Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used this caliber for long range shooting. If so can you help me to get started in the right direction as far as some favorite loads.I believe the military used it in Vietnam as a sniper caliber.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Since the military never issued 300 H&H ammunition it would have to be some sort of one-of-a-kind black ops thing if one were ever used, I expect. Sniper rifles then were mainly .30-06 and .308 (as used today), though Carlos Hathcock did rig a .50 Browning machinegun with a scope and set the cylce rate low enough to allow single shots to be fired from it. He used it as a counter-sniper weapon to protect the encampment he was in.

No reason you can't experiment with it, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I think that I'll try getting a hold of a armory and see if this caliber was erver izssued asx a black ops. Seem like this caliber has not a big following. My experience is that this caliber has an inherant accuracy. Can't wait to try some loads.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Back in the 70's I fired in 1000 yard matches in California, Arizona and New Mexico, there were almost always 300 H&H magnums on the line, usually older duffers who were spanking a lot of the new guys, (like me), with the old gun. Weatherby took that case and made the 300 Wby mag out of it so it lives on in a new form. I would love the old H&H just because of the history behind it but can't really afford another gun and can't justify it.

Shooting alongside one of them I learned quickly to wait till I heard 'BOOM' before I took aim and went 'bang' with my 308. Lord I do miss those days.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,918 Posts
The .300 H&H dominated the Camp Perry shoots for years prior to WWII. It was the cartridge of choice for the long range competition shooters.

Had a Mod 70 in this chambering back in the early 60's and loved it. Sadly, it was lost in a canoeing accident in the frigid waters of Canada in the mid-60's. With 180 and heavier bullets, it will hold it's own against most present day cartridges.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Ben Comfort won the 1000 yard Wimbledon Cup in 1935 with one.

Ive got a Remington 700 Classic in 300H&H that I have not wrung out to see just what it can do but I know it shoots plenty flat enough to make 400 yards feel very easy.

Ken, that is a crying shame. Makes you just hate canoes, doesn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts