Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in my Hornady load data there are several 150 grain .300 Weatherby loads that show a high end speed of 3500 fps. I wonder if anyone here has ever tried any of these or if you have achieved anything over 3400 fps for such a loading. I have used a 180 grain Nosler Partition with a max load of H1000 for years because it's extremely accurate in my rifle. I have had pass throughs on elk all but one time, and I can't complain about effectiveness. So naturally I wonder about other loads and if I can improve on this thing that works so well. I'm wondering about a lot more speed and a little less weight, and if I can get a good group going I might try a couple of hunts. I think my current loads clock at about 3050 or so judging by trajectory and published data. Another 4-500 fps would be interesting to me. I have always been a "heavy-for-caliber / cartridge kind of thinker, but I wonder if I'm not wasting a bit of energy on a thin-skinned animal like an elk? Any opinions on this experiment?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My opinion is that your "heavy for caliber" thinking was correct. The whole point of large cases is to use heavier bullets with the same trajectory as the lighter bullets in the smaller cases. I think using a 150 grain bullet in any .300 Mag is a waste of potential, and invites other problems like bullet fragmentation and excess meat damage.

I never use anything lighter than 180 grains in my .300 Win., and for elk and moose I move to the 200 grain bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
Our late moderator, Bob Faucett, had a good story on using 150gr. bullets in a .300 Win Mag, I think. Point being.... it was rather severe meat destruction. I can't do justice to his story so won't try. Heck I've seen that happen with poor bullet choices in the .30-06 so don't even want to contemplate adding the Weatherby to the equation.

I think he'd advise you to bust both shoulders, if you'd like them do die where they get shot and not someplace that would require strong language to get them out of.

If you're going to do some large-scale varmiting, and don't need meat / hide, then it might be fun. A coyote would literally never know what hit it... :eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a Ruger No.1 that I should have not sold. It is a .300 Win mag. It loves Sierra 150 flat base. 3 shot groups cons. 5/8 inch at 100 yds. If my uncles chronograph is correct 5 shots averaged 3450 fps. Was tons of fun on woodchucks and water jugs. I neck shot one deer with it so meat damage was minimal.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I purchased a bunch of 150gr Hornady factory ammo from Midway when it was on closeout a while back for the brass. I couldn't get any kind of accuracy and I suspect meat damage would be excessive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No experience with elk sized game with 150's but they did show some meat damage to the one medium whitetail I shot several years back with Hornady's 150 SP flat-based and at close range. My .300 Weatherby shoots the 150 Hornady SP within 1/2" groups at 100 and accuracy stays 1/2 moa out to 300 yards.
I don't think Hornady's data in their latest manual will get you to 3500fps with 4350 or the 4831 powders. I think they are a little optimistic about velocity with their max charges. At least in mine those max charges won't get 3500fps. I get 3425-3440fps with Weatherby max data using Norma MRP powder, Fed 215's, Weatherby cases, and a 26" MkV rifle. My testing with Norma MRP powder with the Hornady 150 SP doesn't get the published velocity advertised with the Weatherby data I have either. Maybe my rifle is a little slow ? . Hornady's max data is less than the Weatherby chart I have. I suspect that some of the data in Hornady's manual will get you around 3300fps but your results may differ. They used Hornady-Frontier cases rather than Weatherby cases in their ballistic tests and that may change the velocity results. With Remington cases I have to reduce load levels versus the Weatherby cases. Don't think I'd trust the 150 SP on elk especially at close range.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Many years back, I hunted with a guy who used a .300 with the factory Hornady bullet. His theory was it would kill with a hit just about anywhere, he wasn't a great shot. And it will kill a whitetail with about anything but a hoof shot.

150gr cup and core bullets, loaded up in a .300 Weatherby Magnum are pretty close to a bomb. At woodland ranges, shots to the front half of the body are incredibly destructive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
150's in Weatherby

Amen Saskshooter. what is the sense of having those big beautiful 300 Weatherby cases if ya ain't gonna stuff full of powder, throw a big heavy bullet on top and have a "**** of a good time" shootin em? hoorah!:)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
IMO "hot loading light non-premium bullets" in magnum cases (and factory light bullet loads in magnum cartridges) for hunting is a sign of lack of experience in shooting big game (fine for varmints and paper). IMO 180 and up for the .30s and 250s for the .33s and .35s. :rolleyes:. My late hunting buddy used 270 grain bullet in his .375 H&H for elk, but that's not exactly a light bullet although some prefer a 300 grain load. He didn't have much meat damage on the ones he shot while I hunted with him and claimed not to have much meat damage on a pronghorn he shot with it (he used a non-magnum .270 Win or 6mm Rem when I hunted deer and pronghorn with him).

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have hunted with the 300 Weatherby and killed Elk with the 180 Nosler Partition and it works but now I am shooting a 308 Norma and will be shooting the 200 gr Nosler Partition. I never cared for light bullets on big game.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's alive

We have reserectid a 6 yr old thread. :D
I made a choice to use a 150gr Barnes TTSX for elk one yr. Never again will I make that mistake,I like eating elk. Dropped that cow like a ton of bricks and was blood shot on one side from shoulder to the flanks. 180 gr loads for elk for me from then on with that rifle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
300 Wby 150 gr

In addition to being destructive to the meat of the game taken, I would think the rifles chamber would be getting destroyed with velocities that high. I can't imagine barrel life would be very lengthy - heck the 300 Wby was having that problem with 180 gr @ 3100 fps.

I too have shot 180 gr bullets for many years in my 300 Wby. But I reload 200 gr today!:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A monolithic 150 gr. will hold together on elk, most cup and core will not in that caliber, Noslers will blow the front off most of the time in that weight on elk size animals and kill them indeed, but if you like to eat elk I suggest you stay with the 180 or 200 gr. Noslers..The 150s at those velocities will blood shoot and enormous amount of edible meat..Actually my favorite elk medicine is the 200 gr. Nosler at 2900 FPS in my 26" barreled 300 H&H and that same bullet is deadly on Mule Deer..

·
Registered
978 Posts
Recovered

A monolithic 150 gr. will hold together on elk, most cup and core will not in that caliber, Noslers will blow the front off most of the time in that weight on elk size animals and kill them indeed, but if you like to eat elk I suggest you stay with the 180 or 200 gr. Noslers..The 150s at those velocities will blood shoot and enormous amount of edible meat..Actually my favorite elk medicine is the 200 gr. Nosler at 2900 FPS in my 26" barreled 300 H&H and that same bullet is deadly on Mule Deer..
I actually found that bullet under the off side hide about half way down the rib cage. IIRC the weight was 146gr approx. And it was a long shot......... 30yds :eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
In addition to being destructive to the meat of the game taken, I would think the rifles chamber would be getting destroyed with velocities that high. I can't imagine barrel life would be very lengthy - heck the 300 Wby was having that problem with 180 gr @ 3100 fps.

I too have shot 180 gr bullets for many years in my 300 Wby. But I reload 200 gr today!:)
I already shot my Weatherby barrel out. Got to get a new one. Sure was fun.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I like velocity also, but when it concerns game meat hunting I don't take risks in which I could lose one or destroy a bunch of good meat.

About as light as I'll go with the 300 WM is a 165 gr. Speer Hot Core for big mule deer, but the bonded Hot Core will maintain bullet integrity much better than most cup & cores will. They sail very flat and penetrate just fine from a Win. Mag., so I doubt the little bit of velocity increase with the 300 Weatherby Mag. probably wouldn't blow a 165 gr. Hot Core up. But given the choice I'd much prefer to go with a 180 gr. H.C. at right around 3k fps. for elk sized game.

I'll run the 150 gr. H.C. in 30-06 for deer also, not as much velocity as one of the magnums, but it'll still get up in the 3k fps range, which is fine for me.

SMOA

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
I could never see the reason for shooting an overly light bullet in a cartridge designed to do a specific job. Even in my 300 H & H, I never go lighter than 165, don't see the point. The cartridge is capable of throwing 180 to 200gr bullets very well and they will cleanly kill any elk put in the right place. When I first had the 300 I used some 150s and shot a couple of big fallow for a friend. What a mess, blood hydraulic through the meat destroyed all but the haunches. He was not a happy bear. My choice today would be a 180 Barnes TTSX.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after 6 years of farting around since I posted this thread I have settled back on the 180 grain partitions, and just for laughs I carry a few 110 grain V-Max on hunting trips in case I want to call up some yotes, or launch some prairie dogs out of their holes by shooting into the loose dirt ring around the rim of the burrow. Try that sometime if you are ever tempted to use a large mag on these critters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts