Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

A couple of years ago, I obtained a dandy Savage 99 in 300 savage.  First time i fired it, with W-W factory 150s, they went nicely into an semetrical 100 yard group around an inch and a half, shade more, maybe.  

I have tried Sierria's, Hornady's, Nosler's, and speer's from 125 grains to 180 grains, in spitzers, semi-spitzers, boattails, hollowpoints, and round noses.  I have matched the factory group twice, and bettered it only once, all from the same lot of 155 Hornady A-max's.  The last batch of 165 hornady boat tails.....well.....it was ugly.

I normally use IMR 3031, and most all the time max it out, using the manual for the corresponding bullett.  I have a sustainal battery of firearms, and this one combination is the only one that facotry stuff shoots better than hand rolled.  Can ya'll help me troubleshoot?

Thanks kindly,

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
My Lyman's #47 says to use Win 748 for best accuracy and velocity. No compressed charges necessary. Short neck doesn't help. Try a crimp to get uniform tension on the bullets. I've never reloaded for it, but friends have had good results.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi:
  Ken Waters had a Pet Loads article on the .300 Savage in Handloader #209, February 2001. He got the best accuracy with IMR 4895 and Winchester 748. Back issues were &#366 the last time I ordered.
<a href="http://www.handloadermagazine.com

Bye" target="_blank">http://www.handloadermagazine.com

Bye</a>
Jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
with a standard diclaimer, I.E. works for me, dunno 'bout yours:
I shoot 165 gr BT exclusively in mine, mostly Sierra, Hornady should be good also as other caliber poly tips seem to be good stuff. Speer doesn't shoot quite as well. I use 3031, H-380 & VARGET. No load books I have found show loads for VARGET, 308 WIN is nothing more than a 300 Savage case lenghtened & the shoulder "flatter" for lack of a better term to gain a little longer neck. Remember the 300 came along when short fat cases were "not cool".  I looked at the case volume difference, used that as a % & deducted that % from a .308 VARGET load ( my 168 MATCH load) & started there with the 300.
No quarentee, just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts