Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site so I believe my first order of business should be to say thanks.

Now on with the business at hand. I have been in contact with Bryan Jonson of Jonson Arms regarding his 7.62 Jonson. The parent case to this round is the .416 Rigby. I have a 300 WSM 700 Remington action that I can use (if possible) for this project. Question is,if I can have the bolt face opened from .535 (WSM) to .590 (Rigby) will there be enough meat left on the bolt face to be safe? Another option is to go with a rifle already chambered for .416 Rigby but I would really like to use the 700 action.

Thanks in advance for your comments, considerations and criticisms.

Tim

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

Hopefully this won't be your only foray here, because you're probably not going to like the answer you get to this question. I don't think I would trust the bolt face if that much material was removed. With the exception of the Savage, with its interchangeable bolt face, I'm not sure of any other way to reach your goal, other than buying an action already designed for a cartridge of those dimensions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
broom_jm,

Thanks. That's the major concern. On his web page Bryan has a sweet looking Ruger #1 and informs me that he has another .416 Rigby tucked away that he might be willing to part with so I guess that is another solution.

Again thanks,

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.