Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the new, March 2010 Rifle mag, saw an article about the latest/greatest wildcat...the 300 Whelen, aka the .30-35 Whelen.

Great ballistics w/ a wide range of bullet weights. Versatile as heck.

Check it out. If it gets popular we could give the 358 Win and the 358 Norma the same neckdown treatment with equally amazing results.

;)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Yup - think Spomer is pulling the same gag that Barness pulled some years ago with the "B-29" wildcat that actually was the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge. In this case, they necked the .35 Whelen down to .308 and made the .300, known as the 30-06 by any other name. :p

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Next thing ya know, they'll have a 25-35 Whelen...now THAT would be a really great cartridge! (JSR76 should love that! :) )

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The 35 Whelen is not improved, but if you necked it down to .308 and blew the neck out, that would surely be something nobody else ever thought of before! You could make the 35 Whelen cases from 30-'06 and then neck them down so you could fire-form them.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
So just so there is no confusion the .300 whelan is superior to the 30-06 and 30-06 A.I? I just looked for information on this round, found a little better info on 24 hr campfire but still not much, does anyone know what this really is? what type of advantage it offers over the AI '06? im confused on this one, waiting for you know it alls to step up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you can use 7.62 - '06 brass for it if you can't find any 300.:D

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
You're a cruel man, Saskshooter. ;) Having that poor guy use 7.62 brass when it would be so much easier to neck up the 6.8x64mm stuff...

·
Banned
434 Posts
I've been thinking about the .300 Whelen for years. It seems pretty good but it lacks the kind of magazine writeups that make a cartridge really effective and popular. Are any of the big gun writers behind this? Do you think they will ever commercialize it?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only down side is that the cartridge is too long for a Remington short action receiver. That's where the .30-358 Win finds a real niche. Now if those 338 Federal fans would just get with the program....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Actually, you could revive the old 7mm Express Remington cartridge by simply necking up as well, but that brass may be very hard to find now. I haven't seen any 7mm Rem. Express ammo, except at gun shows, in a long time.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Barness was making the point that the .30-06 is a fantastic cartridge and better than any short of the .375H&H. People hate the .30-06 because they it's a common cartridge. Put a goofy namr on it and they'd be all over it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.