considered my Rock River CAR4 to be a "light" platform.

I hand it to folks and their first reaction is "it's heavy". I don't have much hanging from it other than a coffee grinder/expresso maker, the DVD player...and the double 30 round mag set up.

In theory, I like the AR 10 line of cartridges, especially the 338 Federal. But it's tough to justify all that weight for hunting when a bolt gun can be had so much lighter. Most of the other "problems" that folks bring up about the AR's from poor accuracy, dirty chambers and evil looks reflect a mindless bias...but the weight is hard to get around.:confused:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I don't recall a single poor review of the 300 OSSM nor the 30/25 D-Tech at the WSSM Zone nor OA2.org. As was stated, the reason for the cartridge line is to use std. AR-15 lowers, but have the full power (or better) of the 243 win, 25-06, and 308+. Olympic uses the 223/243 WSSM shoulder angle of 28 degrees, whereas D-Tech uses the 25 WSSM shoulder angle of 30 degrees.

Personally, I think the idea is outstanding. In fact, I have come within a hair of getting a barrel chambered in one of these carts for my Savage receiver on a couple of occasions.

The actual range reports I've seen reflect that the Olympic claims re: velocity are legit, and Oly has posted the SAAMI-approval testing numbers (conducted by/at Hodgy's facility) on their site. The WSSM case must truly be more efficient than the '06 or 308, 'cause it shows in the ballistics.

Cruise on over to the OA2 or WSSM Zone boards if you're curious!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts