Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new rifle.  I narrowed it down to Remington 300 Ultra or a 338 Ultra.  With the 338 I can hunt almost anywhere in the world.  My concern is, can I handle the recoil of the 338 Ultra?  I have fired .358 Normas,  .338 Win, and 7 STW with out any trouble. I currently hunt Elk with  a .30-06 which good enough  but what happens on the day I have to go to Alaska or somewhere I need something more then a .30 cal?  I understand shoot what you are comfortable with.  Well I feel like buying a new gun.  If anyone has some info I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haven't shot the Ultra's but I have shot several .338's and .375's. If you can handle a .338 with "no problems" the Ultra's shouldn't be a problem - unless you put them in a superlight gun.

If you have a .338 what more do you need? If not, why not just get a .338?  Ammo is available anywhere there is game large enough to require it. A few fps won't make a real difference compared to your shooting ability.

My .02

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shoot a 338 Win Mag for everything - last spring a buddy got a new 338 Ultra Mag - it had a 26" pipe and some sort of custom brake - I shot the first 6 rounds from it and I was not impressed in the least - the recoil is abusive, the muzzle blast absurd and the accuracy in this particular rifle was abysmal - I will take my 338 Win Mag ANYTIME (and kill just a well, and shoot just as far) You will also find 338 Winchester Mag ammo on alot more shelves when you are without

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum Allie. Rules are simple, be nice and join in. You might check out our FAQ section at the top of the page to help navigate the forum.

I've got a couple of friends with ultra-light 300 Ultra-mags and both have a muzzle brake and are nice to shoot. I'd sure suggest getting a brake on either one you settle for. Both are shooting 180 grain bullets out of the 300 Ultra's over 3300 fps. One of these a Christensen Arms model built on a Remington action with the carbon fibre covered barrel is very impressive indeed.

I've put a bunch of rounds thru both these guns and both guns are in the 6.5 pound range with scopes. Both deliver much less recoil as their set up than my unbraked 8mm Rem mag.

If I were going to just hunt lower 48 game I'd be happy with a 300 Ultra. If I were planning on Alaska or Africa then the choice would be simple, the 338 Ultra.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Something to think about here , Remember that Remington and some of the other manufacturers make "managed recoil" loads and full blown max loads. You can choose your power level for your caliber. Especially Remington , which I believe makes three power levels on the Ultra ammunition specifically to address the issue you have raised here. I would go with the 338 Ultra Mag.

·
Banned
195 Posts
I've got the 300 RUM with a brake. I'm loading for mine and getting 3350-3400 fps from 168 gr Barnes TSX bullets. Recoil on my load (with the brake) is like a 243 load. I can shoot it all day long with comfort. Brake makes it louder though.

You can shoot anything in Africa that doesn't require a minimum .375 with the 300. That's why I got mine (to practice before I go someday).

If you don't reload your own ammo for either caliber you are considering is a pretty penny though.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,938 Posts
OK, here's my 2 cents.

After owning and shooting 2 different 300RUM's, one in 700CDL and the new one in 700 Sendero SFII, I can say that the recoil from either rifle is quite managable. I have heard that the recoil from a 338RUM is pretty brisk. I haven't shot one, so I can't comment to it's briskness, but I have shot a 338 Lapua and if the RUM version of a 338 is close to that, then Katie bar the door because you will be ROCKED clear to your socks.

There are other bullet options for the 300RUM if you think that a 180 grain bullet going 3300 + fps is not fast enough or carrying enough energy to cleanly kill anything that walks the North American continent. Barnes, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Swift and Wooleigh to name a few offer bullets in excess of 200 grains in several jacket configurations to appease the need for heavier, tougher bullets for heavier tougher animals.

I am currently working on a load for my Sendero using Sierra's 200 grain Game King and Noslers 200 grain Accubond bullets. Neither has the "kick" of the 338 Lapua, but accuracy seems to be very good so far (I've only shot 2 different loads).

If I were to go bigger, I think I'd have an 8mmX300RUM built.

JMO

RJ

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've got a 7RUM in a 700BDL, that is extremely accurate with 1.5" groups at 330 yards, it doesn't have a brake and recoil is brisk. I would not hesitate to own a 338 RUM, although with Ruger's new 416 Ruger, I feel a 338 Ruger is right around the corner.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
OK, here's my 2 cents.

After owning and shooting 2 different 300RUM's, one in 700CDL and the new one in 700 Sendero SFII, I can say that the recoil from either rifle is quite managable. I have heard that the recoil from a 338RUM is pretty brisk. I haven't shot one, so I can't comment to it's briskness, but I have shot a 338 Lapua and if the RUM version of a 338 is close to that, then Katie bar the door because you will be ROCKED clear to your socks.

There are other bullet options for the 300RUM if you think that a 180 grain bullet going 3300 + fps is not fast enough or carrying enough energy to cleanly kill anything that walks the North American continent. Barnes, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Swift and Wooleigh to name a few offer bullets in excess of 200 grains in several jacket configurations to appease the need for heavier, tougher bullets for heavier tougher animals.

I am currently working on a load for my Sendero using Sierra's 200 grain Game King and Noslers 200 grain Accubond bullets. Neither has the "kick" of the 338 Lapua, but accuracy seems to be very good so far (I've only shot 2 different loads).

If I were to go bigger, I think I'd have an 8mmX300RUM built.

JMO

RJ
As I sit here contemplating the 8mm rem mag sitting in the safe I often think of having it rechambered to an 8mm Ultra-mag. I'm getting 3080 fps across my chrono now with 220 grain Sierra Game King. Kind of like the idea of 3200 fps with that same bullet. But then I'd have to blueprint the action, put a brake on it and so forth. It kills elk now to 500 yards with some authority and I'd like to put the money into other things.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I say put money into other things Bob. When you're talking over 3000 fps with a 220 grn bullet, what will another 120 fps in a 8mm RUM do your RM won't? IMO...not much.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wife's uncle has a 700 in .338 RUM. I guess with the original factory stock the felt recoil was worse. I never shot it that way. He's since put it in an HS Precision piece. I have shot it with the new stock and can say that it's lively, but not brutal. It may be more of a jolt than some would call "fun". I'd try one first before I bought one if I were that concerned. It's a tad less snappy than my .375 Weatherby.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Bob there is not enough powder gain from the 8mm rem to the 8mm Ultra to get the velocity increase that you are expecting

Allie, your 30-06 properly loaded with handle any thing in Alaska and that is for sure and for certain.
Phil Shoemaker and Bear guide of some renoun often uses a 30-06 as his back-up rifle

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I know jwp, I've no intention of changing over, just dreaming. And your right the 06 with premium bullets does do a good job. I killed a Dahl sheep in Alaska with one pushing a 165 grain bullet as fast as I dared at just over 650 yards. I do like the way the 8 mag kills elk though.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,938 Posts
If and when the barrel on my Sendero goes to pot, I'm getting it a new barrel put on it chambered in 8mmX300RUM. Why? Because I can.:D AndI am after all The Recoil Junky! :p

RJ

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been shooting the 300RUM since Remington started chambering this caliber. I will say that I had a brake installed first thing just for the bench time behind this rifle. When hunting, I remove the brake and put a thread ring on to save my ears if/when I do need to squeeze the trigger. I have to admit that I struggled finding a bullet that would give me good accuracy and settled on the 180 gr triple X. Under the advice of the boys at Remington, I have switched to the 200 gr triple X and am working a new load now. Really does make sense, if I'm burning 85-90 grains of powder, I might as well deliver a heavy bullet on target. As they say in IDPA shooting, "speed is fine, but accuracy is final".

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
That's amazing that you can remove the brake and have your bullet shoot to the same point of aim. Every time I have removed a brake from a rifle barrel the point of impact hanged and the rifle had to be re-zeroed

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 300 RUM will do everything you need it to but if you feel the need for a 338 go with the 338 EDGE instead of the RUM, a LOT better ballisically, my dream gun in fact :)

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Got a friend with a 300 Ultra Christensen Arms with the fiberglass wrapped barrel. He uses the installed brake for the range and it came with a non-brake cap for hunting. Point of aim stays the same when he changes them around.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Allie, I think you have to ask yourself, how far are you planning on shooting? If your not planning on getting into long distance shooting, I say get a .338 Mag, not the ultra. The ultra wont do much more for you even at ranges of 600 yards, just a little less drop and a little more energy, but anything you are shooting wont know the difference. As also mentioned, your .30-06 is a great cartridge that is often over looked.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If I didn't already have a 338 Win Mag, I would be in line to get the 338UM. I like the case design and the ability to get a little extra stuff outta the 338 bullet. But, since I already have a 338 Win Mag, and it does everything I could hope for, I plan on keeping it for a long time. Scotty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts