Shooters Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
About 1 1/2 year ago I bought a Q Honey Badger carbine in 300 BO. 16" barrel, fun, lightweight carbine. It was sort of an impulse buy, I was thinking in terms of carrying in the truck, capable of taking a deer at close range, usable for home defense, that sort of thing.

I found that it was supremely accurate, surprisingly so, with supersonic cheap factory ammo like Armscorps and PMC, at or just under 1" at 100 yards which I thought was good for a semi-auto carbine. I tried three brands of subsonic and accuracy was poor with all of them, opening up to 4-6" at that same distance.....which I realize isn't what it was intended for.

Odd characteristic of the gun is that it has one of those in-vogue flat triggers, and with the hotter loaded rounds that thing snaps against the trigger finger and it stings a bit, so I took to wearing light gloves when I shoot the gun. No problem with subsonic on that score.

I like the gun, but it is more a toy than anything else. I did just submit the paperwork and am now waiting for a suppressor, a Q Trash Panda. Then I'll play with subsonic some more, have enough brass to handload up a batch once I figure out bullets and loads. That's my next shooting project.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hard Case,
Welcome to the 300 BO family. I'm betting you'll be able to handload an accurate subsonic round with a little experimentation. I, too, was surprised by the accuracy of mine. The trigger is easily changed if it bothers you.
So a "fun" gun - yes. "Toy"? hmmm....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can't help it, I really like the 300 BLK. With my 16" carbine and plain old handguards - no free-float tube - I've been getting consistent near MOA groups with Hornaday 130 SP and the Speer 130 HP. The 125 TNT just over that. The Nosler 125 BT would shoot just under 1 MOA, so it was my hunting bullet. I recently tried the Nosler 125 Accubond, and in 2 range trips, I'm getting nearly 1 hole groups at 50 yds. I thought the first time may have been a fluke, but it did it again yesterday. So it's my new hunting bullet. Again, what's not to like?

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
The .300 Blackout scares me very badly and I expect bad wrecks soon. Please BEWARE!!

A .300 Blk cartridges chambers in 5.56 and .233 rifles. The bullet ogive provides 'headspace' on the shoulder so it DOES shoot with plunger ejector guns. You can imagine the pressure excursions and the shrapnel produced. (Even worse than firing a .308 Win in a .270 Win rifle)

I can't imagine anything more perfectly unsafe than having two uppers that look the same taking two entirely different cartridges contained in the same magazines!
I see a need for highly visible color coding which seems ridiculous on a camo rifle.

Letting kids load magazines seems a good idea unless there could be a 300 Blk that got loaded instead of 223. :eek:

Could it be a conspiracy to install a flinch in AR shooters?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
Plus a 300BO can't do this to a prairie dog at 350 yards

Just saying 😁

My nephew built one (300BO) and has $1000 in it easily. I can't justify that much on a rifle that won't put five under a moa at 100 yards, has the trajectory of a 45-70 and the ballistics of a puny 30-30.

It is however fun to shoot when I'm not the one buying ammo.

YMMV, IMHO, ETC

But hey, you guys are out shooting and that's what counts right?

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
My shooting partner was in negotiations with a pro sports video guy with a remote control dune buggy with a big video cam on top, also remote controlled to come to Idaho on a varmint shoot. We were going to steer it into the sage rat patch and slow mo some homogenization of rodents, but Brian caught the big C and it never got done.

I don't own an AR but If I did it would be a subsonic whisper/black-out with a can. I can't think of a better 'control/alt/delete' of feral cats and great fun to zero at 400 yards and let kids ding the steel plate. I don't have cats but have the plate.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've talked to a guy a few times that has built many ARs. His Son has put together his latest in .224 Valkerie. He has set it up with components that have supreme accuracy in mind. Last time I spoke to this guy, they told me that they had been out shooting golf balls at 300 yards and hitting about 9 out of 10. This round in the AR sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Some guys like velocity, recoil, muzzle blast, or shooting lots of rounds downrange. And I get that; it's fun. I'm more of a "what's the most efficient way to get this done" kind of person. And I really like accuracy. Most of where I hunt is in pine woods with scrub oaks, the farthest shot I will get is 75 yds., and 150 or 160 lbs. is a big deer; most are much smaller. For that, the 300 BLK, or my traditional muzzleloader, or my scoped Redhawk in .44 mag are all more than adequate in accuracy and power. So's the lever action .30-30.

It's kind of funny to me how the blackout is a kind of "love-it-or-hate-it" kind of thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Geron,
You are the first person who posted a real use for the 300BO that I have ever seen.
I am not strong minded at either end for the BO but I have no use for it. It is like so many of the cartridges designed for the AR platform with lots of hype and poor performance. I can see a use in the woods at ranges of 50 to 75 yards for the 300 BO but that is not where I hunt. You seem to be well grounded in reality - that's refreshing.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts