Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Reviving a slightly older thread, mostly because I just found this video that was made and posted a couple of years ago. I already had a liking for Lehigh Defense ammo, but this impressed me. Another video I watched showed a guy making 400 yard hits with a BO using the Lehigh 194 gr Maximum Expansion, but the hold over was insane. He did that test mostly to show that it would still expand even at sub-sonic sppeds out at that distance. That same guy then dropped it down to 200 yards and shot acceptable groups, although I think 200 yards is pushing it for safe, humane kills.
Anyway, here is the guy from Military Arms Channel, along with Iraqi Vet, putting some rounds into gel for penetration and expansion tests. I really like this 195 gr round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDym4GXrPRw.

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Reviving a slightly older thread, mostly because I just found this video that was made and posted a couple of years ago. I already had a liking for Lehigh Defense ammo, but this impressed me. Another video I watched showed a guy making 400 yard hits with a BO using the Lehigh 194 gr Maximum Expansion, but the hold over was insane. He did that test mostly to show that it would still expand even at sub-sonic sppeds out at that distance. That same guy then dropped it down to 200 yards and shot acceptable groups, although I think 200 yards is pushing it for safe, humane kills.
Anyway, here is the guy from Military Arms Channel, along with Iraqi Vet, putting some rounds into gel for penetration and expansion tests. I really like this 195 gr round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDym4GXrPRw.
Yeah, I saw that video a couple days ago. Pretty cool bullets for self defense and even hunting! I still think the 300blk is a great self defense cartridge. Especially from a SBR or "pistol" type AR15. For hunting a 16" barrel will get you out to 150yards with most supersonic loads and out to 200 or so with some others. I worked up a load when I was looking at getting into the cartridge and I found the Hornady 150gr was the best weight to give you maximum range while maintaining enough velocity and energy to make the bullet function correct! It was rather impressive considering this cartridge has the same case capacity as a .45 auto pistol!

I dropped the idea again for now... too many cartridges to load for right now and the .300blk doesn't give me anything I don't already have!

I can ring steel at 300 yards with subsonic/standard .22LR pretty easy so I'd assume subsonic .300 BLK could do it too with enough drop cranked in!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has anyone reloaded the 300blkout 180 wedge HP for super sonic or is this for sub sonic only?
Are you talking about the Rainier 180 gr copper plated swaged lead? It says on the box it's designed for the 300 BO @ subsonic speeds, so I load mine @ 1030 fps & get about MOA accuracy. They are very soft lead with only a .004" thick copper plating. They are .309" diameter & seating them in a standard sized neck is a hard push with the reloading press lever & results in deformed/damaged bullets. I size once fired brass in a Lee Collet die set so the neck doesn't size down as far. Loaded neck is only .002" larger than sized unloaded neck. Also had to send seater stem with some bullets to Lee for modification so they didn't end up with a "ring" around them where the seat stem contacted the ogive. Not sure I would try to push these at higher velocities because they are so soft & the plating is not like a jacket. After getting things figured out with the neck tension & seater stem I am very much satisfied with their performance. They shoot as good as any of the other bullets I've tried & only cost 12 cents(plus shipping) each, so I can load a round for about a quarter. The 208 grain Hornady bullets alone were almost 50 cents each!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I like the little cartridge. My son and I bought the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. I load 110 grain Hornady GMX bullets over a maximum load of H-110. These clock 2400 fps. This combo is accurate in the extreme. Complete pass through on 130 lb or so hogs and on deer within a hundred yards. With 16" barrels they are a light and handy little gun to keep in buggy while scouting around. I keep mind by the back door where the 30-30 once sat. It is so much more accurate (not that I don't like my Model 94).

Reactions: GeronPG

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
It was developed as a niche round for the military. It should have remained there.
The blackout?? No, it was designed to get around paying JDJ royalties for his exclusives on the Whisper. They are otherwise a difference without distinction.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The blackout?? No, it was designed to get around paying JDJ royalties for his exclusives on the Whisper. They are otherwise a difference without distinction.
...and JD designed his round for military applications. Both rely on fast twist to shoot heavies from suppressed barrels for "discreet" operations. Any other application of the round is putting lipstick on a pig, in my opinion.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
Well, unless he was hoping for a specific group who can only purchase a few rounds at a time, his licensing strategy essentially guaranteed it would never see any regular usage there. Heavy bullets fired slowly from a fast twist you say? Sounds like a cast shooter to me, not lipstick.

Regardless,
For those stopping by merely to say you don't like something that wasn't designed for us: don't. There are stickies about that, and we don't need the tone from a passer-by.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,249 Posts
I own AR's in five calibers including 300 BO. The 300 BO uses the same magazine as the 223 which makes it simple. It is also powerful enough for close in deer hunting which I do most of the time. I have always enjoyed trying new calibers so why not the 300 Black Out. My two favorite AR rounds are the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Well, unless he was hoping for a specific group who can only purchase a few rounds at a time, his licensing strategy essentially guaranteed it would never see any regular usage there. Heavy bullets fired slowly from a fast twist you say? Sounds like a cast shooter to me, not lipstick.

Regardless,
For those stopping by merely to say you don't like something that wasn't designed for us: don't. There are stickies about that, and we don't need the tone from a passer-by.
I'm sure his intent was to sell the license to manufacture both barrels and ammunition. He (JD Jones) developed quite a few other "Whisper" cartridges with the same fast-twist/heavy bullet design concepts. They are well-suited to certain applications, including quiet/suppressed shooting, but are generally less well-adapted as hunting cartridges. The exceedingly fast twist in the barrel precludes optimal velocity from normal hunting weight bullets. To be sure, it is only by the advent of excellent quality bullet options that these types of cartridges are suitable for hunting at all. Their original design and intent is not really meant for expanding bullets.

I hope it is acceptable to offer an opinion as to the value of these types of cartridges, and specifically on the 300 Blackout. If the board has made the conscious decision to only allow complimentary input, please let me know.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
You're perfectly fine J. :)

I can't recall where I read this now, but someone has begun building bullets for the B.O. with jackets designed for pistol-type velocities; so they will reliably operate at the speeds being used. Thought it was Sierra, but maybe I invented that....:confused:

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
289 Posts
Back when I dabbled in contenders a bit, Sierra made 30cal "Single Shot Pistol " bullets, not sure if they do presently. They were 125gr IIRC, flat base spire point, with thin jackets for low velocity expansion. I never did hunt with my contenders, so I cannot speak to how that particular bullet performs on game.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Back when I dabbled in contenders a bit, Sierra made 30cal "Single Shot Pistol " bullets, not sure if they do presently. They were 125gr IIRC, flat base spire point, with thin jackets for low velocity expansion. I never did hunt with my contenders, so I cannot speak to how that particular bullet performs on game.
Sierra and Hornady produced bullets intended specifically for the long-barreled pistols. While a lot of the cartridge development was inspired by the difficulty in knocking down the heavy 200 meter rams, when it came to hunting the need was for bullets that would expand well. Sierra called theirs Single Shot Pistol bullets and were offered in several calibers. Hornady called theirs Single-Shot Specialty Pistol bullets, or SSSP. The 180 grain version in 35-caliber is excellent for hunting with a 35 Remington pistol and (if they were still being manufactured) could be swaged to .355" for the optimistically-named 350 Legend.

Another excellent bullet for the hotter single-shot pistol rounds was the Nosler flat-base number that was part of the evolution of the Ballistic Tip offerings. These bullets were very accurate and had a relatively thin jacket with a fast taper that made them open well, even at lower velocities.

If Sierra still made the 130 gr pistol bullet (designed for the 30 Herrett and 30/30 Winchester Contender barrels) it would be a very good choice in a 300 Blackout. At the same time, the mono-metal bullets being made today are just as good and maybe even a little better. As mentioned earlier, it is specialized bullets that allow these relatively under-powered cartridges to be employed for modest range big-game hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as a hunting cartridge goes, Wilson has the 300 Hammr that is supposed to be the BO in spades. Unfortunately, it is strictly a proprietary cartridge, like the 7.62WT. Everything I have read so far indicates it is the cat's meow for a 300 black rifle hunting cartridge.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I think a lot of guys read ".300" and buy it because they can say they have a ".300" cal AR15.
Yep.

I looked at the .300 Black Out and went with a .300 Ham'r from Wilson Combat. It actually does duplicate .30-30 performance in an 18" barrel with 110gr-130gr bullets, 150gr bullets are real close. Close enough.

Forming brass from .223 has not been a problem, and it uses unmodified magazines and internals, (big plus). The Ham'r was not designed for suppressed use, and the round was targeting feral hogs with some extra punch on board. It would work as well as a .30-30 on deer size game, and with pointy bullets would likely be fine out to 200yds, or even a bit more.

But the options for similar rounds from Mad Dog Weapon Systems and Wilson Combat, (and others) is pretty extensive. I went with a .300 as I have a lot of bullets for the .30-30 on my bench, and the availability of dies available from both Lee and RCBS without resorting to custom dies. Same for the .277 Wolverine for those with a .270. Seems there's a semi-wildcat from 6mm up to .308 that runs on the same principal.

Recoil from the Ham'r is barely more than a 5.56X45.

And it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I retired a couple of years ago, I needed something to keep me busy for a while. I decided to investigate the Adult Male Barbie rifles made from recycled beer cans and soda bottles. I wanted to start with pistol, and in looking at the options, the 5.56 in a short barrel just stupid. Might as well just shoot 22lr. The 300 can achieve full power in a 10" barrel so I went with it. It was so much fun I built a carbine upper that is super sweet accurate. I shoot super sonic in the carbine and subs in the pistol. The ammo is almost as cheap as the 5.56 and a lot easier on the ears. I don't hunt with it. I have lots of hunting rifles from 223 to 450 bushmaster and 45/70 strong actions. The 300 pistol is loaded with the new Hornady 190gr subs for home defense.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I built my 300 BO on the M-4 platform a couple years ago, and had taken it deer hunting a few times, but hadn't had a good shot at one until Wednesday. At just over 50 yds., I got a broadside shot just behind the shoulder on a small-to-medium size buck. The 125 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip did the job, broke a rib on the way in, sliced the lungs and top of the heart. I wasn't sure whether to expect an exit wound, but it exited the other side between 2 ribs leaving about a 3/4" hole. No unnecessary meat damage. No blood trail, but he piled up in 30 yds. and didn't kick.
Sure, there are plenty of other guns and cartridges that do an excellent job on deer in the woods, but the 16" AR style with collapsible stock is very handy in a deer stand, no recoil, and the report and muzzle blast aren't bad at all. And if a couple coyotes wandered by, it would be just about ideal.....

And I shouldn't, but I can't resist: lipstick looks pretty good on this pig...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I do note that this thread is now a couple years old. And I also note that now, in 2019, I'm seeing more and more 300 BO ammo in loads from 110 to 220 grain bullets on the shelves at gun stores, and at more and more reasonable prices. It doesn't seem to be going away, as some predicted, if anything, the growth is accelerating. Just sayin..... If you get one, reload for it, shoot it and hunt with it, you'll see why....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ran across this quote, which speaks directly to the original post's issues about not understanding the reason for the 300 BO:

"The .300 BLK is really what two long protracted wars in the Middle East have taught us about what is needed in the average modern gun fight: a hard-hitting, short, light, and quiet, gun that will own 0-300 yards."

The M4 platform and the 300 BO meets those needs, and those qualities - short, light, hard-hitting, good ergonomics, easily modified or customized, with ammo available for a wide variety of tasks- translate well into the hunting woods. So, wish me luck, I'm headed back into the deer woods tomorrow for a couple days, and with my 300 BO. I'm temporarily out of Nosler Ballistic Tips (oh, the embarrassment!) so I'll go with lighter bullet this time - the Speer 125 TNT - and limit myself to broadside or head shots only....

21 - 40 of 50 Posts