Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of rebarelling a .223 to 300 Whisper for some time, and have no experience of the round, nor any idea of a suitable twist rate for the new barrel.
I would not be using a suppressor.
Any input is appreciated.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Call up SSK Industries in Wintersville, Ohio and ask them, they do excellent work.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have read that heavy, subsonic rounds do well in a 1:8 twist. I am just starting to look seriously at this cartridge myself, building an upper for my AR-15.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have read that heavy, subsonic rounds do well in a 1:8 twist. I am just starting to look seriously at this cartridge myself, building an upper for my AR-15.
I just finished up a 300 Whisper and had to do a few things to get it to cycle. I drilled the gas port in the barrel to .120 and added and adjustable gas block. Hope this helps

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
This was moved from Rifles and Rifle Cartridges forum due to the speciality of the cartridge to the Wildcat Cartridge forum.

This morning in reviewing my emails, found one from Hornady which says they're starting to load for this. That takes it from proprietary status to commercial and with that, we'll put it back in the previous forum. Sorry for the run-around, folks.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
This was moved from Rifles and Rifle Cartridges forum due to the speciality of the cartridge to the Wildcat Cartridge forum.

This morning in reviewing my emails, found one from Hornady which says they're starting to load for this. That takes it from proprietary status to commercial and with that, we'll put it back in the previous forum. Sorry for the run-around, folks.
I got the same e-mail, one round is a 110gr supersonic and the other is the 208gr A-Max that is subsonic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hornady just announced they are offering the 300 whisper so ammo should be much easier to get and it's on my wish list now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll tell you this, the 110gr and 240gr bullets will punch holes through deer the size of baseballs. I had one in a 16" A4 with a little 3-9x40 Leupold and it was my go to gun for damage tag deer. Adam

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'll tell you this, the 110gr and 240gr bullets will punch holes through deer the size of baseballs. I had one in a 16" A4 with a little 3-9x40 Leupold and it was my go to gun for damage tag deer. Adam
The 240gr bullets, at sub-sonic velocities would expand to leave very large exit wounds? I've got to say, I'm surprised by that. Not that they penetrate completely, but that the exit wound would be much larger than 30 caliber, with those slow, heavy bullets. Do they make a highly frangible 240gr bullet?

The Whisper cartridges are interesting, but I've never been all that fascinated with their ability to shoot heavy bullets slower than the speed of sound.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
240gr. .30 cal bullets are probably MatchKings. They may well behave different than ordinary soft points. It's my (limited) understanding of the .300 Whisper that the very heavy bullets are expected to tumble?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've shot this in a 10"bbl Contender and a 16"bbl AR, both with 1in10"bbls. Bullets up to 220gr would stabilize supersonic. 200gr was my limit when shooting 1100 fps or less. 1in8"bbls will spin the heavies fast enough to stabilize subsonic. Mind your loading discipline & this is near one-hole @100yds. FWIW....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts