Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever shot a mossberg chambered in 300 mag? I am contiplating purchasing one as this will be my first 300 mag and am curious as to if because it is cheaper than savage if it shoots as well or should I spring for a savage or browning? also what would be a good scope pairing for this rifle as I am buying this rifle for the "long shot"

· Inactive account
541 Posts
Hi there, NMG, welcome to the forum.

I havn't shot a Mossberg in .300 Win Mag but I thought I'd be the first to welcome you here! :) Rules are in the stickies at the top of most forums, so you'll find useful help there.

There's lots of people here that have shot a whole slew of guns, so your bound to find someone that has, but I'll have to say I've heard good things about Savages in regards to bang-for-buck (never shot one of those either :s ). I also know for a fact that there are folks here that specialize in long-range shooting, so you'll have great help on that.

See you around the forum,

Matt M

· Inactive account
720 Posts
I have never shot a Mossberg Bolt action rifle. I don't know how much you are thinking of paying for it, but I will give you something to think about. Savage Builds a great rifle, and the 300 win mag caliber is an excellent caliber. I haven't heard much about the Mossberg's, good or bad. So I can't say to much about them.

I myself have a Ruger M77 Mark II in 300 win mag, and it is a very accurate rifle. My advice is to do your homework, you have come to a great place for feed back. Oh and Ruger makes a great rifle as well!!!!

Also welcome to the forum.

· Registered
2,803 Posts
I know of 2 instances where the bolts hit the shooter in the face with Mossberg rifles in 30-06 caliber.

I would not even shoot one much less own one

· Banned
993 Posts
Has anyone ever shot a mossberg chambered in 300 mag? I am contiplating purchasing one as this will be my first 300 mag and am curious as to if because it is cheaper than savage if it shoots as well or should I spring for a savage or browning? also what would be a good scope pairing for this rifle as I am buying this rifle for the "long shot"
By a Savage, Vanguard, Ruger or something on this order of rifle but do not buy the Mossberg, my son-in-law bought one and he sure wishes he has spent his money on some other make.

· Registered
2,803 Posts
The bolt opened when they fired it??????

The pin that holds the lugs to the bolt body broke and the bolt lugs did not close completely and when fired, it flew out and hit the shooter in the face. Extensive facial damge was the result

· Inactive account
1,131 Posts
The pin that holds the lugs to the bolt body broke and the bolt lugs did not close completely and when fired, it flew out and hit the shooter in the face. Extensive facial damge was the result
I remember some talk of this a year or 2 back and many dismissed it as poo poo. Among the discussions, Savage was said to be guilty of the same flaw with only Marlin having the "safe" design. Went around for quite some time but I never saw any information that verified any claims. Have you seen something to make you believe the story?

· Registered
2,803 Posts
I remember some talk of this a year or 2 back and many dismissed it as poo poo. Among the discussions, Savage was said to be guilty of the same flaw with only Marlin having the "safe" design. Went around for quite some time but I never saw any information that verified any claims. Have you seen something to make you believe the story?

Yea, I went to school with the father of one the two people that I know of this happening to. A lawyer in Florida contacted the young mans Uncle the day after it happened to get the details as the Lawyer had a client that the same thing had happened to with the same Mossberg rifle. The young man that I know happened locally

The Savage pinned lug design is a bit different than the Mossberg and has not failed in this manner

· Inactive account
720 Posts
I have a Savage in 270 Winchester, it was my first deer rifle. Never ever had any problems with it. I had a Savage 116 in 338 a few years ago, traded it on my Ruger 338. I am currently in the beginning stages of my Savage Model 110 Rifle build to 264 Win Mag.

I posted this morning what I thought but now since reading about the Mossberg's coming apart, My choices would be as follows:

Ruger, Savage, Vangaurd, Winchester Model 70, and then a Remington M700.

· Inactive account
1,131 Posts
Yea, I went to school with the father of one the two people that I know of this happening to. A lawyer in Florida contacted the young mans Uncle the day after it happened to get the details as the Lawyer had a client that the same thing had happened to with the same Mossberg rifle. The young man that I know happened locally

The Savage pinned lug design is a bit different than the Mossberg and has not failed in this manner
From what I can tell looking at schematics, the Mossberg and Savage bolt head designs are near identical. They both use a bolt head retaining pin that the firing pin runs through. I do know that Savage modified the bolt head pin some years back because of reported cracks in the retaining pin which gives some credibilty (to me at least) about failures.
I did a search on the Mossberg and found a few links from 24 Hour Campfire. A suit in Florida was mentioned but it was dismissed per owner malfunction, not rifle. Don't know if that was your friend or not, also looked like more than 2 incidents have been discussed. I'm not trying to refute your warning jwp, just chewin the fat a little. I'm not going to ever own a Savage or Mossberg anyway so I have no concerns either way.

· Registered
2,803 Posts
From what I can tell looking at schematics, the Mossberg and Savage bolt head designs are near identical. They both use a bolt head retaining pin that the firing pin runs through. I do know that Savage modified the bolt head pin some years back because of reported cracks in the retaining pin which gives some credibilty (to me at least) about failures.
I did a search on the Mossberg and found a few links from 24 Hour Campfire. A suit in Florida was mentioned but it was dismissed per owner malfunction, not rifle. Don't know if that was your friend or not, also looked like more than 2 incidents have been discussed. I'm not trying to refute your warning jwp, just chewin the fat a little. I'm not going to ever own a Savage or Mossberg anyway so I have no concerns either way.

I know the one young man and he needed reconstructive face surgery, it was not good, that's for sure. I am at a loss as to how a bolt can hit one in the face and be operator error. One such iccident is enough for mne to be leary. I am partial to my face as is

I was told that the Mossberg pin is a smaller diameter in the middle to allow the firing pin room to function. I do not know if that is correct or not

· Inactive account
1,131 Posts
I know the one young man and he needed reconstructive face surgery, it was not good, that's for sure. I am at a loss as to how a bolt can hit one in the face and be operator error. One such iccident is enough for mne to be leary. I am partial to my face as is

I was told that the Mossberg pin is a smaller diameter in the middle to allow the firing pin room to function. I do not know if that is correct or not
I don't have either rifle to measure the pins. Savage changed their retaining pin to a smaller firing pin hole to reinforce the center area where they were breaking as I recall. Seems to me that if the scenario were even possible, a Savage or a Mossberg would fail in the same manner givin the pin runs through the bolt body and the bolt head with a center hole for the firing pin. I think a better question would be, even if cracked, how does the pin get short enough to pull itself in and not turn the bolt head? Maybe anyone with a rifle that utilizes a floating bolt head design should look into this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.