Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I ran across a guy that had a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. He won the gun in at a compnay event in some sort of raffle and had never even taken it out of the box. He only wanted $400.00 for it, so I snapped it up. It's a larger cartridge than anything I would normally consider, but I just couldn't pass it up. I'd like to build a target rifle out of it, and have been intrigued my .338 caliber stuff. I know that bullet selection is getting better in that caliber. I'd like to put a Kreiger barrel on it and was wondering about haveing it done in .338 Win Mag. Are the cases the same, or do you have to modify the bolt face and extractor? Also, how much more recoil will the .338 Win Mag produce over the .300?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just off the top of my head, recoil for some 300 Win Mag loads are in the 29 lbs range and 338 Win Mag is in the 34 range.

Looked it up:

.300 Win. Mag. (150gr at 3320fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 23.5 ftlbs
.300 Win. Mag. (165gr at 3110fps), rifle weight: 8.0 lbs, recoil: 26.2 ftlbs
.300 Win. Mag. (180gr at 2960fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 25.9 ftlbs
.300 Win. Mag. (200gr at 2950fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 30.9 ftlbs

.338 Win. Mag. (180gr at 2960fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 28.9 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (200gr at 2950fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 32.8 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (200gr at 3000fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 33.3 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (210gr at 2872fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 34.1 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (225gr at 2780fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 35.2 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (225gr at 2780fps), rifle weight: 9.0 lbs, recoil: 29.1 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (250gr at 2650fps), rifle weight: 8.5 lbs, recoil: 37.0 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (250gr at 2660fps), rifle weight: 9.0 lbs, recoil: 32.1 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (250gr at 2700fps), rifle weight: 9.0 lbs, recoil: 36.8 ftlbs
.338 Win. Mag. (250gr at 2745fps), rifle weight: 9.0 lbs, recoil: 38.0 ftlbs

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Recently, I ran across a guy that had a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. He won the gun in at a compnay event in some sort of raffle and had never even taken it out of the box. He only wanted $400.00 for it, so I snapped it up. It's a larger cartridge than anything I would normally consider, but I just couldn't pass it up. I'd like to build a target rifle out of it, and have been intrigued my .338 caliber stuff. I know that bullet selection is getting better in that caliber. I'd like to put a Kreiger barrel on it and was wondering about haveing it done in .338 Win Mag. Are the cases the same, or do you have to modify the bolt face and extractor? Also, how much more recoil will the .338 Win Mag produce over the .300?

The bolt face is the same and no feed rail modifications for the caliber conversion. The case for the 338 Win is shorter thant the 300 Win and are not the same

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
I'd start with the .300, just a thought. Put a few rounds downrange to get the hang of it (if you aren't an already experienced shooter with that genre). The .300 Win can do well, and there are heavy-for-caliber match bullets that may work. Sierra 220gr. Matchking should do OK and I think perhaps there is a 240g. Matchking? Not sure what twist rate it needs. Any easy way to get started since you have the rifle already, just need dies and brass and components.

Anyway, wear out a few .300 WM cases, and then when you are ready for a new barrel you can decide to step up to the .338 if need be. Long-range shooters with .338s like the 300grain bullets, if memory serves. I think that is what JWP is using in his .338 Lapua, among other choices. It will be a bit of a step up in recoil.

Good luck......

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you will find more 300 WMs on the line then the 338. The 300 has proven its self, and the recoil is lighter. Also there are more Match Bullets in 308.

I've shot the 300 WM in 1000 yard matches for over 30 years and its suited me well, but I'm getting winpy in my old age so I'm going the other way.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Yeah, really. If the 300 win mag shoots very well to 1000 yards and can shoot some heavy boolits at high velocities, why not shoot that for a while?

I enjoyed my 300 win mag although I felt i needed to thin out some of my guns and i elected to let that one go. It shot very well. And it could take any game in North America. And it could reach out really far too.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I LOVE my 338. Great round for varmints to elk.
That being said, if I had a 300 I don't think that I would bother with a new barrel. The 300 will do what you want. The 338 has great bullets with great sectional density but for the cost of a quality barrel and a quality smith to install it I don't think the 338 is going to be the type of upgrade that is worth the cost.
If you want a 338 (who wouldn't??), you should look at the cost of the conversion and just put that to a new rifle. If you don't want to go that route and you have to have the 338, I would sell the 300. What you could get out of the 300 plus the cost of a quality job of converting it should buy you a nice 338 and at least go a good ways to buying a nice scope.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
if you shoot it as a 300 and enjoy it and the recoil doesn't bother you too badly and you absolutely have to have a 338 i'd find a factory take off bbl. and give that a try...
i wonder about your level of experience as it is quite obvious that you don't have any experience with either cartridge and i gotta tell ya both cartridges in question are a bit harsh in my opinion for someone new to shooting. good luck and don't develope a flinch as they are a ***** to get rid of!

·
Banned
467 Posts
I went to a new range the first time with my 223, 243, and 300 Wing Mag. I had just put new scopes on each of them and I want to check the bore sighting work done to them. Some guys were playing cards in the range house. I was shooting out to 200 yards. I got the 223 and the 243 shooting really well and then loaded up the 300 Win Mag with some factory loads. The first round barked and I heard "Holy Jesus Mary and Joseph!!!" and the range house window was abruptly closed!

I went in the range house when I was done and the guys all asked--"What on earth was THAT last gun" I told them and I said I hoped it was okay to bring it (as I said it was a new range). They said sure it was fine I just shocked the living daylights out of them especially compared to the reports of the 223 and the 243. ...The 300 Win Mag is a mighty round.

·
Inactive account
596 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 300 win mag. If you look in the Boone & Crocket record book. If I am not mistaken there has been more trophy animals taken with the 300 win mag in the last while than any other caliber. I have at least 5 buddies that have started to use it in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Both are fine rounds,recoil is subjective different stocks,weight and shooting style are all a factor in felt recoil.Shooting off a bench can be unpleasant with both if you tense up and lean into recoil.If you hold it firm and alow your shoulder to roll with recoil it takes a lot of sting out it.One caveat you have to have a good cheek weld to stock if you don't,rifle and shoulder roll back,head stays still,scope hits eyebrow usually cutting it.I use this technique with my 375 h+h and can put a box a shells thru it and not get bruised up.Shooting in field recoil shouldn't be a problem,still need a good cheek weld though with rifle that has a pretty good kick,cause you can still get scope eye off hand

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with several of the posters above. I cant think of a single scenario that would make the 338WM better than a 300WM for what you want to do with it. If it were me, I would wear the 300WM barrel out first. After you put 4 or 5k rounds down range and feel the 300 just doesnt cut it...go get you a 338 barrel put it on and enjoy.

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
37 Posts
...recoil is subjective different stocks,weight and shooting style are all a factor in felt recoil...
I generally agree with this statement but not here....same stock, action and shooter. Recoil will be heavier in the 338WM with out a doubt. That being said, I've had a few of each over the years and dont think either is something to worry about. To many people out there are scared to death over a little recoil. You want the heavy weight bullets at high velocity, there will be recoil. With proper technique and lots of practice, its nothing most people cant learn to handle, some just dont want to put the time and effort into it. YMMV.

Regards,

Josh

·
Banned
467 Posts
He wants a .338, so why dont all ya .300 mag fans accept that! :D LOL
Bark--- I guess because the original post said--"It's a larger cartridge than anything I would normally consider, but I just couldn't pass it up. I'd like to build a target rifle out of it..."

As a target rifle the 300 win mag can more than answer the call and for someone who would not normally consider a round THAT BIG jumping up to the 338 would be an even SIGNIFICANTLY larger jump out of comfort zone...

300 wing mag has long dominated the long range target rifle 'market'. But yea I hear you, I don't understand why we often try to tell people what they don't want on this forum... hahahahahaha

·
Banned
105 Posts
He wants a .338, so why dont all ya .300 mag fans accept that! :D LOL
I know you are joking but.... If you read my post, you will see that I LOVE the 338! I just don't think that based on what he's looking for the 300 is a way cheaper way to go since he has one and the perceived upgrade probably won't be there for him.
I think everyone should have two 338's!! But then again I think you should have at least two of everything.
One standard bolt gun, one single shot, maybe one target gun, for some an encore pistol barrel also.... Am I missing any options??
Come to think of it, I do have doubles of several calibers!
I still need a 300 by the way. It would fit nice between the 7mm's and 338 upstairs...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
While I'm never one to discourage the "new rifle" urge for any reason.........I gotta agree with the majority here. The .300 Win will suit you as good to 1000 yards or better than a .338 WM. Whether there's much truth to it or not.....the .300 WM is considered by many to be the "inherently accurate by design" belted magnum. Kinda like the .308 Win. Look around. There's a good many tactical chamberings in .300 WM. I can't think of any in .338 WM. As far as recoil goes.......you ain't gonna notice the difference in like rifles. The .338 WM generates more recoil on paper. But I've never noticed a lick of difference when shooting them.

That being said...............if you wanna contribute to your smith's economy and have a hankering for a .338 WM, then by all means..................

·
Registered
550 Posts
It does not seem to make much sense to rebuild a new in the box rifle into something similar, unless money is no concern. The 300 Win, Mag will do about anything one needs unless heading to Africa.

I once was a big fan on the .338 because then the 250-grain bullet offered much more effectiveness on our largest game. Today, we have better bullets and the 300 gives you a 270 Winchester trajectory with 50 more grains of bullet.

If you want to build a rifle, sell the one you have since in is new and buy a magnum, there are plenty Remington 7mm magnums out there and it would make more sense to use and older gun if you are going to replace the barrel and probably stock.

If you do not have much experience with magnums, you should test one out, some men have trouble shooting the 300 and if so, then the 338 would be the same case, even more recoil.

Anyway you look at it, it seems more sensible to me not to rebuild on a new rifle when you could find a good receiver on one that might have some barrel wear of stock nicks, when you plan to change this out anyway.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I know you are joking but.... If you read my post, you will see that I LOVE the 338! I just don't think that based on what he's looking for the 300 is a way cheaper way to go since he has one and the perceived upgrade probably won't be there for him.
I think everyone should have two 338's!! But then again I think you should have at least two of everything.
One standard bolt gun, one single shot, maybe one target gun, for some an encore pistol barrel also.... Am I missing any options??
Come to think of it, I do have doubles of several calibers!
I still need a 300 by the way. It would fit nice between the 7mm's and 338 upstairs...
Actually to be honest a .300 WM makes more sense as a 1000 yard match gun than a .338 WM. Thats about the only situation i could think of where a .300 WM is better than a .338 WM in any way, shape, or form.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.