Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a savage model 99 in .300 savage.
can i use it for elk hunting?
and what would be the maximum range?
im probably not elk hunting anytime soon i was just wondering because the .300 savage is a pretty small round, its not a .300 magnum or anything.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I have not killed an elk with my 300 Savage. More clearly - I have not killed an elk. Having said that, I live in one of the richest environments for elk in the southwest, and so have heard the testimony and seen some of the results of elk hunters. I wouldn;t hesitate, even for a moment, to use my Savage 99 for elk. In fact, I decided when I applied that if I draw this year, that's what I'll use. It will most likely be loaded with 40.4gr of IMR4064 under a 165gr Hornady Interlock.

I think it'll be fine if kept under 300 yards. If a guy has a rifle with an action a little stronger than the Model 99, he could even increase the load over what I mentioned, giving a little more velocity and energy. The hottest cartridges today are the magnums, and in my area, specifically the 300WM. All I can answer with in comparison is the 30-06, but I think the 300 Savage is adequate.

Pictures are required!

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
i have a girl friend -- I think she's 85 now, maybe 86. She killed her first bull elk in 2011, a decent 5x5. Before that she had killed several cow elk and one mulie buck that was outrageous. Probably score around 190. She did all of this with her .300 Savage and a box of ammunition she bought almost 20 years ago. A bullet a year is all she has needed. As wild as that sounds it's all true. I've written articles about her and at least one other journalist I know has. Well, the part that isn't true is the girl friend thing. I mean, I'm married and she's a little old for me, but how can you not love an ole girl like that?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why not ??

The .300 Savage is basically a "30/30 magnum". Keep your shots to 200-250 yards with a heavy bullet and come back & post up the pics of your trohy elk.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,463 Posts
The .300 Savage is just a hair off the .308 in power and speed.
I'd venture to say, with ethical hunting and proper shot placement, the elk would be good as dead.
I'd also say that the elk won't know whether it was '06, 308 or the 300.

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
Since it's the rifle you have, I'd have no reservations shooting elk with it. Like was mentioned it's a little less rhan a .308 Win and as such I'd try for shots under 250 yards. Put that 165 grain Hornady in the right place and there's meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I have a savage model 99 in .300 savage.
can i use it for elk hunting?
and what would be the maximum range?
im probably not elk hunting anytime soon i was just wondering because the .300 savage is a pretty small round, its not a .300 magnum or anything.
I've hunted with the .300 Savage and have killed deer with it. That being said, it would not be the cartridge I'd choose from my rifles to hunt elk with. Since that's not the case here, I'd simply say this; use a quality bullet (I suggest a premium bullet, due to the typical performance and bullets It's normally loaded with). You're saving the cost of a new, heavier rifle, so I'd say use a DoubleTap 150gr TSX, or a DoubleTap 165gr Accubond, if using factory loads. Keep your shots to about 250 yards or less. Same as a 30/06's at 300 or so, which most would say is good to go for elk.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The only difference between a 300 Savage and a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is range. Get a little closer with the Savage, and it'll work equally well in all respects.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I took 11 elk when I lived in Colorado.4 with a 1920's vintage Marlin lever gun in .32 Win. Special.One with a turn of the century Win. '94 in 30/30.The rest with a .257 Roberts Improved (Ackley) using 120 gr. Nosler Solid Base bullets. Your rifle is plenty of gun. You would howl with laughter at the cannons that have been hauled into the Rockies after elk,and touted as the only suitable cartridge for the job.No real elk hunters own them,though.;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I believe at one time (maybe still) the world record Elk was killed with a 300 savage. It would still do the same today..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,092 Posts
The nice thing about lower-velocity cartridges is that they are not too rough on bullets. Keeping MV down below 3,000fps makes bullets behave well, generally.

Good luck to you. After having run up and down the mountains in Idaho looking for elk, a light, handy rifle is a good thing!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Heck know the .300 Savage ain't enough. Those Elk will just laugh at you. I know a guy with a .300 Rum. I told him to ditch that little thing for Elk and get at least a .30-378 max loaded with 200 grain bullets:)

Seriously, the .300 Savage with 165s or 180s will do better than high velocity rounds like the .270 and 7mm Mag and cup and core bullets.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I've hunted with the .300 Savage and have killed deer with it. That being said, it would not be the cartridge I'd choose from my rifles to hunt elk with. Since that's not the case here, I'd simply say this; use a quality bullet (I suggest a premium bullet, due to the typical performance and bullets It's normally loaded with). You're saving the cost of a new, heavier rifle, so I'd say use a DoubleTap 150gr TSX, or a DoubleTap 165gr Accubond, if using factory loads. Keep your shots to about 250 yards or less. Same as a 30/06's at 300 or so, which most would say is good to go for elk.

Best of luck.
+1 on this, the premium bullet would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
My late Cousin "Bill" used a .300 Savage Model 99 for all his hunting from: Deer to Elk & even Black Bear. It was his favorite rifle and he used it to take his first Elk (one of many) in Colorado, also in Idaho, & Washington State. He used open sights and I don't think he chanced a shot over 150- 200 yards using 180 grain bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,092 Posts
It isn't. Although the game is larger, a Partition or similar will probably not make a big difference at .300 Sav velocities. My thinking is that for .30 cals, a .30-06 is right on the border of premium vs. plain bullets. It's a cartridge that will work either way. The various .300 mags are rough on bullets at short range and really do benefit from tougher bullets.

Below the .30-06, the velocities go down and good plain bullets should work as well as anything.

I hunt with Partitions in my .30-06, but that's because the rifles are accurate with them. I could well get by with something cheaper and know lots of hunters that do.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Well, for me, after reading the extensive posting about the 180gr TTSX in the .35 Rem at significantly lower velocities than found in the .300 Savage and that opened better than the 200gr C/L did, a lighter TSX makes sense. So, I figure a 150gr TSX at much higer velocity than a 180 from a .300 will open up more and likely penetrate better as well.

Picture is of the 180gr TTSX fired from .35Rem at 2200+

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
MikeG nailed it. Premiums probably aren't needed at the slower speeds and likely closer quarters. But hey if the Accubonds shoot a lot better then Cor-Lokts, the is no reason NOT to use them, either. But, with faster cartridges, it can make some sense. You might have that big heavy long distance rifle with super high velocity, and end up having an animal pop out 50 yards in front of you. A light jacketed or C&C bullet might not do all that well. Had a friend several years ago shoot a cow elk with C&C in a 7mm Rem at about 100 yards, took several shots to put her down and the bullets didn't fully penetrate. Now they DID fully expand lol and then some, looked like a soda can that had been crushed it was so flat. I shot the calf next to his cow, same distance, within seconds of his first shot, mine was a 2 shot deal (didn't need the 2nd, but I like "paying my insurance" on elk in nasty country lol). My first bullet passed through and did a lot of damage before it exited. 165gr FailSafe fired from a 300wsm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts