Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any "real world" experience with the .300 Win Mag out of a 20" tube in regards to fps. We've all seen the 50-75 fps per inch of barrel lost, but has any one chrono'ed this or have any hard velocity figures?

I've got a line on a .300 Win with a 20" barrel but Im not sure it will give any better performance than a .30-06 which I've already got.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
While it should give you more than a 20" .30-06, the whole reason for the .300 Magnums of any stripe is to do things that only a 24" barrel can accomplish with all that powder. Without the length you will just have a very loud mouthed .30-06.

I have never chronographed a 20" .300, so that is all just my opinion in a way, but ...... I'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
It's science...not real-world experience. The 300WM has a high case capacity which allows it to hold/burn more powder, creating pressure for a greater length of time. None of which is of any value if the barrel corking all that pressure is too short to realize its full potential. Magnum rifles give a modicum of improved performance, but it absolutely requires each of the components to be in place or what you wind up with is the performance of a "lesser" cartridge. Buy a 26 inch-barreled 300 WM and then load a reduced charge in the case, topped off with cream o' wheat. Now you have a 30-40 Krag. Or, buy a 300RUM with a 20" barrel and call it a 300WM?

Or, look at it the other way: Buy the gun and tell yourself it's a souped up 308 Winchester! It's all just a matter of perspective, anyway.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that a .300 WM shines with the 26" barrel. My interest in this gun with the 20" barrel is in its handling. I dont hunt fields or open spaces and alot of it is on foot pushing deer so a long barrel is like weilding a 2x4. That said, the maybe, someday, possibly I'll have a shot at X yards and the extra wallop will come in handy. We all know how that goes.

I am more curious if anyone has real velocity numbers for me so I can decide if this will just be a glorified -06 so to speak.

Perhaps maybe deep down I'm just looking for a way to justify a new gun:rolleyes::).....

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
It'll be loud. Having said that, I understand your motivation. For hunting from fixed blinds, and "pest control" out the window of a pickup truck :D I was amazed how much handier a 22" barrel was than a 24." Eventually, for quick handling in close quarters, I dropped down to a 20" barreled Marlin and can say it's the best thing I have for getting a shot out the driver's side window in a hurry :eek:

(Yeah I know :rolleyes: but we need pigs to be dead, more than we need the shot to be sporting).

I'm a believer in making the rifle fit the way you want it, and worry about the velocity or inch-lbs. or whatever, later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
The following calculations were done using QuickLoad, so they are only highly educated guesses. Your results will not be exactly the same, but they will follow the general patten shown below.

When filling a 300WM with 4831 under a 180gr bullet, one might expect to lose roughly 200fps. This load will give ~3080 from a 26" barrel, down to 2875fps from a barrel that is 20 inches long. (Note that the typical velocity loss of 25fps is exceeded, due to the nature of a magnum cartridge needing a longer barrel to do its job.)

A 30-'06 loaded with a full case of 4350 under the same bullet, shot from a 24" barrel, gives 2825fps. The same load from a 20" barrel clocks in right around 2700fps. I chose these lengths as being realistic, given the cartridge in question. A 24" barrel on an '06 is approximately 50fps slower than a 300WM, with a 20" barrel. Keep in mind you will need 20 more grains of powder and need to deal with tremendous muzzle blast and flash, in doing so.

A magnum rifle with a 20" barrel is like a big-block V8 with a computer shutting off half of the cylinders. Difference is, the engine will provide you with the extra power when you need it, whereas the rifle is permanently handicapped from providing its intended level of performance. My advice is to pass on it unless you really just wanted an '06, anyway.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks broom_jm, that the kind of data I was looking for.

I know the muzzle flash may be excessive and the ballistics may be compromised, but I think Im willing to give up a little to gain a lot in the handling department.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to follow up on this thread, I bought the gun this morning which was posted on gunbroker. Its a NIB Browning Acera battue in .300 WM in case anyone is curious, and Im having trouble wiping the smile off my face from the price I got it at! She should go nicle with the .30-06 Acera I've already got.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think it will be that bad. I assume you'll be wearing hearing protection except for a few shots at live game. I live in Pennsylvania where it seems half the hunters use Remington pumps and tons of them are 18.5" 30-06's. I shot one once and itreally didn't seem much different than a 22" gun.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think the rifle will be a favorite at the bench...my -06 Acera with 22" barrel weighs about 7 pounds scoped. This 300 WM will remain open sighted at about 6.5 lb and from the looks of the picture the recoil pad is about 1/4" thick or may even by just a hard buttplate. Oh well, I bought the gun to hunt with and I wont feel the recoil at all in the woods.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If there was ever a need for a muzzle-brake, this is it !!! Don't forget those shooting muffs !!! It would make a great bear rifle. Load it up with heavy bullets and put a good low-power scope on it. Heavyweight .30 cal. bullets are fairly long and should penetrate well. HD1

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
If there was ever a need for a muzzle-brake, this is it !!! Don't forget those shooting muffs !!! It would make a great bear rifle. Load it up with heavy bullets and put a good low-power scope on it. Heavyweight .30 cal. bullets are fairly long and should penetrate well. HD1
Why do you say that? It's only going to kick like an '06, especially if he handloads it with a slightly faster powder and a smaller charge that will burn more completely, in the shorter barrel. Adding a brake to this gun is totally unnecessary and will just make a LOUD gun LOUDER! Your advice on heavy bullets is good, but combine that with somewhat reduced charges of faster burning powder and it won't make any more noise than a 20" 30-'06 rifle. The irony is that it won't have any more range than an '06 either, despite what's stamped on the barrel.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The irony is that it won't have any more range than an '06 either, despite what's stamped on the barrel.
As you know I did consider the velocity loss that I can expect from this gun, truth be told I dont really care either. I can tell you with 99% certainty that this gun will never take a deer at over 100 yards so range isnt an issue (and even so I must have missed the memo about the -06 not having the legs to reach out and touch game at responsible hunting ranges:)).

As far as the noise, yeah she'll have some bark, hearing protection will be worn at the range, not in the woods but that comes with the territory.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
In my eyes, to cut the barrel of a .300 Win mag down some 6 inches is not in the best interest of the hunter nor the rifle. If velocity is not that important, then get yourself a 45/70 or 444 lever gun and hack the barrel down a few inches. You will be shooting a lot more bullet weight and also much bigger wound channel up close. Just my 2 cents worth!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you want a short rifle, get a single-shot breech loader. My T/C Encore PH with a 28" barrel on it is an inch shorter than my Browning A-Bolt .30-06. With my 24" .260 barrel, it handles very well in a tree stand while still having a 'full length' barrel. Obviously, you can drop down to a 20" barrel and it should be very short.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok, if you are not goint to shoot a deer over 100 yards with this 20" barrel 300 Win mag. Whats the point of having the magnum? If you want a short barrel magnum. Go with a 375 Ruger or a Guide gun.

If it is stopping power you want inside of a 100 yards, there are lots of choices out there for that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts