Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok folks im from Australia and love my hunting including deer.

I have a 300 win mag which i use to shoot deer out to 400 yards easy.

To the Point.

I im buying a 300 RUM in remington 700 sps ADL . as a play gun i want to put a tactical stock on it and a TAC LRS1 Millet scope on it.
I want to shoot deer out 600 to 700 yards every now and then.

What i want to know is below.

1. What weight projectile should i use.

2. With a 180gr horn I/L what ft/lbs energy could i expect at the muzzle.

3. What distance should i zero it in at.

4. What kind of recoil could i expect compared to the 300 win mag i got with the same 180gr pill.

5. What group could i expect to get at 100yds.

6. What powders should i use to get between 3000 ft/s and 3300ft/s

Ok if you people think ive missed something out put it in as a reply the more info i get the better.

All replys are much appreciated.

Thanks Wayne.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,627 Posts
First, welcome. There'll be others along to do the same. :cool:

I cuurently have a 300RUM in a Remington 700 Sendero SFII.

From my experience it only likes longer bullets like the Nosler Accubond (180 and 200 grn.) and Swift Scirroco II's in 180's, so from that I'd try 180's in those flavors. I've tried Hornadys, Speer grand Slams and Sierras in 165's, 180's and 200's and my rifle detests them. Surprisingly, the Sendero likes 150 grain Sierra flat based bullets. They really do a number on prairie dogs :eek:

From my experiences shooting elk with this rifle I would recommend a stouter bullet than the Interlock. I use 180 grain Interlocks in my 30-06AI at near 2900 fps and it seems they do ok, but at the velocities the 300RUM is capable of I don't think they would be a good "deer bullet". Meat damage would be IMO, intolerable. Muzzle energy at 3200 fps would be in the 4000 lbft range at the muzzle with 180 grain bullets.

I sight in 3" high at 100 yards which on paper puts the bullet about 18-20 inches low at 500 yards.

Recoil from the 300RUM takes some getting used to. I feel it's more like a sharp shove like my 7mm mag. only harder. Much harder. My Sendero weighs over 9 pounds with scope, ammo and sling, the SPS is only 7 1/2 pounds so recoil from it will more. It'll slap you some so be aware of "scope eye".

Mine shoots 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards with ease when I take my time and not let the barrel get too hot. Three shots and the even the heavy fluted barrel gets pretty warm. The fourth shot is ok to touch, but after the fifth shot IMO, the barrel is too hot to continue shooting. I usually wait 10 minutes or so after the third shot to shoot the 4th and 5th shots. Here's my best group using 180 grain Accubonds and IMR7828.

Trying to concentrate for a five shot group after being walloped by the first three ain't easy even when using my 45 pound shooting sled.

H1000, IMR7828, IMR4831 and Reloader 25 are good powders for the 300RUM. My rifle likes IMR7828 so well I bought an 8lb keg to keep it's voracious powder appetite fed. It doesn't take long to burn up a pound of powder at 90+ grains per cartridge.

I have a 700SPS Varminter in .223 and the stock on it is, well, IMO not very good. I can't say what the stock is like on the SPS in 300RUM, but it's probably about the same, cheap. I'd go for a 700CDL with it's nice heavy wooden stock like this one. (The 300RUM in 700CDL is in the center)

RJ

·
Registered
601 Posts
In my mind shooting deer at 600-700 yards is not hunting...it's killing. Hunting involves using your skills as an outdoorsman to evade your prey's senses in order to get close enough to make a kill. You are talking about sniping...at animals that don't know that you are around. Plus, the risk of wounding game escaping at this distance is high enough...no matter how skilled you are...to make this kind of killing unethical in my mind. I would urge you to give the game you hunt the respect they deserve and EARN the right to take their life by HUNTING them. Save the 400 yard plus stuff for paper targets.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Blaze away at long distance, I say. Just be sure you are good enough at it that you don't cause all the problems associated with wounded game etc. Few people that carry long range rigs can shoot them effectively past 2-300 yards, if my observations are the norm. Don't let that be you! I can attest that the 130 grain Barnes X bullet is an interesting load for the .300 RUM. It cooks along at around 3700 fps, and will punch through a good sized bull elk at 600 yards. It will also penetrate a large mule deer lengthwise, and it's rather flat-shooting. Not saying it's the "best load", just interesting, if you happen to want to try it. Can't rmember what powder it was, but it's noted in the Barnes book, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
In my mind shooting deer at 600-700 yards is not hunting...it's killing. Hunting involves using your skills as an outdoorsman to evade your prey's senses in order to get close enough to make a kill. You are talking about sniping...at animals that don't know that you are around. Plus, the risk of wounding game escaping at this distance is high enough...no matter how skilled you are...to make this kind of killing unethical in my mind. I would urge you to give the game you hunt the respect they deserve and EARN the right to take their life by HUNTING them. Save the 400 yard plus stuff for paper targets.
Guy asks a question about a RUM and gets a sermon on ethics. :rolleyes:

My advice to you is to develop the most accurate load you can, practice vigorously t the distances you intend to hunt at, then decide where your limitations are and stick to them.

Good luck in your endeavor !!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum !! All i say is know your limits and stick to them whatever they may be. If your trained and experienced out to 600-700 yards then let em fly by all means. A few numbers for you to think about, a couple of the other guys suggest a little better bullet, tougher with a higher weight retention, with the velocities produced by the 300 RUM they will expand just fine. The Hornady I/L 180 gr has a BC of .454. A few to think about with definite higher weight retentions as well as higher BC's which i think would be better for the distances your talking about. Hornady Interbond 180gr/BC of .480. Barnes Tipped TSX 180gr/BC of .484. Nosler 168gr E-Tip BC of .503 and the Nosler 180gr E-Tip BC of .523. The Weatherby factory load of 180gr Accubond at 3250 fps with a zero of 300 yards will drop 22.4 inches at the 500 yard mark. A 300 yard zero would be a good zero for the ranges you mentioned. Muzzle energy numbers are as follows- 3000 fps has 3597 ft lbs, 3100 fps has 3841 ft lbs, 3200 fps has 4092 ft lbs, and 3300 fps has 4352 ft lbs. I hope this helps some and best of luck to you sir !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
A friend has a factory Rem700 300 RUM with the synthetic stock and he shoot the 165gr e-tips from nosler and says they are real accurate. I have a factory REM700 BDL that we rechambered in 300RUM and i havnt had a chance to go to the range and shoot yet. I am working on 180gr barnes x-bullet. I have shot it once and it has a break on it and feels like my .270's kick so IMO I would think about a muzzle break. Happy shooting with this monster and buy lots of powder cause those cases take alot of powder lol.

If i get chance to go to the range this weekend I will post my results of my day with it.

doug

·
Banned
742 Posts
Funny how people judge others on what they can or can't do themselves. A 30-30 is sniping compared to spears and bows. And what difference does the distance make? They animal usually doesn't know in either case as to where you are.

I always thought the "super" 300 mags works best with 200 grain and better??? I have no experience and just curious in the matter.....

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Funny how people judge others on what they can or can't do themselves. A 30-30 is sniping compared to spears and bows. And what difference does the distance make? They animal usually doesn't know in either case as to where you are.

I always thought the "super" 300 mags works best with 200 grain and better??? I have no experience and just curious in the matter.....
Amen Brother Woodchuck !!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,627 Posts
It seems we have scared the beegeeezuss out of poor redeer with all our rhetorical opinions. You guys can chew me out if you want BUT the poor bloke just wanted a few answers not a discussion on shooting/hunting ethics.

For all we know redeer is a very ethical sort of fellow and to belittle him, his ideas and shooting abilities is not what this forum IMO is all about. We can give him advice because that's why he posted his question here.

NOBODY said anything like this to me when I posted pictures of my 300RUM's. Nobody said ANYTHING BUT PRAISE when I posted pictures of my long distance shot on my '08 elk hunt.

So what's the difference?

RJ

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It seems we have scared the beegeeezuss out of poor redeer with all our rhetorical opinions. You guys can chew me out if you want BUT the poor bloke just wanted a few answers not a discussion on shooting/hunting ethics.

For all we know redeer is a very ethical sort of fellow and to belittle him, his ideas and shooting abilities is not what this forum IMO is all about. We can give him advice because that's why he posted his question here.

NOBODY said anything like this to me when I posted pictures of my 300RUM's. Nobody said ANYTHING BUT PRAISE when I posted pictures of my long distance shot on my '08 elk hunt.

RJ
It's an internet shooting forum. Don't you know it's the civil duty of 90% of the folks registerd therein to inform the unwashed, magnum-toting neophytes of their lack of ethics and errant ways ??? :D Everybody knows that there's no need for a rifle that can drop big game beyond 150 yards.........no matter how accomplished a rifleman may be behind it. :rolleyes:

You reinforce my earlier post, well, RJ. We think alike. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts

RJ
AMEN my friend. I had some a-hole start talk poop about my 7mm/300wby i have when i was looking to see anyone has played with this wildcat. I just he didnt run off before he got what was looking for:(.

·
Banned
742 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you don't understand that there is a profound difference between shooting game at 150 yards compared to shooting at over 500 yards, you have no business even considering a 500 yard shot.

I've seen people miss 50 yards shots on deer. I've seen people hit woodchucks 650 yards away.
They were different people.

The distance doesn't matter. What matter's is whether or not the guy can shoot. And yes, there is a profound difference. And most people stay within their capabilities.

But those who can, may as well do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts