Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .300 Weatherby Ultralight. It's really accurate, my best is 1 1/4" Somebody who could shoot could probably do better. I've noticed that after about 6 shots it starts to string up. At about the 10th shot it will be about 8 inches high at 100 yards. That's letting it cool somewhat, not 10 straight shots. It has a very slender barrel contour, stainless, fluted. I've never had a rifle do this before. Is it just because of the slender barrel? After it cools down it shoots right back where it was originally hitting. I use this rifle just for hunting, it's not a rifle I like to sit and shoot all day, but I am concerned if there might be something up with barrel. Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Joel:

My guess is that the fluting is the culprit. Fluting is a pretty sophisticated process and it can create an imbalance in the barrel so that it stretches unevenly when heated. Most barrelmakers that flute barrels, won't do it to a light tube.I don't think that a high spot in the barrel channel would cause stringing that severe.

Take heart! if the first 3 or 4 go into a round group, you've got nothing to worry about. 3 or 4 300 wby rounds ought to take care of biz. for anything that's not armor plated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last group I shot with this gun was 1". Thats the best group I've ever shot with any rifle. 200 grain swift A-Frames. Just have to put up with the stringing I guess.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Joel B,
  It sounds to me like you are doing great. As long as your first shot from the cool barrel doesn't wander around from one session to another I wouldn't worry about the stringing. You won't be firing a group at game!          IDShooter

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from the range. Shot a 5 shot group that was 1 1/2"s. The group would have been just shy of an inch had it not been for the 1 "flyer". I also didn't notice the stringing either. The stringing was coming from factory 180 grain Core-Lokt's. Maybe the gun just doesn't like those. Loves the 200 grain bullets. I'm shooting about 5 rounds, then letting it cool while I shoot something else. I sure can't complain about the way it's shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had problems with vertical stringing in the past and was told a couple things that were dead on, at least for me.   a warm barrel will usually shoot to a different point of impact, try letting it cool for a full minute between each shot. also vertical stringing could possibly indicate a shooting technique problem, specifically breath control. I tried letting the barrel cool and did some serious work on controling my breathing and my groups tightened up considerably. just a couple of things that worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts