Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find any 125 or 130 gr bullets to load for my Hamr rifles. There are some 150 gr loads described in the Wilson Combat site. I do not have those bullets or cannot get any. I do however have a hodge podge of .308 150 gr bullets. I have attached a picture of them and the 150 load data from Wilson. I know I am going of the reservation with this, but does anyone have any suggestions other than wait till I can get preferred bullets.
thanks Font Material property Book Publication Paper Paint Font Gas Tints and shades Wood

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have not been able to find any 125 or 130 gr bullets to load for my Hamr rifles. There are some 150 gr loads described in the Wilson Combat site. I do not have those bullets or cannot get any. I do however have a hodge podge of .308 150 gr bullets. I have attached a picture of them and the 150 load data from Wilson. I know I am going of the reservation with this, but does anyone have any suggestions other than wait till I can get preferred bullets.
thanks View attachment 102493 View attachment 102494
Since Wilson has load data for 150's, I wouldn't say that you are "off the reservation".
I only know what I've read about the 300 Ham'r, which ain't much. Just seems you are going heavy for caliber. Use normal load development prudence.
And call Wilson with questions.
Sounds like fun!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,885 Posts
I have not been able to find any 125 or 130 gr bullets to load for my Hamr rifles.
Midsouth has some 125's in-stock.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the process of moving right now. I have couple of 150 grains but haven't gotten around to testing. I'll know more in about a month. The 150gr. Speer did not do well 1 1/2 2 MOA. I have some hornady and Sierra left to test. CFE Black was a definite preference. The Wilson Data is accurate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw midsouth stuff, cannot justify precious components on full metal jacket and the larger amount boxes would never get used. i have enough to get through ny deer season and have yet to find a hog hunting spot in my area in florida

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 150's that I loaded ran a little over 2240fps which is about equivalent to a 30-30 or close enough. /What powders do you have. One thing I noticed with the 150's is the depth to lands between the bullet brands is critical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What type of rifle are you loading for? Magazine length in AR's makes heavier bullets problematic due to insertion depth. If you are compressing the charge, you want to use a powder that tolerates that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gonna save my cci 450 and cfe-blk and wait for the right bullet. 300 hamr is best seved by using the 125-130 gr

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not have those bullets or cannot get any. I do however have a hodge podge of .308 150 gr bullets.
So what's the question again? You have 150gr bullets, and data for 150gr bullets, and presumably the listed powders. . . so how did they shoot?

You really need to escape the idea that using generic data is "of (sp?) the reservation". Pay attention to bullet length and seating length, be aware of the changes you're making to initial case volume, start low, and work up.

In my experience with 7.62x40WT (.300 HAM'R's older brother), seating depth of 150s is practically set by magazine length; start there. A very long VLD .308 bullet might possibly have an ogive long enough to reach the case mouth, but I haven't found one. Round nose bullets are likely to have feeding issues. Everything else (M2, M80, commercial ball, commercial spitzer) has run just fine.

I will add that due the low Initial Volume to Bore Diameter ratio, this cartridge has the narrowest operating window vis a vis powder selection of any semi cartridge I've experimented with, and the window narrows further as bullet weight increase. There are only 6 powders that work well under 120gr, and only 2 I've found that work under 150gr bullets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 300 HAMR and I love it. Shoot really well with cast bullets, works great with NOE HTC310-150 bullet that drops 147gr lead bullet, Hi-Tech coat it and the bullet looks like it was designed for this cartridge, shot some one hole groups at 50 yards. I load it with IMR4198 which is not on the list, I am getting about 2000fps with 20gr of powder, probably can push it faster but I haven't tried. Another bullet HTC310-130 drops 134gr bullet also works great with Accurate 1680, 24gr I am getting 2369 fps with MOA accuracy. This one is also Hi-Tech and gas checked design and I use my own aluminum gas checks. Found CFE BLK to be accurate as well with it. The problem with CFE Black is some loads are calling for 28+ gr when at 26.5gr the powder is in the neck and getting compressed and you start to notice that your bullets are not being seated to the same depth anymore! You have re-adjust the seating die for the bullet to go down to the same COAL! I don't like that, but it does reach higher velocity and accuracy is there.

I've also tested Zinc cast and surprised me how accurate it shot, cast from a steel mold that I picked up from eBay and the shape resembles very much Lyman round nose GC-less design, the lead drops 134gr and Zn drops 84gr bullet, I got 2800+ fps with Zinc and there was clover leaf hole about 1 MOA. It's a bit hot load and you really need magnum primers to keep them from going super flat or pierced, that's a little secret that I figured out why Bill uses them magnum primers. The advantage is lower recoil and no need to coat the bullet and it won't deform like lead, good for practice. I use Zinc wheel weights that I pickup for free.

With jacketed I've also tested with Speer 125gr TNT and Hornady 125gr, very accurate. Also tried 150gr Hornady Interlock and it wasn't as accurate but still descent.

I found that brass formed from LC cases have pretty much identical volume as Starline factory brass, maybe 0.1gr difference. You gain about 0.4gr after 1st firing but same true for Starline brass.

Using 300 blackout die and Dillon trimmer, I set it up to convert a bunch of LC brass that I picked up for free. You just run 223 case in to the die and it gets converted and trimmed in one step and than I run expanding mandrel in the next station, the process goes really quick on Dillon RL1100 and converted brass fits the Wilson Combat case gauge perfectly and there was no issue shooting converted brass. I leave a little extra and trim after 1st firing. Very happy with this cartridge. I literally spent years trying to make my Ruger 300 blackout to shoot this accurately with no success and this works right off the bat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In a gas gun, and it functions? Mind if I ask you bbl length and gas length?

I might have to dig out a .310 mold. . .
Function is 100% flawless with IMR4198 in two barrels. First one was actually 7.62x40WT which is predecessor and essentially same cartridge with very little difference. I think it's carbine, I measured almost 8" from barrel extension edge to where GB shoulder ends, so I am guessing its carbine because the 300 HAMR barrel I bought later measures almost 10" and is listed as mid length, this barrel I have not installed because I got chance to buy a 20" from one of Bill Wilson personal guns that he used and that has intermediate gas system which is between mid and rifle and this is the one what I am using right now and it works as well with 4198 so I believe mid length should too. Oddly this powder won't cycle my 223 loads in rifle gas system with 55gr bullet even with max charge where primers get super flat. Powder also produced some small groups in 308 Win with cast bullets and works great in 221 fireball with jacketed bullets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts