Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle is a 300 Remington Ultra Mag, year 2005, 700 BDL, Remington.

180 Grain Sierra Spitzer
87 grains RL22

Recent shooting problems on my fathers rifle have arrived with terrible time less than 2 months before his Montana hunting trip. Since 2005, he has consistently shot 200 yard groups smaller than 2". starting last week, rifle groups started getting very inconsistent, size 5" plus. Nothing with the load has changed. The powder and bullet have remained the same. His first concern was a fouled barrel. He spent an inornamous amount of time cleaning the barrel. The same results are occurring.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Stock warpage would be my first thought. wood bending to the right or left on the barrel.

Chaeck to see if it is free floating. Then if not I'd free float it and try again. I have the same gun and about the same age (but sith a plastic stock). If someone else you know has a plastic stock that could be "borrowed" for a range session, that would isolate the problem if the wood is the problem.

Generally, where are you located?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,376 Posts
Given my experiences with RL-22, I'd say the temp changed...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Fred243 "Has it had the same scope all along, and if so how many times a year does he shoot it ? Check rings, bases, etc."

Yes, Same scope. I would imagine he puts roughly 25 shells a year through it. usually around november. There has probably been a total of 150 shots since first fire

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,887 Posts
As suggested, check the stock screws for proper torque tightening and the barrel channel in the stock for tight spots.

Question: Is only your father experiencing this problem, or has anyone else tried shooting and had the same result? Aging eyes can have an effect (ask me how I know!).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think darrker may have hit this one I had the same problem with my 375 rum. I have stopped all rl22 use because of it. Something to check is every nut and bolt on the entire gun. This might be the last thing you want to do but remove the scope and look for any burrs or deformation of the rings if so get some new HIGH QUALITY steel rings. Also you could try to put the glass on a different rifle the rums have a reputation for eating glass mine ate two before I spent the money on a very high quality one. I hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
683 Posts
Check your rings, I had two 300RUM's, a Sendero and a SPS, one went shooting erratic one day, I found out it had cracked both scope rings. I wont buy Burris rings anymore, replaced them with Leupold and never had anymore problems out of it. Also like someone else said, I have found all Reloader powders to be temp. sensitive.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
~ Tighten stock bolts.
~ Check mag box/floorplate for incorrect installation.
~ Use small aiming points.
~ Clean barrel...then shoot five fouling shots. Quit cleaning after that.
~ Check for broken windage screw on base.
~ Make sure ring and base screws are tight.
~ Use a solid rest.
~ Debris or rust under barrel.
~ Scope covers touching barrel.
~ Scope touching barrel.

~~~~~~~~~~

~ What brand and type of rings?
~ What has happened or been done to the rifle since it was shooting well?
~ Same shooter, different shooter/s?
~ Any changes in your father during the last year that can affect shooting skills?
~ Has the gun been glassbedded?
~ Has the barrel been freefloated?...and the barrel channel sealed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
300 RUM issue

Leupold Mounts, rings and scope. Had them lapped as well.
Barrel is clean.
Checked all screws and bolts.
No debris under barrel.
The rifle was Accurized at a very well-known gun shop. No reason to question their work as the rifle shot well for several years. At 200 yds, the group is 3-4" + whereas it had been previously 1.5-2". Mu issues started after I re-adjusted my dies (which I now regret) and have had the problem ever since. First - the full length re-sizing caused the top portion of the casing to swell on once fired casings thus, not allowing the casing to fit into the chamber. That was corrected by adjusting the FLS die by placing a dime between the shell holder and FLS die.
Using 87 grains RL22, 180 gr Sierra SP with Federal 215M primers. OAL is measured at 3.568". Never measured speed.
Tried two variations of IMR7828 and IMR 4350 which produced results even worse. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions as well as load recipes. Is Retumbo the right fit for this rifle?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My issues started after I re-adjusted my dies .. First - the full length re-sizing caused the top portion of the casing to swell on once fired casings .... That was corrected by adjusting the FLS die by placing a dime between the shell holder and FLS die.
The loads may just be very inconsistent, thus giving inconsistent groups.

Double-check your die setting procedure. You should not need to use a dime as a spacer.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,887 Posts
Try using a little slower powder. For large capacity cases, RL25 has always worked for me. Never had much luck with the IMR7828 for some reason. As above, you'll just have to try various loadings and bullet combinations/seating depths to find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good groups

With a high recoil gun like that a good quality scope is a must. That kind of recoil can destroy a scope over time.
2" at 200 is excellent accuracy. 3 to 5 inches is what an average gun would shoot but if your sure your gun will do 2" then look for loose rings, bases and everything else then replace the scope. Got to love blue lock tite.
As a side note, I met a guy at the range with a RUM and he had payed $60 for a box of hi-dollar ammo. I went home and took inventory. I phoned him and told him I could reload the same load, bullet and all for $19. Never heard from him again. Funny.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Mu issues started after I re-adjusted my dies (which I now regret) and have had the problem ever since. First - the full length re-sizing caused the top portion of the casing to swell on once fired casings thus, not allowing the casing to fit into the chamber.
Sounds to me like your case neck is too long, here...

That was corrected by adjusting the FLS die by placing a dime between the shell holder and FLS die.
You just prevented the neck from bottoming out in the die with the dime. Trim your cases!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,503 Posts
What Shawn said. My 300RUM brass grows .003-.004" each firing. I measure after sizing and trim if needed.

RJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
he's headspacing on the shoulder, the RUM has no belt....

if you are having to CRAM them in the chamber, then you're gonna run a hellova lot more pressure, and the accuracy goes out the window....

especially if the case is too long, cause if it gets up on the "Step" , even just a little bit, it takes a LOT more pressure to shove the bullet out.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts