Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any .300 Winnies out there savy to different barrel lengths for the .300 WM? Does cutting one back to 22" have a detrimental effect on terminal ballistics or accuracy?

Allen F.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,433 Posts
Alan,

The current Nosler and Speer manuals show 24" test barrels for their .300 Win Mag loads.

I would say, drop 50-75fps from their information to approximate what a 22" barrel will give you.

Take it from there.....

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,021 Posts
Ditto Mike G's comments.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Barrel length is always a trade-off; do you want handiness, or do you want velocity? Mike has described the velocity loss correctly. As far as accuracy, if the job is done correctly shortening the barrel won't change the accuracy potential of the barrel. You may find different loads will be accurate than used to be, because of the changed vibrational characteristics of the barrel. Then again, maybe not. But I wouldn't let worries about accuracy stop me from shortening a barrel - the biggest impact will be on your velocity (oh, and muzzle blast!) IDShooter

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I agree on the loss of velocity that Mike gave you. I will say that I hunted with a 300 Win mag for several years, also tried the shorten barrel routine down to 24, 22 inches, but the muzzle blast and muzzle jump was NOT in my favor or liking. I instead opted to keep a 26 inch barrel on the magnums from that time on.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I appreciate your views and experience.

Allen F. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
Some things just amaze me when I stand back and look at them from a mental distance. I also like my short handy rifles...but wonder about it. Given the same hunting area, will carry a 26" semi-auto 12ga. and not think about it...or a percussion side lock...or even a 30" percussion sXs 12ga.

But stand that 12ga. up next to nearly any bolt rifle, and it's WAY longer. Know balance and weight play a part in this, but hve decided if i can manuver one long-stick in the woods, can manuver any of them.

Balance does play a big role, and most bolt guns don't balance all that well..and the bad news is that making them shorter usally unballances them more, but the only thing that actaully is a pain to carry through the woods has be a bow.

---------------
Don't think there is a simple direct realtionship between barrel shortening and velocity loss. Believe it would be more on the order of proportion of the percentage of length change...a nice way of saying that bobbing a 30" barrel 2" will cost much less than bobbing a 20" one 2".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts